S&W 629-4, 44 magnum

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Bigfoot
ArizonaShooting.org Member

S&W 629-4, 44 magnum

Post by Bigfoot »

I just got an 8 3/8th's in barreled model from my aunt.

It was her husband's, but he passed away some time ago. This one has been sitting in her safe for the better part of 17 years. He bought it in early 1996. By the model number it was made some time between 1988 and 1990.

Is there anyway to find more info on this gun?

cool arrow

Re: S&W 629-4, 44 magnum

Post by cool arrow »

have you looked here yet?
https://www.smith-wesson.com/repaired_serials/index.php

S&W has databases by serial number that can give good info
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

cool arrow wrote: June 25th, 2020, 2:47 pm have you looked here yet?
https://www.smith-wesson.com/repaired_serials/index.php

S&W has databases by serial number that can give good info
It didn't like the number.
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

sorry, I used to know the right link to the database but have not used it in a few years.
Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

Thanks. I joined and asked the question.
Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

cool arrow wrote: June 25th, 2020, 3:19 pm sorry, I used to know the right link to the database but have not used it in a few years.
When I searched before asking here, that's the one that came up. So I'm not sure what's up with it.
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

I don't know.

I have used it a few times, look up every S&W I get, but haven't picked one up in quite awhile.
Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

cool arrow wrote: June 25th, 2020, 3:35 pm I don't know.

I have used it a few times, look up every S&W I get, but haven't picked one up in quite awhile.
From a guy on the S&W site.

"Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Because, for whatever reason, S&W didn't include those in the data they gave to Supica and Nahas who authored the book. Over the last few years, S&W has distanced itself from the collector community. They eliminated the historian position and cut off his access to company data. They dropped the authentication letters which forced the historian to move to the Historical Foundation for support. You can still get an historian's letter of authentication, but it comes from the Historical Foundation, not S&W. They mine the information they have but have no access to current S&W info."
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Bigfoot wrote: June 25th, 2020, 3:23 pm
Thanks. I joined and asked the question.
Your welcome .. I find it a bit more homey than the blue forum and you should find plenty of friendly people to help you out.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm-history-request

I also inherited an old gun -- a S&W Heavy Duty .38/40. I sent my money; they sent me a letter with lots of useful and interesting information.

Do it; you won't regret it.

Also, when you get the letter, please update this post and tell us what you learned.
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

That Model 629-4 was a good variation to find. I believe the M629-4 was the S&W engineering change that started the so called "endurance package" that S&W incorporated due to the problems some shooters were having with heavy loads. Most shooters never noticed the problems.

However, the cylinders could sometimes pop open or sometimes even get double strikes on the primers. S&W beefed up bearing surfaces and changed heat treatments on parts to help alleviate it. It mostly occurred with 300 grain loads and/or heavy usage that the IHSMA silhouette shooters did back then.

I think the Model 629-4 also had all the frames drilled and tapped for scope mounting. The next engineering change with the M629-5 brought the use of MIM hammers and triggers instead of the flash chromed forged parts and the M629-6 started the dreaded internal lock so the M629-4 was still a good one to get.
Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

smithers599 wrote: June 26th, 2020, 7:02 am https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm-history-request

I also inherited an old gun -- a S&W Heavy Duty .38/40. I sent my money; they sent me a letter with lots of useful and interesting information.

Do it; you won't regret it.

Also, when you get the letter, please update this post and tell us what you learned.
My uncle bought it at a pawn shop in early 1996, so spending $75 for the history of a gun that was probably produced in 1995 isn't high on the priority list for me. Thanks for the info though.
Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

brandyspaw wrote: June 26th, 2020, 12:52 pm That Model 629-4 was a good variation to find. I believe the M629-4 was the S&W engineering change that started the so called "endurance package" that S&W incorporated due to the problems some shooters were having with heavy loads. Most shooters never noticed the problems.

However, the cylinders could sometimes pop open or sometimes even get double strikes on the primers. S&W beefed up bearing surfaces and changed heat treatments on parts to help alleviate it. It mostly occurred with 300 grain loads and/or heavy usage that the IHSMA silhouette shooters did back then.

I think the Model 629-4 also had all the frames drilled and tapped for scope mounting. The next engineering change with the M629-5 brought the use of MIM hammers and triggers instead of the flash chromed forged parts and the M629-6 started the dreaded internal lock so the M629-4 was still a good one to get.
Good info man. Thanks

I don't see any drilling/taping for scope mounts though.
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

Bigfoot wrote: June 26th, 2020, 4:40 pm I don't see any drilling/taping for scope mounts though.
The holes are under the rear sight assembly so if it has been drilled/tapped you'd be able to see from under the top strap of the frame. Check out this video for clarification.