Colt making Pythons again

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
smithers599
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Colt making Pythons again

Post by smithers599 »

YNOTAZ

Re: Colt making Pythons again

Post by YNOTAZ »

Damn, I want to fondle one. I was foolish enough to sell 2 that I owned when I moved to AZ and I kind of swore off wheel guns, especially 357s due to the massive sound crack that came from the barrel cylinder gap.

BUT, if this thing runs like the original Pythons, I mean tolerances so tight that only really experienced gunnies would work on them due to the hand fitting required.

It will be my first wheel gun in a lot of years.
steamer303
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by steamer303 »

Yes, sign me up. I never did get one back in the day so I'm putting one on the wish-list now.
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

I'm a S&W revolver guy but I still welcome any new revolvers in the market place.

Of course, the action and lock work won't be like on the old Python. Instead its like the new King Cobra and even the front sight is attached with a set screw like the new King Cobra.

So the Colt purists likely won't be a big fan of them. However, the new Python should help moderate the prices of the old ones. Still the old ones will still bring a premium over new ones much like the old pre-lock/pinned and recessed Smiths bring a premium over current models.
TriggerFish

Post by TriggerFish »

I have one Python left over from the 'old days', in this case 1981. Bought new for $505 OTD by my soon-to-be wife as a wedding gift to me.
I still have both but I will have to add a new 6" SS Python "Walking Dead: Rick' model!
Last edited by TriggerFish on January 2nd, 2020, 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Guess they had to do something to offset not selling AR's to peons... ah... I mean... civilians...
Pale Rider

Post by Pale Rider »

Hard to justify the price I've seen on them compared to my Ruger GP100, but that's just my opinion.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Pale Rider wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 8:25 am Hard to justify the price I've seen on them compared to my Ruger GP100, but that's just my opinion.
I doubt that the $1500 price tag is based on the quality, but more likely on "We think that is what the market will bear because it is $1000 less than what used ones are going for."

A shooter would be better off with a Smith or Ruger, but a collector will be able to say, "I have one of the rare pre-shut-down Pythons, one of the last Colts made before they finally went out of business for good."
azcal

Post by azcal »

I like that Colt is still trying. I have one on order
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

I handled all the new Colt revolvers at SHOT. Every one felt gritty, heavy stacking on the double action. Not a single cylinder would revolve without being able to feel the grit.
I remember all the old Colt's felt like they were on ball bearings...the new crop, not so much.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

reviews i've read are a mixed bag, many things similar to original and some not, some liked some not. so.
only way to really know is to purchase one, and find out for ones self.
nothing wrong with reviews, i just never allowed it to decide for me, especially if i did not know the review personally.
Bullzaye

Post by Bullzaye »

Watched Hickok 45 on YouTube test one. He loved it...but he mentioned a problem other reviewers had had...pulling the trigger in DA, and the cylinder doesn't turn...cock the hammer, and the cylinder doesn't turn. Then, it seemed to happen on his test unit, but then worked again. Then just as he was finishing up...it happened again. Gun would not fire, due to cylinder not rotating. Multiple people have reported this issue. For the money...seems like a few bugs still to be worked out.

I had a used 4 in. nickeled 80's era Python. Handling it was nice...seemed like all surfaces were "melted", just a real pleasure to handle. But...it didn't shoot any better than my other .357s, so I ditched it. Don't really miss it...doubt if I'll ever buy another (though, I would never pass up a smoking deal...I'm not *that* stupid!)...my Smiths, Rugers, and DWs work fine for me.
dustmaker

Post by dustmaker »

Nice nostalgic guns but even in the day they shot no better than some of the other offerings. A friend of mine had a pair of them, 4" and 6" blued. Neither one shot as good as my Dan Wesson 15-2V with the same lengths barrels on it. I really don't know what people saw back then and sincerely don't know especially with the price they want for them what anyone would see today.

dusty
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

I need one. As soon as it settles down a bit.
Toy00taco
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by Toy00taco »

I’ve set up an alert for Sportsman’s Warehouse to notify me when the 6in stainless is back in stock