Rugers new 57 pistol in 5.7X28

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Ballistic Therapy
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Rugers new 57 pistol in 5.7X28

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

I have shot the FN 57 quite a bit and like it.
Now Ruger came out with one that looks pretty interesting and is about half the price.
I might be tempted to pick one up.

https://ruger.com/products/ruger57/spec ... 16401.html

Solar_Empire

Re: Rugers new 57 pistol in 5.7X28

Post by Solar_Empire »

I'm really hoping it doesn't have "kel-tec syndrome" where they trickle out and takes forever to find one at a decent price.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

There are a few on gunbroker right now.
I am sure they will go for a pretty penny though.
I will wait until they are on the shelves locally.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

Needs threaded barrel.
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

Woot
I need one yesterday!
omegaman

Post by omegaman »

Needs threaded barrel.??? it would suppress like poop, if it were subsonic it would be the same as 22lr. I had a local dealer order me one, so for 1/2 the fn I'll try it out. hope it is in soon. If they offer a threaded bbl my dumb ass will probably get one lol. I put one on the pmr30 just to prove you can even though the don't recommend it.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

I bought the FN rendition 5.7, when they first came out, for just about the same price as this Ruger. It was a great piece, very accurate caliber, and very easy to carry and shoot.

But, after I got in real deep, a half dozen mags, holsters, and a stock pile of ammo,... the other shoe fell, actually, both shoes fell!

One,... the high velocity, deep penetrating ammo supply was cut off by FN, because the Brady Bitches started screaming,... "ARMOR PIERCING COP KILLER BULLETS" .

That kind'a took the wind out of my sail, since that political move only left ammo that was a nose ahead of the latest upgraded 22 mag ammo.

Then,... one day at the range, the mag retention wire spring gizmo, failed. Leaving the pistol inoperable! I had already established a good rapport with the FN rep,... had a few conversations with him when the Brady/Ammo fiasco happened.

When I explained the failure, he merely said,... " Yah, we know about it, I'll send you a couple of new springs". When I asked if it would solve the problem,... he just said, "No",... and that was that!

Bottom line, I have no idea what Ruger is thinking, with this latest pistol release, but, I have a funny feeling, it hasn't been thought out well.

jmo
omegaman

Post by omegaman »

Ok got one...
Pro:
Price
Sights
Mags hold 21
No failures first 80 rounds
Like the safety
Con:
Trigger pinches finger
Not super accurate
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Laughs in major caliber
rbking

Post by rbking »

Before U Tube deleted the post. A gang banger posted a video, regard his experience using the FN 5.7 in a actual shooting. To make a long story short, the common over the counter ammo. Doesn't work for beans, as a stopping round. Unless you'r good enough or lucky enough. For a brain or spinal cord shot.

Nothing is going to be a bit different, with the Ruger. Unless your willing to pay big bucks, for the specialized ammo that expands as well as penetrates. The common 5.7 ammo, isn't made for one shot stops. The soldiers that Nidal Hussaien shot, died slowly from hits that weren't instantaneously fatal. And could have returned fired, to stop his rampage. If they were armed. The common 5.7 bullet can be fatal no question. But it wouldn't stop a armed determined adversary. From returning fire before succumbing.

I've owned a FN 5.7 for years. All it's is, with the common over the counter ammo. Is a very expensive plinker. As far as I'm concerned.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

I agree, rbking,... it is a really nice plinker, high capacity, low recoil, center fire reliability,... and it would be ok for self defense as long as the user understands its limitations and really knows what they are shooting.

But, for the money, I would ( and do) rely on a 22mag, or 22lr.

About the only plus I would put in the 5.7 corner, is its bullet profile/copper jacket and velocity/penetration for dealing with heavy/thick clothing.
Last edited by shooter444 on March 28th, 2020, 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
dotard

Post by dotard »

I am holding out hope that the 57 will become popular and maybe even spawn a PCC to ultimately bring more 5.7 ammo onto store shelves at a better price point so I can shoot my FiveseveN a bit more often and somewhat economically. I have yet to see a 57 in person- perhaps I don't get out enough?
wasr10ak
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by wasr10ak »

might be tempted to get one. I used to have the FN back in the day and the scarcity of the ammo and then the pricing when I did find it drove me get rid of it. Lucky for me I had bought a box of elite ammo before they were removed from the market.
Dangerruss

Post by Dangerruss »

I hope that the 5.7 becomes more mainstream and the ammo prices will fall and better ammo will be available. I am tempted by this Ruger.
mock0013

Post by mock0013 »

Speer Gold Dot bonded has stepped up to the plate to make defensive ammo. Right now they are tuning for the Ruger based shot show interview I can't find. https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/202 ... mmunition/
hoping the ruger and all the AR 5.7 builds causes more manufactures to build 5.7 ammo