Star BM failure to extract

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
mashed68
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Star BM failure to extract

Post by mashed68 »

I bought one of the J&G Star BM 9mm's a while back after shooting a friends. Mine is having an issue with extractions. Sometimes, it will loose grip of the round when the round is half way out of the chamber. The slide continues back, and tries to chamber the next round which obviously can't as the previous shell is still half in.

I've pulled the extractor, and the lip is nice and sharp on it. The spring seemed fine and I even tried pulling it apart a little bit and I cleaned the extractor channel. It does it slightly less, but still has the issue about half the time. I've tried several mags and different brass cased ammo all with the same results. Idea's on what I should do next?
Attachments
IMG_1328.jpg

cool arrow
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Star BM failure to extract

Post by cool arrow »

have you tried racking several rounds or a mag full without firing?
oldmanpaintball

Post by oldmanpaintball »

check barrel lug i had broken mine
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Not too familiar with Star pistols, but, if it has a 1911 style blind/interior extractor, there isn't much to removing it, to check if it is broke, or, to tweak by bending it a little for proper function. Which is why I like 1911 blind extractors, over exterior extractors with those little springs.

jmo
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

I have that same pistol, they are a great inexpensive handgun. Mine eats every kind of ammo like candy.
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

I'd pick up a extractor and spring from these guys:
https://jack-first-gun-parts.myshopify. ... ring-36-34
The extractor as a spare, and a couple springs. 1 to replace, 1 as a spare.
r0ttie1

Post by r0ttie1 »

cool arrow wrote: April 1st, 2020, 2:35 pm I have that same pistol, they are a great inexpensive handgun. Mine eats every kind of ammo like candy.

i bought two with the same results. Solid all steel little pistol.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

One easy thing to check, before replacing parts and spending money, is to be sure the chamber is shiny clean. A speck of unburned powder, for example, can make the fired case stick in the chamber. Inspect the chamber with a light. Clean the heck out of it. Try shooting (dry chamber, no oil in the chamber which itself can make a case stick.) If the gun works, that was the problem. If not, then move on to parts modification/replacement.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Another possibility: replace the recoil spring. I had extraction problems with a 1911/.45 some years ago. Took it to Nelson Ford, he looked at the recoil spring and said "There's the problem." As he explained it, when the recoil spring is weak, the slide recoils faster, and the extra speed can strip the extractor off the rim.
Highly likely your Star recoil spring hasn't been replaced since the gun was made. Replace it; that might fix it.
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

smithers599 wrote: April 1st, 2020, 7:22 pm Another possibility: replace the recoil spring. I had extraction problems with a 1911/.45 some years ago. Took it to Nelson Ford, he looked at the recoil spring and said "There's the problem." As he explained it, when the recoil spring is weak, the slide recoils faster, and the extra speed can strip the extractor off the rim.
Highly likely your Star recoil spring hasn't been replaced since the gun was made. Replace it; that might fix it.
This is also a good suggestion. New recoil springs are available from Wolff or Jack First

I will say that I pretty much make it a habit to replace all the important springs in a gun that comes to me with an unknown round count.
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

^^^ this is a good suggestion

the same holds true for Beretta's. I don't know how many times a JO would turn in an M9 with problems and more often than not was cured by a spring kit.
mashed68

Post by mashed68 »

smithers599 wrote: April 1st, 2020, 7:22 pm Another possibility: replace the recoil spring. I had extraction problems with a 1911/.45 some years ago. Took it to Nelson Ford, he looked at the recoil spring and said "There's the problem." As he explained it, when the recoil spring is weak, the slide recoils faster, and the extra speed can strip the extractor off the rim.
See that's something I hadn't thought of and exactly what I was looking for. Great suggestion.