S&W 642 Belly gun?

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

S&W 642 Belly gun?

Post by Boriqua »

Was rumaging through pictures looking for something and came across a photo of a target I shot. When I was considering a pocket gun I was already pretty sure it would be a revolver. I did a bunch of reading on the 642 and nearly to a person on both S&W forums referred to it as a "belly gun" or a "git off me" gun not suited for anything but "bad breath distances"

Tombstone sent me an email with their specials In November this year and I picked up a 642 Centennial Airweight at $325 OTD.

Didnt know really what to expect from the tiny light weight gun but I figured ... meh lets forget all you read and give it a solid try. At 8 yds .. not a huge distance but not bad breath distance ... here are my very first 5 shots ever fired through the gun.

Admittedly a touch high and left since I was aiming for the 9 but ... I love the little gun and it spends a great deal of time in my pocket. I have shot it several times since then on revolver days and it still impresses me.

Guess ... you cant always listen to the internet experts unless bad breath distance has extended to 8 yds. :D
642target.jpg

Basher

Re: S&W 642 Belly gun?

Post by Basher »

Not bad! I picked one up recently at a good price as well, but have yet to shoot it. Grabbed a few hundred rounds of 158gr SWC and 148gr WC that I'm going to try out in it to see how it does. I also have the Apex spring kit to install, and I need to buy a safety plug as I'll be removing the Hillary Hole safety in the process. I picked it up for similar uses, drop it into a pocket while out to get the mail, walking the dog, comfy around the house carry, etc. More of a gym shorts gun when a G48 or G19 would have my pants around my ankles, haha.

I've heard several stories of guys being able to make impressive shots with them. Ultimately, it all comes down to practice. Sure, the little 1.875" barrel isn't much, the sights are terrible, and the trigger's not fantastic out of the box, but lots of dry fire can fix a lot of that. Glad to see yours did well. What ammo were you shooting out of it?
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Basher wrote: August 13th, 2020, 1:58 pm Not bad! I picked one up recently at a good price as well, but have yet to shoot it. Grabbed a few hundred rounds of 158gr SWC and 148gr WC that I'm going to try out in it to see how it does. I also have the Apex spring kit to install, and I need to buy a safety plug as I'll be removing the Hillary Hole safety in the process. I picked it up for similar uses, drop it into a pocket while out to get the mail, walking the dog, comfy around the house carry, etc. More of a gym shorts gun when a G48 or G19 would have my pants around my ankles, haha.

I've heard several stories of guys being able to make impressive shots with them. Ultimately, it all comes down to practice. Sure, the little 1.875" barrel isn't much, the sights are terrible, and the trigger's not fantastic out of the box, but lots of dry fire can fix a lot of that. Glad to see yours did well. What ammo were you shooting out of it?
I was shooting my own reloads which were 158gr coated lead SWC over 4.5 gr of Hp38 and a magnum primer. I have tried and am carrying with

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collectio ... 5707458617

I also shot a box of the Federal HST 38+p .. nice accurate round and meant for short barrels! My wife carries it in her snubby. The recoil is very manageable.

I actually dont mind the trigger .. a little rough but it is consistent through the pull. I can deal with heavy or rough just not weird.

Sweet little gun .. I dont water the garden without it in my pocket.
Oh and I made a mistake .. that was the first 10 shots!
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Very nice shooting, Alex. You're Ready For The Revolution.

I have a 342 (Titanium) that I hadn't shot in years.
This morning I drove down to Casa Grande range with a friend who always carries his 342 on his ankle. So, I busted out my old Renegade holster and strapped mine on.
We didn't shoot slow fire for small groups. We drew from the ankle, shot 2 shots on a 7 yard silhouette, 2 shots on a 10 yard silhouette, and one shot on a 10 inch steel plate at 20 yards. All center hits on paper, all first round hits on the plate.
Not my first choice, but if all I had in a fight was a "belly gun," I would not throw it down and surrender.

BTW, here is what Clint Smith has to say about ankle guns:
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

Yeah, I've been using M642's for concealed carry for a couple of decades now. I still have a M642 stashed and I still carry a well worn M442 sometimes. All my J frame Smiths have always been exceptionally good shooters for being little guns.

Nonetheless, I've been using small 9mm autos for concealment the last few years because of the need for more firepower. Having only 5 rounds in a concealment gun leaves something to be desired in today's world. However, the reliability of the little revolvers is second to none and that's something you can't always say for some of the small 9mm autos.

When I do carry a J frame I use the Gold Dot 135 grain ammo for short barrels and I don't feel at much disadvantage because of the power. It's just the small capacity that's causing me to move toward retiring the J frame Smiths. Despite all that I still carry them on occasion.
OH-MAN

Post by OH-MAN »

smithers599 wrote: August 13th, 2020, 3:03 pm Very nice shooting, Alex. You're Ready For The Revolution.

I have a 342 (Titanium) that I hadn't shot in years.
This morning I drove down to Casa Grande range with a friend who always carries his 342 on his ankle. So, I busted out my old Renegade holster and strapped mine on.
We didn't shoot slow fire for small groups. We drew from the ankle, shot 2 shots on a 7 yard silhouette, 2 shots on a 10 yard silhouette, and one shot on a 10 inch steel plate at 20 yards. All center hits on paper, all first round hits on the plate.
Not my first choice, but if all I had in a fight was a "belly gun," I would not throw it down and surrender.

BTW, here is what Clint Smith has to say about ankle guns:
Is there anyone better than Clint?
Just his voice scares the crap out of me.
I use a 642 in my pocket sometimes.
I kind of like it.
maddock

Post by maddock »

The J frame Smith (442 for me) is my all-the-time and has been for over 25 years. The action smoothed out at about 3000 cycles and I've never had a malfunction in the 8000+ rounds. Of course, I clean regularly.
needsmostuff

Post by needsmostuff »

A 442 , works for some , not so much for others. Either you get it or don't .
Mine is neither a range gun , nor a full time carry gun . Mine is a convenient grab and go piece for a quick trips and social interactions.
The reason mine works so well at this is the seldom seen these days "hip grip"
Lost in the Tacticool world of today they are stupid simple and work so well for this application.
Tucked in front , under a shirt ,about 1 o clock it becomes virtually invisible . Unobtrusive ? I can actually forget its there. Hooked in a front pocket ? The grip is ready for a good solid grab. It looks like it would be in the way shooting , NOPE , feels good.

ImageImage
Harley66

Post by Harley66 »

Love the little S&W
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

shoot I even put mine in a freezer bag and stick it in my bathing trunks when I go tubing! Small enough and light enough to have it with me and not really notice
TriggerFish

Post by TriggerFish »

the 642 + Craig Spegel boot grips has been a long time pocket occupant
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Ooooo those grips are sweet!