XP-100 Question

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
getsum
ArizonaShooting.org Member

XP-100 Question

Post by getsum »

So I just picked this up and now I'm trying to learn about it and not having much luck on the web. I know it started out life as a Remington XP-100 but is chambered in .30 Jirsa. The barrel also says TL Jirsa. I have some ammo for it and it's a .223 case necked up to .30 cal. so it's some kind of wildcat round. If anyone has any more info I would appreciate it.
Attachments
Jirsa3.jpg
Jirsa1.jpg
Jirsa2.jpg

Ballistic Therapy

Re: XP-100 Question

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

From The American Handgunner ( 1985 November/December ) edition.

.30 Jirsa is the .223 military case blown out to .30 caliber with the shoulder blown forward to about 52mm.
It's a very efficient cartridge. It doesn't have the horsepower of larger-cased cartridges, but it's very accurate and the cases last forever.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Looks like a real nice piece... 30 Jirsa sounds similar to 300 Whisper aka 300BLK -wonder what case length differences there are. You will undoubtedly have to fire-form your brass and reload but at least a mother case is readily available. Unless dies came with the deal, they will be an expensive custom order... IF you can find a chamber drawing you can determine if it can be re-chambered to 300 BLK for a cheaper reload setup.... usable bullets will depend on the twist.
Another way to re-chamber is to set the barrel back a few thou... you are going to need a good gunsmith and a few hundred to convert it but it may be worth it. One sold on auction back in June for $420 so I wouldn't sink too much in it unless I really wanted to play with the gun.
rbking

Post by rbking »

There was another 30 caliber wildcat cartridge. Based on the 223 case, dating to the 80's. Called the 30 TCU. Mostly used for silhouette shooting, in Thompson Contenders. Your Remington, obviously not made for silhouette shooting. But might be close enough chambering wise. To use 30 TCU ammo. Only a chamber cast will tell the story. if you could use 30 TCU brass and dies. You would be ahead of the game. Rather than having custom made dies and brass, for the one of a kind 30 Jirsa.
getsum

Post by getsum »

Thanks for the replies. Standard XP's are selling for nearly $1k or plus that. I have a few hundred rounds and dies so ammo is not a real issue. Was really trying to find the origins of this piece. Maybe asking the impossible question. Metal and wood are excellent. Who is TL Jirsa may be a better question.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

There is ONE post I could find when I googled it and the OP asked basically the same question... the answer was Terry Jirsa of Durango Co is the guy you seek....
bill460

Post by bill460 »

This is mine in .35 Remington. I fitted it with a Fajen Coffee Laminated stock I picked up on a closeout many years ago. The scope Is a Burris 2-1/2-7X in Leupold mounts. The gun shoots like it's on rails.

They are becoming a dying breed of firearm. Back in the 70's when Metallic Silhouette was all the rage, they were everywhere, in most every caliber imaginable. Today they are still popular with a few varmint hunters and target guys.

They are a beautiful pistol that was ahead of it's time. Some tend to have lousy triggers because of all the spaghetti that attaches the trigger to the fire control group. (Most have a version of the Walker Trigger). If you have an original in .221 Fireball with the vented rib barrel, and the "shark fin" front sight, they're creeping up in value. When they were in full production in the mid 60's, they couldn't give them away.