New Old Aquisition!

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

New Old Aquisition!

Post by Boriqua »

I got this guy about a month ago from a board member and a good guy I hang out with regular. I am a revolver FAN but was always a little apprehensive about getting an older one. On a regular show and tell day he brought it by and my jaw fell open. Man what a beautiful thing and the heft!!

I have had more than a few new post lock smiths but not one compares to the trigger pull on this gun.

Looks damn near new and serial puts it at early mid 70's. I am not a collector of anything even though I have been known to aquire a lot so this guy gets shot. I might not have the heart to make it a carry since its in such great condition but it will be at the range every chance I get!

357 in the N frame is Amazing and I have never shot one. I shot my own 38's using 4.5gr of HP38 with a 158 gr bullet and it felt like a 22. :)

I then went on to my own 357 and then let loose with some 158gr HTP by remington. Gun picks up all the energy and even the spicier rounds were butter. Sweet gun .. I think its quite handsome! :dance:

I didnt oil it clean it or anything else and ran to the range. This was the first 6 shots at 8 yds DA unsupported. The flyer was the first shot ..

Then I fired about 100 rounds of mostly mild 357 and a half box of htp at varying distances to 20 yds and brought the target back to 10 and finished up with

Gun is to far out. Havent had it back out again but it has been cleaned now and dry fired a fair amount so I am looking forward to my next outing!

smithers599

Re: New Old Aquisition!

Post by smithers599 »

Sweet.
Rarely is it necessary to use single action mode. Double action gets you all the accuracy you can use.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

smithers599 wrote: April 13th, 2020, 9:24 am Sweet.
Rarely is it necessary to use single action mode. Double action gets you all the accuracy you can use.
I have been shooting revolvers for a lot of years. I probably havent shot single action 30 times. I would think if you were hunting with a handgun or trying to head shot zombies at 50 yds it would be a great tool but in my potential usage .. it would be draw and fire so I always practice DA.

For me .. there is almost something magical about that big wheel spinning when you pull the trigger.
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

That M28 looks like to be a really nice one. I'm partial to this model Smith because it was the first handgun I ever bought back in the seventies. That started a life long affection (some say an addiction) to S&W revolvers.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Nice
baby huey

Post by baby huey »

I really want a 4” 27 or 28. Nice.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

I had a mod28 for a few years. I think S&W mod 27/28 are some of the best models S&W ever produced! With a pinned barrel and recessed cylinder,... I really felt like it was a revo that would last forever! Then I downsized , and got out of 38/357 caliber.

As I stated, I think you have one of the best revos S&W ever produced, a true work horse, and if 38spl/357mag is your caliber, I don't think you could find one better for the money!

ENJOY!
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

I got a soft spot for N-frames. Back when Dad was a cop, he bought a 3 and 5/8 barrel M27 that was his duty piece, so it was what I ended up learning on as a wee lad.

I continually find it humorous, looking back, to recall Dad telling me why he chose that particular revolver. Back in the early 70s, NBC had a tv show POLICE STORY. In one episode, the bad guy character pulls out that very same pistol to threaten someone. "With that length of barrel, it looked like a massive snubbie," Dad said. He just thought it looked like the meanest and coolest piece one could be packing, so he had to have one.

Buckshot Bill

Post by Buckshot Bill »

There really is something almost spooky about older Smith revolvers and how they can make you a good shot,and those of you that have one know what I'm talking about.
Everybody should experience one in their lifetime- they are something special.
Buckshot Bill
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

Stalwart, solid, tough-arse gun right there. Enjoy.
dragonblood9
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by dragonblood9 »

I grew up shooting a K-22 my dad bought after HS. The older S&W the better!
Pipedoc

Post by Pipedoc »

Congrats, Now that you have a fine pistol, take it to Nelson Ford and for $180 he will put a trigger job on it that will simply amaze you.
Dangerruss

Post by Dangerruss »

I think what makes the old smiths shoot so well in DA is the stage or pause before the hammer falls. I has a 3in model 13 that was so wonderful to shoot. I hope the bastard who stole it died of ebolaids!
maddock

Post by maddock »

I love older Smiths and have a extra soft spot for the N-Frames. I'm trimming down the herd and recently turned over my third Highway Patrolman to a younger friend.
We don't so much own them as hold them in trust for future generations.