Does anyone do DA/SA anymore?

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Does anyone do DA/SA anymore?

Post by Boriqua »

I know the world is all about plastic and strikers but .. who likes a good ol hammer fired DA/SA Semi and if you do .. what do you like?

I have a sig 229 E2 in .40 I am currently in love with and I have had a CZ Steel Compact that was quite the DA/SA in 9mm and probably half a dozen others have been threw my hands at one point or other but I know there are some plastic ones too so if you have one or shot one you loved ... I would like to hear it. May be in search of a 9mm DA/SA. Looked briefly at the FNX but have never handled one. Had a CZ p07 but it was only worthy after I spent a fair amount of time cleaning up the action and spending about $100 in parts. Out of the box it was a nasty beast.

AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: Does anyone do DA/SA anymore?

Post by AZ_Five56 »

I have an HK USP Compact in 9mm that I love. What price range are you thinking for your new acquisition?
AZ Husker

Post by AZ Husker »

No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get used to the difference in trigger pull. My second shot was always high. I know it was me, because many guys love them.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

I dont know that I have a price range .. I am not looking to spend a thousand bucks but at the moment its all mental masturbation and i could reach for something I thought was awesome .. My just get another CZ compact.

AZ Husker .. the trigger reset on the sig is so long that is almost feels like DAO!! ... So not much of a transition! :)

I have fired far more revolver rounds than any other type so DA is comfort food. Transitioning to SA doesnt seem to affect me much and I really do like that DA first pull since I still carry revolver more than any other type of gun.
superduty38

Post by superduty38 »

I am switching to my P229 Sig as an EDC as soon as I sell a couple of my RMR'ed M&P's. All I need for my Sig is to get some suppressor height sights and have the slide cut for an RMR. It has the factory "short reset trigger" kit which greatly shortens up the reset and Gray Guns ELS trigger kit. The double action is so smooth and much lighter than the factory, so it has been easy to learn and then you get the 4#or less single action trigger for the rest of the shots. The Sig just feels better and points better than any of my
plastic striker fired guns
dragonblood9
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by dragonblood9 »

I love my p220 and p245, all stock. I've tried to "like" plastic but none of those take.
Solar_Empire

Post by Solar_Empire »

I own 2 glocks (1 I shoot once in a blue moon, the other is spare parts for the one I shoot) but every other handgun is a DA/SA. Beretta, Sig, CZ. I see no reason to buy a striker fired handgun ever again. I like my safety to be a DA trigger. Not to mention when you reholster you can thumb the hammer and if you reholster and the trigger catches, you'll feel the hammer begin to push back.

I will say the FNX series (the 45 in particular) didn't impress me at all. FN's build quality may have improved since 2013 but the one I had had a trigger that left a lot to be desired. It also had a tough time cycling the first couple rounds from a full mag, forget steel case, I always had to tap the back of the slide the first couple of rounds and even then the slide was sluggish. YMMV.
Basher

Post by Basher »

I enjoy all forms of fire control systems. I tend to carry Glocks (striker), but enjoy revolvers, 1911s, and have always been a big Beretta fan. Each handles differently, but I like ‘em all.
Bullzaye

Post by Bullzaye »

Boriqua wrote: May 16th, 2020, 11:26 am I know the world is all about plastic and strikers but .. who likes a good ol hammer fired DA/SA Semi and if you do .. what do you like?
What do I like? Well...2nd & 3rd Gen S&Ws are pretty danged cool. I have a 469, a 4506 & a 4566.

Also, the Beretta's are pretty nice. I only have an M9, but I've been hankering for one of their .380s for ever. Never found the right deal, yet.

If you like CZs, you might look at an older CZ-75 or CZ-85. Kinda "old-school", these were the cream of the crop back in the late 70s, early to mid 80's. Because of the Cold War, they were nearly unobtainable here in the U.S., back then. And, they can be carried cocked and locked, if you ever feel the need.

And...if you like Soviet Bloc history, and Cold War era mystique, there's the iconic Soviet Makarov PM...and another CZ offering, the CZ-82. These are both chambered in the Soviet 9x18mm Makarov cartridge. The Makarov, with versions built in Russia, EG, Bulgaria, & China...has an 8 round single column mag, a decocking safety, and a European style heel mag release. The CZ-82 holds 12 rounds in its double stack mag, has ambidextrous safeties and mag release, and can also be carried cocked and locked. There's also a CZ-83 in .380, and I believe in .32 ACP...though I don't believe I've ever actually laid eyes on one. It appears as if J&G may still be selling these for $250...a fair price.

