any .32S&W long, .32 H&Rmag, .32-20 WCF, or .327fedmag fans?

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
backcountry
ArizonaShooting.org Member

any .32S&W long, .32 H&Rmag, .32-20 WCF, or .327fedmag fans?

Post by backcountry »

Shooting is an odd hobby.

I had been going bigger and hotter for several years; 357 Maximum, 44 mag when I got to shoot an old friend, the 32-20 WCF. I grew up in the tiny Texas town of Albany; nothing but cowboys. Of course my first real gun was a Colt first gen. In 32-20, it was a joy to shoot those mild loads to learn. My step-dad had the matching Winchester lever gun which I hunted with for years.

Now, I'm going the other direction, smaller and hotter; little pills going very fast. This last year, I have wheel guns that are like tanks; the Ruger Buckeye convertible with both 32-20 and 32 H&Rmag cylinders, and the Ruger Blackhawk 8 in 327 federal magnum. The Buckeye shoots 3 calibers. The BH shoots 3 different calibers as well. Guys, that's fun.

To show how crazy I am, I also acquired a 32-20 barrel for my T/C. Then at SAR, I got a beautiful 1915 Army Special in 32-20. If not careful, addiction can rule your life. It's great fun being a junky, until you get the bill.

I am handloading some fire-breathing Dragon rounds that hit 1600fps. My handloading is working overtime to produce dozens and dozens of different recipes and I love it. I've gotten into powder coating all my bullets and I feel like I've discovered a new arena for playtime. I enjoy silhouette and these new beauties are superb at distance, 100 yards or so.

Anyone else shooting or handloading the .32s ? Care to share a few recipes and what you're shooting.

Prescut

rbking

Re: any .32S&W long, .32 H&Rmag, .32-20 WCF, or .327fedmag fans?

Post by rbking »

In the past, most of my experiences have been with the 32 ACP. This was chambered in many surplus, military and police pistols. That I had acquired. Never bothered reloading it. As I felt it was a marginal cartridge. Most of my shooting, was casual target shooting. Store bought 32 ACP, was to expensive as compared to 22 LR. More expensive than my 9 mm reloads.

Did utilize the 32 ACP brass, for reloading the French 32 Long cartridge. I had bought one of the surplus, French Model 1935 S pistols. 32 ACP brass could be used for reloading, as long as the diameter of the semi rim could be reduced. And 7.62 X 25 Mauser bullets, used to increase the OAL of the loaded cartridge.

The 32-20 brass, is another case I utilized. When reloading for, surplus Swedish Model 1887 revolvers. The 32-20, is almost identical, to the 7.5 mm Swede Revolver cartridge. Expect for OAL. The easiest way to reload for the 7.5 Swede. Is to use untrimmed 32-20 brass, with a very light charge of smokeless powder. Using a 108 grain 30 carbine bullet, loaded backward as a wad cutter. The base of the bullet, is just even with the case mouth. Lot of the folks on this side of the pond don't realize. That 7.5 mm is the actual bore diameter. The groove diameter is actually .308. This is commonly run across, with older 7.5 mm French and Swiss military rifles. That can utilize are 30 caliber bullets for reloading.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Got my first deer with the family heirloom Winchester 1873 in .32-20 and have reloaded for it since then. With modern loads and the long barrel, it basically duplicates .30carbine performance.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Huge fan of the 32 FedMag here, but alas, only from afar! :roll: I rarely come across an example, and when I do, I seem to be into something else at that moment, instead. Many years ago, when I built a cabin in the back woods of Maine, my neighbor hunted with a 32 lever gun,... good hunter, good shot,... taught me to have great respect for the 32 caliber, in the right hands.

I hear you loud ad clear on "small and fast"! For decades, I only wanted the heaviest bullet in all my calibers. Then I got introduced to some 223rem Barnes 36 grain Varmint Grenades and it was like a whole new world!! Built a 24" bull barreled rifle that increased the max loading data from 3,700 fps to a tad over 4,000 fps. Lot's of desert shooting fun!!!

I am still set up for casting and loading big projo's, but, with my latest acquisition, a return to my favorite, the 30-06 sprg,... I went in the "small and fast" direction and got some Barnes 130 grain TTSX's. Haven't loaded any yet, but, really looking forward to it.

Nice to hear other's appreciate small and fast, as well!!!
needsmostuff

Post by needsmostuff »

O My but yes , The hyper 32s loom large in my sphere. At last count I have at least 8 Rugers ( 32H&R,327 FED, and 32-20) in the shooter pile ( Single 6,single 7,Buckeye , GP-100, SP101) and one Colt army spl. plus a Henry rifle. Probably 3 more NIB stashed in safe for future projects.
What is this addiction thing you speak of ? I swear , I could quit any time.
The 32 H&Rs mostly limit the excitement to stout Unique loads but can move up to #7,4227 or 2400 if I'm feeling froggy.
When fire needs to be breathed the 327s get fed 2400,4227, #9 and of course 296/H110 in large amounts.
Strangely the old Colt army 32-20 has an affinity for a pretty full case of 5744. Of course it's happy with Unique but I always wanted to try some Reloader #7 ,just never got around to it.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

P.S.,... with the book ballistics of the 327 Fed Mag, very comparable to the 357 mag,... and considering the excruciating blast of the 357 mag from a hand gun,... I don't see why the 327 Fed Mag hasn't pushed the 357 to the way side,.... jmo!
backcountry

Post by backcountry »

rbking,
For years, all I shot in 32s were ACP in my early 1900s Colt and S&W semi-autos. They were like mouse farts and I just never got excited. Now, put them in a revolver and you have my attention.
Good luck with converting that brass.

