Kind of a half ass review of the M&P2.0

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Kind of a half ass review of the M&P2.0

Post by Boriqua »

I was really on the fense when I thought I needed a plastic 9mm. I handled the M&P and the CZ p10c and was torn but in the end I think the 10c was a touch cheaper, I have had a handful of other CZ's and really like them and the grip was sublime. So the P10c found its way here.

I decided once again .. I really dont need a 9mm and sold it off. Nice gun but I have personal reasons for tapering my collection to certain firearms and a 15/17 round 9mm didnt fit.

Recently I did an IWB for a board member for his M&P 9mm compact. He encouraged me to shoot it but I never shoot guns when the person isnt there with me so I didnt take him up on his generous offer but I did put a few snap caps in and try the trigger and just basically pointed it and gripped it and ... wow .. I really liked it. The trigger was far better than the M&P 1.0 I had tried, much better than the glocks I owned and while not quite as nice as the CZ p10c .... was pretty close.

Went ahead and bought an M&P 2.0 in 40S&W. It comes with 4inch barrel and short grip and is about the same as a glock 19 in size and comes with 2 13 round mags and while I am no great shakes .. here are some of my impressions.

The gun with the medium back strap is absolutely perfect in my hand. Oh my does it fit nice. Add to that the super aggressive texturing and this gun doesnt move. Its truly locked in nicely and you can run off a rapid string and the sights bounce right back to target.

I thought the cut out windows showing the steel inserts was cool looking and I think the overall package is attractive and I really like the slide profile but wasnt sure if the steel inserts was gimmick or a real plus.

Im here to tell you .. the steel insert is awesome!! It makes the gun dead and approaches a steel gun in its recoil impulse. I am a death grip guy and the P10c was buzzy in your hand. Nothing that made for bad shooting but you could definitely feel buzz. Glocks for me feel like wet noodles especially in heavier calibers and I feel like I have to wait for the gun to settle before follow up shooting.

The M&P in 40 ... dead! just a nice solid feeling experience with a good push but no flex or buzz.

The sights are fine, steel and with giant white dots. I dont think I will be changing them.

Has a super tight full supported chamber.

The trigger ..

on my first outing I thought I would hate the tightly curved trigger. I damaged my trigger finger years ago so its a little misshapen and it looked like it would be a torture device but its not bad at all. the hinge gives way when you are shooting but .. its still a pretty tight curve.

There is a fair amount of pickup but its not spongy so you know where you are in the trigger stroke. The break is solid snap with a nice wall which I prefer. Its not super light but for me just about perfect. I found in super slow fire target type stuff I can feel a little crunch just at the spot where you are about to engage the sear then break. There are youtube videos on home trigger jobs and there are after market triggers but I generally like the trigger a lot and if anything I may do some polish but I will wait and see. You never notice it in regular firing. Only when going for super super tight shot and really stroking the trigger slowly. I have been out with the gun 5 times and only noticed it at my last outing. Before my last outing I would have given the trigger a solid 9 but now that I know the crunch is there .. maybe an 8 ... 8.5.

Reset can be heard across the room and its a nice solid feel. Reset is a 10!

I paid $450 OTD for mine and have since added a 3rd mag. Gun is a keeper and I highly recommend it. I like metal guns but always have a plastic one around and have owned a ton. Of all of them .. I think out of the box with no mods .. this is my favorite. Just easy and fun to shoot well and really a nice tool that gives you the right kind of feedback if you enjoy shooting for shooting.

Again .. like I said in the 1911 thread .. I am no wyatt earp and there are a sh*t ton of people on this board who can out shoot me everyday of the week but here are some targets.

Here are the first 6 ever fired from the gun at 7 yds
20200618_105925.jpg
Couple weeks later fast fire .. not as fast as I could pull the trigger but what I call my combat speed. I dont believe in spray and pray so figure 2 shots a second and at 10 yds.
20200618_105628.jpg
Then this past thursday ... 25 yds quick. I would say these were about a shot a second. I fired the first one and hit close to the x and followed up as soon as th sight fell inline. Got a little climb so it gives me something to work on next time
20200806_091059.jpg
Nice gun, nice price and I highly recommend it!!!
Last edited by Boriqua on August 9th, 2020, 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

smithers599

Re: Kind of a half ass review of the M&P2.0

Post by smithers599 »

If you can make head shots at 25 at any speed, you are GTG!

You mentioned the aggressive texturing. That is the one thing that bothers me. I carry IWB next to bare skin and it is more like a cheese grater than sandpaper. Of course, I am a delicate little flower, so there's that. I wrapped tape around the grip frame. Looks ugly, but aesthetic appearance is not a big factor for a gun that will be carried concealed, right?
Twobadazbrothers

Post by Twobadazbrothers »

Where did you find this gem in stock and priced right ?
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Twobadazbrothers wrote: August 9th, 2020, 10:49 am Where did you find this gem in stock and priced right ?
I got it on gun broker maybe 3 months ago. 40 isn't as popular as 9 so one dealer had 4 at $399.00 no credit card up charge and no tax. I get good deals on gun broker by adding a search term and then just waiting on a good deal. At 399.00 I had to jump and don't regret it. I will check my receipt but with my ffl I know it wasn't more than $450 all in.

Edited .
Ok I just checked and my original quote was wrong. It was $399.99 no tax and no CC fee. $25 shipping and $25 for my FFL so $450 total. absolutely a bargain!!

I find there are a few dealers on gun broker that get bulk and just want the fast cash and will have 10 of something at a killer price. they are gone quick but if you have something you want and keep checking I have gotten some awesome deals being a little patient and fishing

I picked it up the first week in June this year and it has about 200 rounds through it now.
Last edited by Boriqua on August 9th, 2020, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twobadazbrothers

Post by Twobadazbrothers »

Thanks for the response I'll keep my eye on gunbroker
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Twobadazbrothers wrote: August 9th, 2020, 11:10 am Thanks for the response I'll keep my eye on gunbroker
Here is the seller I got it from. Just checked and he doesnt have any at the moment but looking at what he has ... his prices are still pretty fair compared to what I have been seeing. Maybe put him on your watch list?

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?In ... rs=3081269