Favorite handgun sights and configuration

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Bigfoot
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Favorite handgun sights and configuration

Post by Bigfoot »

My eyes don't like any kind of traditional sight anymore. So it's red dots all the way now. Holusun is dot of choice.

schiffer99

Post by schiffer99 »

sharp wrote: July 30th, 2020, 7:46 am I am really liking the Ameriglo agent sights I have on 3 Glock pistols!
Ditto for me. Have these on all my iron sights glocks. Love the rear u-notch.
RufusXG

Post by RufusXG »

Another vote for the Steyr trapezoidal sights. They're huge and align naturally. Wish I could put them on every handgun.
Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

Well, I am not sure if I should ask a question in this thread, but, a few have mentioned darkened rear sights. I do not understand the purpose of darkened rear sights, especially in low light conditions.
Can someone explain it to the confused?
A65453
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by A65453 »

Desert Rat wrote: March 7th, 2021, 8:40 pm Well, I am not sure if I should ask a question in this thread, but, a few have mentioned darkened rear sights. I do not understand the purpose of darkened rear sights, especially in low light conditions.
I'm looking at the front sight and don't want all that noise in the foreground. I also like my front sights to be very thin, 0.090" or so.

Low light isn't the darkness of a blacked out closet. You can still see dark sights and your practice should get your index to drop them right between your eyes and target.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Desert Rat wrote: March 7th, 2021, 8:40 pm Well, I am not sure if I should ask a question in this thread, but, a few have mentioned darkened rear sights. I do not understand the purpose of darkened rear sights, especially in low light conditions.
I have been running blacked out rear now for a couple of years. I recently changed out my Sig229 front sight to a TFO which I prefer hands down over the TFX and just took black marker to the rear dots.

Like most folk when they get a little older its not the long vision that goes but the short vision. As a younger guy I had eagle vision but as I get older my long range vision has suffered a touch its the inside 3 ft that really went south. Cant read a damn thing without glasses.

So .. at arms length the rear sight are just a blur and it makes for a confusing mess of a sight picture. With a GOOD dot out front and black outed rear I can fairly well point and shot as I pick up the front sight so much faster. In my perfect world I like a wide notch in back giving nice space left and right for the front sight. I am faster "NOW" with that set up. Cant change what father time does so .. I adjust.

My early guns and my still favorite gun is revolvers. My Ruger GP100 is a 3inch with gutter. I have always lined up the tops of the sights and the rear dots meant little even when I was younger.
A65453

Post by A65453 »

AZ1182 wrote: March 20th, 2021, 10:54 amI live where one step outside, is flat out dark at night. Just the stars if not overcast. Zero light pollution. That means no light at all or barely even with a full moon out. You are not going to see anything at all.
So how do you even see or identify a potential target? If you can't see anything at all, how do you know that humanoid shape isn't your wife?