Suck my Glock,
My step dad had the Winchester lever gun in 32-20. That was my first deer hunting rifle as well.

Shooter444,
You seem like a natural for the hotter 32s. I wouldn't get lost in the 327fm however. Many 327 folks wind up shooting mostly 32 H&Rmag getting 1250fps rather than the 1600fps 327. They both have very little drop at 100 yards.
My current plan is to load H&Rmag loads in 327fm cases.
As far as the 357 being pushed to the wayside, SACRILEGE ! My church has two altars (32 and 357). I prey at both.

needsmostuff,
Sounds like a kindred spirit to me. We shoot a lot of the same pieces. Can you tell me what powder the 5744 is close to. How size bullet with many grains of 5744 for what velocities, group size? I'm unfamiliar with it.

So nobody has that S&W 16-4, or a T/C in 32?

Prescut
Intel6

Post by Intel6 »

I have had a S&W mod 16 since the early 90's. I picked it up when I was stationed in Germany and brought it back to it's birthplace. I shot a lot of .32 S&WL loads out of it, mostly wadcutters when I first got it. I now mostly shoot it with 110+ gr. bullets I cast for it myself. I do also cast wadcutters for it still and load them in the .32 S&WL cases for plinking.

I had picked up one of the buckeye convertibles when they first came out but found I didn't care for the feel of the single action grips so I sold it to someone who really wanted it for his dad so it went to a good home.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

backcountry wrote: January 12th, 2020, 3:57 pm
Shooter444,
You seem like a natural for the hotter 32s. I wouldn't get lost in the 327fm however. Many 327 folks wind up shooting mostly 32 H&Rmag getting 1250fps rather than the 1600fps 327. They both have very little drop at 100 yards.
My current plan is to load H&Rmag loads in 327fm cases.
As far as the 357 being pushed to the wayside, SACRILEGE ! My church has two altars (32 and 357). I prey at both.

Prescut

Backcountry,

I have been a heavy/slow kind'a guy, most of my life. But when I started reloading in ernest, I became educated to ballistics, and created a great interest in Foot Pounds of Energy in relationship to penetration, a key factor for my purposes!

With the advent of the flood of new technology type bullets, I slowly came to realize, small/fast bullets can have as much FPE/penetration as Big/slow bullets,... BUT,... with an advantage of flatter trajectory and less time in the wind, to target.

Add those facts to the realization that as I get older, heavy recoil,... IS NOT MY FRIEND,... and the transition to small/fast became a no brainer!
needsmostuff

Post by needsmostuff »

backcountry wrote: January 12th, 2020, 3:57 pm Can you tell me what powder the 5744 is close to. How size bullet with many grains of 5744 for what velocities, group size? I'm unfamiliar with it.
Prescut
Hey Prescut, For pushing them fast I have always been a fan of looking at the slowest powder I can get which maxes out pressure wise with a full case. In the 327 that seems to happen with H110/296 .
The 32-20 is a large capacity case and I am not fond of small amounts of fast powder rattling around in it
Some powders I have tried looking for case filling bulk are even slower on the burn chart. 5744 is one along with 1680, #7 and all the way to 2015 with varying pluses and minus. A plus for me is a relatively full case with lower pressure and velocity actually starting to curve down a little.
Actual amounts I will not go into due to so many weak framed 32-20s out there but loads are easy to work up .
All of this works pretty well in the pre-war the Army special Colt but I will not push a Police positive or S&W very hard.
In your Buckeye get with the 296 or #9 and don't look back.
backcountry

Post by backcountry »

thanks for the posts ,

I think I will try that 296, actually I think I will use the H110. I've always found that pair to produce the highest velocities. I don't know why I haven't built a recipe around that already.

The two slow powders I have been using is the VV N340 and 4227, some (hs-6).
Lwstarks

Post by Lwstarks »

I’ve loaded a few 32’s. Plenty of 32 ACP and 32-20. 32-20 is fun plinker in my husky single shot bolt action octagon barrel. Can shoot anything from itty bitty 60 grain upwards of 115 lead.
LeeValley

Post by LeeValley »

Bunch of knowledgeable guys. Latey I am getting 327 Fed Mag itch. Intrigued by the number of calibers you can run thru them.
needsmostuff

Post by needsmostuff »

LeeValley wrote: June 6th, 2021, 11:44 pm Latey I am getting 327 Fed Mag itch.
Like any caliber nowadays all the hot 32 calibers are short supply so the itch may be hard to scratch.
But something to think about if you start lookin in earnest.
Barrel length .
327 requires it . 5" or more is better. Really comes alive at about 6 1/2 or 7 inches. Still improving with the 16 to 20 inch Henry rifles out there.
32H&R can be effective down to 3 inch but best at 5" plus.
32 long doesn't care but works well at 3 to 4 inches.
Of course folks love their snubbies and they shoot fine but ,,,,,,,, the real sweet spot gets found with slow powders and that requires barrel inches. All the same applies to .357 so not a new concept.
I have found no real need for lots of the 32 calibers . In a strong gun 32H&R will easily load way down or up quite high. 327 is needed to really set your hair on fire but in truth most of my 327 shooting is done at upper level 32H&R levels.
O Yeah , if opportunity knocks , don't ignore a .30 carbine Blackhawk .
LeeValley

Post by LeeValley »

Anticipating adding a 327 Mag in the future I picked up 200 rounds of new Starline H & R. Brass at a LGS in my neighborhood last week. Thank you so much for your thoughts. I am leaning toward something in a longer barrel. Your input reinforced it.