The 4 ways to hold a flashlight with handgun

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Re: The 4 ways to hold a flashlight with handgun

Post by Elk34 »

AZ1182 wrote: April 13th, 2020, 2:51 pm I'm old. If I hear a crash at night in my home, I'm using the light that's on the gun. And the rare times I do go out at night in the neighborhood to get my mail or walk the dog, I only go in lit areas and not lurk in the shadows. Power goes out, I have a handheld.
The only problem with that logic is, the shadows are your friends. Learn to love them. A surefire flash light with a strobe can blind someone long enough for you to draw a gun if you had one or hit them with a rock.

Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

I never found strobe as useful when I worked as a cop. Perhaps it was technique or training, but I just found a solid, high lumen white light that worked(ie good battery life) as the best solution.
I did find that painting a room with brief bits of light on/light off before moving helped, however I really only did that when it came to searching a building for a suspect. And I'm definitely a fan of having both a handheld light and a weapon mounted light for the reasons I've mentioned before.
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

AZ1182 wrote: April 14th, 2020, 11:46 am I was told that too much light on even a handheld can be a bad thing by a few cops.
Whats too much light? What was the bad thing?
FWIW, in your house one night turn off all the lights and use your own lights to move around. Look at light bounce, etc. Make up your mind for yourself.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

AZ1182 wrote: April 14th, 2020, 11:33 am
Elk34 wrote: April 13th, 2020, 10:10 pm
AZ1182 wrote: April 13th, 2020, 2:51 pm I'm old. If I hear a crash at night in my home, I'm using the light that's on the gun. And the rare times I do go out at night in the neighborhood to get my mail or walk the dog, I only go in lit areas and not lurk in the shadows. Power goes out, I have a handheld.
The only problem with that logic is, the shadows are your friends. Learn to love them. A surefire flash light with a strobe can blind someone long enough for you to draw a gun if you had one or hit them with a rock.
The only problem was the one you made when there wasn't one. And actual problem with your logic, is that real world users that kick in doors arresting dangerous persons for a living have told me face to face that strobe lights are useless fluff that serves no real purpose. I know who I am and what I am not, so I'll listen to the actual professionals rather than someone that was disturbed by my post because it showed dissent to the narrative of the tribe.

We're on the same side, lets not try to eat each other and learn to let things be, cool?

Edit:

Never assume someone has no training
Never assume someone doesn't have enough mags
Never assume someone hasn't shot a gun
Never assume someone has no experience
Never assume someone doesn't have ammo
Never assume someone doesn't have spare parts
Never assume someone knows less than you
Never assume someone never carries
Never assume someone that the guy with one can actually use it
Never assume someone with a collection can't use them
Never assume someone is doing it wrong because it isn't your way
Never assume someone is spending too much money on a part or a gun
Never assume and worry about others, you see where I am going with this?
I'm very cautious when listening to so called professional people. In my past I let so called professional people go in front of me because they thought they were hot sh!t. Next thing that happen hot sh!t got his head blown off. Huh. I was trained with flash lights by different units. They were all tuff sh!ts and liked different techniques regaurdless. When you come around a corner or you are piecing a corner you never leave your light on. Whoever may be waiting can see how close you are getting to coming around that corner. Turning on and off the light as you move keeps them from tracking your every movement. I train SWAT teams on certain things and traveling from state to state they all train differently and believe their way is better. In the end they are all self centered egotistical nerds. They are just as bad as a Navy seal that sees his reflection in a mirrored surface. Premadonas
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

Nope but when you say, well I listened to people that know more then me and this is the way it is. That sends up red flags on , if someone tells you to jump you will do it.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

:laughing-rolling: That's why you and I should stay 4 lanes away from each other. That way I know I wont get shot in the back.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

Agreed
Crippledtrigger
ArizonaShooting.org Member
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Elk34 wrote: April 14th, 2020, 3:36 pm In the end they are all self centered egotistical nerds. They are just as bad as a Navy seal that sees his reflection in a mirrored surface. Premadonas
Mirror Mirror indeed
upcountry
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by upcountry »

When my dog and I wander at night so she can do her "business", I go to #2. I keep a snub .22 in my hand in my jacket pocket--Javelina heavy area--but the light will focus on whatever I'm looking at when I turn my head.
upcountry

Post by upcountry »

Position #1 is the classic FBI position, light held far from the body, keeps the body from being a target of return fire.
#2 is the position developed by the Surefire institute, illuminates sights an target, minimal body exposure when clearing corners. Head turns, light turns. In another post I made, it's the one I use when wandering with my dog at night.
#3 is the Harries--support and isometric tension for light and handgun
#4 is the Rogers, "cigar" hold--requires a butt activated switch. With a regular Maglite switch, they call it the Chapmann. When the thumbs on the handgun and light are aligned,supporting each other, it's called the Ayoob position.
At least this is what I was told by a MA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor and Armorers Assoc member during a class. Each has it's place depending on the situation and equipment.