In keeping with the Eastern Europe theme, as well as the 9x18mm...there's the Polish P-64 & P-83 Radom. These occasionally, along with the CZ-82, are incorrectly referred to as Makarovs. I've handled, but never owned or fired a P-83. The P-64 has a 6 round mag, and as issued...possibly the heaviest DA trigger pull in existence. Harsh recoil, but very nicely finished, and extremely accurate.

To finish off this 9x18mm category, there's the Hungarian PA-63, which bears a very strong resemblance to the Walther PP, and has an identical decocking safety. This is another small and tidy pistol, but also lighter than the others (which are all steel) owing to its alloy frame. With a 7 round mag, these were supposedly also manufactured in .380 & .32 ACP versions, though I've never seen either. Due to its light weight, it's a bit of a handful...and rumor has it that they don't hold up well to extended firing.

Having mentioned the Walther...there's another iconic series of pistols. The PP, PPK, and PPK/S series. Not a lot to say about these...compact, reliable, chock full of history, from WWII to James Bond, and all of the copies that they spawned. Available in blue and stainless...German manufacturer, French manufacture, U.S. manufacture, various importers with various levels of quality and desirability. And the S&W variant...which I personally have no love for. Available in .380 ACP, and also the frequently overlooked, but much more "shootable" .32 ACP. Also, some .22s have been built...my only experience there was...less-than-impressive.

One last CZ mention, well...two. The CZ-50 & CZ-70. These are also close copies of the Walther PP, with similarly functioning slide-mounted hammer drop safeties. Chambered in .32 ACP, with 8 round magazines...these also have pretty awful DA triggers. At one time, they were practically giving these away (but then...the same could be said of the Makarov & CZ-82, if not all of the former Warsaw Pact pistols), for less than $100 with spare mag and military holster. I have no idea what prices are like now. While I wouldn't mind paying $350- $400-ish for a nice Makarov (especially an EG, military [non-commercial] Russian, or early Chinese example), I don't believe I'd care to spend more than $200 on one of these, and even then...it better be pristine!

I know you mentioned not spending $1000...so that will probably disqualify the pistols I'm about to mention. But, these are just such *superb* pistols, and since I was just mentioning Walthers...here goes. First, something that you "might" find for under a thousand...the P-5. These are wonderful pistols, kind of the final evolution of the P-38. Chambered in 9x19mm, as well as 7.65 Parabellum (mine came with a barrel for each caliber, and the mags work with both), with an 8 round magazine, a heel-type European style mag release, and a dual-purpose decocker/slide lock. These have an exceptional DA trigger, and are capable of amazing accuracy. There's also a P-5 Compact. I don't own one, and since they're scarcer than the P-5, they command a premium.

Another outstanding Walther is the P-88. These probably will not be found for under $1000, unless one is extremely lucky, or the pistol is in poor condition. Chambered in 9mm, with a double stack 15 round mag, ambidextrous mag release, as well as ambidextrous dual-purpose decocker/slide lock. The DA on these pistols is nothing short of astounding...and they also are capable of extreme accuracy. There is also a P-88C, Compact. I don't care for them. For some reason, they moved the decocker to the slide, and ruined the ergos of the pistol...IMO.

Then there are Sigs. So many Sigs! I have a couple P-6s, a P-225, a P-228, and a P-230. There are probably others who could speak a lot more authoritatively than I, about Sigs. I will say...the P-6s *used* to be a great value. I can't recall what J&G was selling them for, back in the day...$250, $300? I don't know if you can find any for less than $450-$500 these days.

One last "honorable mention"...as an interesting DA/SA pistol. The Steyr GB. A gas-delayed blowback (very similar to the H&K P7 series), with an 18 round double stack mag, a slide mounted decocker, and the first factory issued GITD sights (literally...GITD, *not* tritium) of which I'm aware. The DA trigger pull isn't great, but it's useable.

Oh, also the Ruger P-85/89/90/95, etc. Nothing amazing, but generally solid, useable, affordable pistols.

I'm sure there are a ton of others that I've missed. I've just covered some of what I'm familiar with. Enjoy the hunt...there's lots of "game" out there!
semperfisurveyor

Post by semperfisurveyor »

For $500-750 you should be able to find a well used but completely functional P226 double stack or P220 and possibly tinker with some of GrayGuns improvements if your inclined to tinker ...be careful their addictive.
706A83BF-07D4-4099-8B36-7C548FB849AA.jpeg