Polymer 80 Glock Question

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Hac
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Polymer 80 Glock Question

Post by Hac »

Can I legally transfer ownership of a completed polymer 80 glock 17 large frame. I purchased one and completed it with a oem LPK, well my son did. With him being in college and his work is nonexistent due to the current situation, he is looking to sell it but I dont want to do something unlawful. Any help would be appreciated.

Noshoot

Re: Polymer 80 Glock Question

Post by Noshoot »

If you've got a bit of concern about it, just strip all the parts off it and sell it as a parts kit (keep the frame). It'll sell to someone that has a frame that can't locate the parts from the usual online vendors.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

where does he live?
Hac

Post by Hac »

Noshoot wrote: April 7th, 2020, 3:33 pm If you've got a bit of concern about it, just strip all the parts off it and sell it as a parts kit (keep the frame). It'll sell to someone that has a frame that can't locate the parts from the usual online vendors.
All he has is the frame and parts kit, nothing else.
Hac

Post by Hac »

delta6 wrote: April 7th, 2020, 5:01 pm where does he live?
He lives is this great state of Az. I have the parts at my house. He normally stays at the college locally but currently stay with his grandmother's keeping her company since school is online.
Hac

Post by Hac »

I have sold a few weapons and understand local laws. I'm not sure on the non serialized frame. I dont know if I can sell them as parts or just throw them in the project bin and give him some cash for them. I'm not a glock guy so they probably will sit for a bit. Any direction would be appreciated. You all stay safe and wash your hands
delta6

Post by delta6 »

How old is your son?
Hac

Post by Hac »

delta6 wrote: April 7th, 2020, 8:11 pm How old is your son?
23 years young, sir
dustmaker

Post by dustmaker »

I've built a G-19 on a polymer lower and know what your saying. That being said if your really interested in selling it maybe list it for sale but be sure you mention its a polymer 80 kit. I would actually be interested provided the price is right. Non-serialized weapons can be a pain if discovered by a cowboy LEO.

dusty
Hac

Post by Hac »

dustmaker wrote: April 7th, 2020, 8:16 pm I've built a G-19 on a polymer lower and know what your saying. That being said if your really interested in selling it maybe list it for sale but be sure you mention its a polymer 80 kit. I would actually be interested provided the price is right. Non-serialized weapons can be a pain if discovered by a cowboy LEO.

dusty
Thanks for the advice I appreciate it.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

Hac wrote: April 7th, 2020, 8:12 pm
23 years young, sir
So if I understand this.. you have a Glock type pistol, that is on a Poly80 frame and it is your firearm. If so you can give it/ sell it to your son, provided he is not a prohibited person. He in turn can do anything legally he wants with it.
Hac

Post by Hac »

delta6 wrote: April 7th, 2020, 8:35 pm
Hac wrote: April 7th, 2020, 8:12 pm
23 years young, sir
So if I understand this.. you have a Glock type pistol, that is on a Poly80 frame and it is your firearm. If so you can give it/ sell it to your son, provided he is not a prohibited person. He in turn can do anything legally he wants with it.
No sir, the parts belong to him. Due to the current situation and him not working he has decided he can live with out it so its on the chopping block. I want to sell it for him but want to do it with out breaking the law.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Disclaimer; I'm not a lawyer, and you shouldn't ask for legal advice on internet forums.

I've asked this question to several ATF agents at SHOT Show a few months ago.
Basically, I got this answer; You cannot, according to the Gun Control Act, manufacture firearms with the intent of selling for profit, without an FFL. They were very careful to not tell me "no" or "yes"...typical ATF BS. There has yet to be a court decision (notice how I said court decision, not court case) that has dealt with this exact situation.

The key word is "intent". Based on your description of your situation, no one intended to sell the firearm. Circumstances now dictate a possible sale. I don't see this to be a problem.

IMO, the safest course of action would be to disassemble the weapon, sell off the parts (slide, barrel, trigger, etc.) and keep the completed frame (this is the actual "firearm"). No transfer of a firearm would be involved; only parts. Plus, when circumstances improve, he can easily rebuild the firearm.
Hac

Post by Hac »

[quote=QuietM4 post_id=42791 time=1586318174 user_id=132]
Disclaimer; I'm not a lawyer, and you shouldn't ask for legal advice on internet forums.

You are right. I shouldn't ask for legal advice on the forum. After I thought about it I was already invested with the question. Thank you