80% pistols and ghost guns

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
dustmaker
ArizonaShooting.org Member

80% pistols and ghost guns

Post by dustmaker »

I built and 80% glock just because I got a smokin deal on the kit. I mean a complete it for $299 and free shipping, who wouldn't go for that? Its built and runs 100% and I got to work first hand on the workings of a Glock handgun and now totally understand their design for making it go bang.

I have to admit I always was somewhat dubious of a pistol made out of injection molded plastic (okay polymer) and stamped spring steel parts, with the bare minimum being actual machined metal parts.

I do own factory Glocks and while they are good firearms. I do have my reservations on some elements of the design. They (Glocks) are superior to some weapons being sold and I have to admit their marketing is second to none.

Now that I have the one it worries me to take it out shooting as it is a sterile gun. No serial number and nothing inscribed on the slide either. Infact the only written information is the 9X19 identification on the barrel and the makers info on the lower receiver. Nothing more.

I spoke to and old friend and retired Maricopa County sheriffs deputy/detective and asked him how he would perceive such a gun if he came across it in the field. He said the way they were instructed to handle something like that was to confiscate it and send it in to be scrutinized by their superiors. Not to make a call in the field but to let the people in charge figure it out. As the owner /possessor it would be up to me to prove its not a illegal firearm.

Thats a big problem and this thing will spend most of its time in the safe I think at least until the gun confiscations from citizens start.

dusty

Dangerruss

Re: 80% pistols and ghost guns

Post by Dangerruss »

I'm glad your friend is retired! we don't need assholes like him with a badge! Prove it's not illegal?? What happened to innocent till PROVEN guilty.
dustmaker

Post by dustmaker »

Him and I had the same conversation. He said such a new looking pistol no matter how it came about was a big red flag to any LEO and would warrant a little more of a look and while he understood the 80% part to make it into a firearm it still should have some kind of serial number whether or not it was built by a private citizen or not. His argument was that his wifes fricken steam iron (his exact words) has a serial number on it so the 80% kits could have had a mfgr serial number if they were so inclined. And because they weren't was something else going on with the sales of them. Were they being bought and built just because of no way to trace them.

Basically if you have a sterile weapon be prepared to accept the problems when the powers that be find it in your possession. I didn't agree with him then and I still don't so it will rarely get shot.

dusty
delta6

Post by delta6 »

dustmaker wrote: March 31st, 2020, 4:20 pm Him and I had the same conversation. He said such a new looking pistol no matter how it came about was a big red flag to any LEO and would warrant a little more of a look.....
He said this...never ever have seen this...I call BS#1
dustmaker wrote: March 31st, 2020, 4:20 pm Basically if you have a sterile weapon be prepared to accept the problems when the powers that be find it in your possession.......
dusty
What can I say... BS#2
dustmaker

Post by dustmaker »

delta6 wrote: March 31st, 2020, 7:58 pm
dustmaker wrote: March 31st, 2020, 4:20 pm Him and I had the same conversation. He said such a new looking pistol no matter how it came about was a big red flag to any LEO and would warrant a little more of a look.....
He said this...never ever have seen this...I call BS#1
dustmaker wrote: March 31st, 2020, 4:20 pm Basically if you have a sterile weapon be prepared to accept the problems when the powers that be find it in your possession.......
dusty
What can I say... BS#2
What ever you want to believe! That was what transpired
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

Who is your LEO friend? Buford T. Justice?
trickyrick

Post by trickyrick »

i have leo friends that have built ak's from parts kits, ars from 80%, uzis, semi of course, stens pps43 etc....find it hard to believe that is the standing order
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

I'm looking for 80% large frame glocks. They are hard to find.
XNARC

Post by XNARC »

It’s wrong, but I’m not surprised. Retired CID from another state and I had to un-arrest a guy brought in by patrol, during a traffic stop, as he had a shotgun without a serial number in a rifle rack. The officer was born a few years after places like Sears and Montgomery Ward were around selling those without serial numbers. Many states have statutes that mirror federal codes about ‘obliterated’ serial numbers, and that could cause confusion.
dustmaker

Post by dustmaker »

Elk- yes they are, If I can find the same deal as my 19 I will take whatever I can find but would prefer another 17.

Trickyrick- It wasn't a standing order and him an I had a heated discussion about it but he said even if its wrong they were to err on the side of public safety. How in the world was the public in danger from a unmarked pistol I'll never know and about that time he ended the conversation. Strangely enough he turned into a hardcore prepper just before the Covid Panic.

A little history about him. 4 years in the Marines and 22 with MCSO before he bailed. We knew each other in High School.

dusty
N33D
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by N33D »

Look one side is going to be for it and one sides not. Just the way it is. As long as you follow the law at the time of possession u r good.