I'm thinking of a pistol AR in 45acp,

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Hunter
ArizonaShooting.org Member

I'm thinking of a pistol AR in 45acp,

Post by Hunter »

After resisting hard, any thoughts on a pistol AR, I find myself strangely attracted to the seedy underworld of 4 inch 45acp ARs. In large part because I got a complete lower in trade, kinda. It boiled down to take this New Frontier lower for what I owe you or I'll keep owing ya.

So, anyone have any suggestions for what I should top it with? It has the brace and takes glock mags. I like the idea of 4 in and maybe later on a can. But i have no experience with this kind of thing so I'm looking for advice......from the internet........SSRI's here I come.

Crippledtrigger

Re: I'm thinking of a pistol AR in 45acp,

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Will 10 mm glock mags fit n function? If so that's what I would do.

I've never owned a big glock but the mags might be the same. I'm sure if I'm wrong I will be corrected.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Crippledtrigger wrote: November 6th, 2019, 10:51 pm Will 10 mm glock mags fit n function? If so that's what I would do.

I've never owned a big glock but the mags might be the same. I'm sure if I'm wrong I will be corrected.
https://www.cmmginc.com/product/upper-g ... mk10-10mm/
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Hunter wrote: November 6th, 2019, 8:53 pm After resisting hard, any thoughts on a pistol AR, I find myself strangely attracted to the seedy underworld of 4 inch 45acp ARs. In large part because I got a complete lower in trade, kinda. It boiled down to take this New Frontier lower for what I owe you or I'll keep owing ya.

So, anyone have any suggestions for what I should top it with? It has the brace and takes glock mags. I like the idea of 4 in and maybe later on a can. But i have no experience with this kind of thing so I'm looking for advice......from the internet........SSRI's here I come.
https://www.cmmginc.com/product/upper-g ... kg-45-acp/
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

I began the collection and assembly of an ar in the pistol calibers, 9mm, .45 caliber,in a carbine version first, and did the pistol size, i found the smaller platform not to my liking, would rather utilize a pistol for this use. Carbines are fun to shoot for sure.
but do like the pistol calibers in a should held version, pleasure to shoot and not terribly expensive to run, especially if you shoot a lot
good luck, have a hoot making it run, as the pistol versions that i have been successful in and moved out, took some tuning to make reliable.
Rj
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

Crippledtrigger wrote: November 6th, 2019, 10:51 pm Will 10 mm glock mags fit n function? If so that's what I would do.

Yes the ar glock lowers come in to sizes. Large mag well and small mag well. 10mm uses large mag well 40 cal. Bolt and 10mm barrel. 40 and 357 sig uses a small mag well, 40 bolt and there own barrels. They are easy as hell to build because of no gas system. I do thread and put a allen head bolt through the barrel nut into the upper reciever to keep it from ever backing off.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

knockonit wrote: November 7th, 2019, 5:40 am good luck, have a hoot making it run, as the pistol versions that i have been successful in and moved out, took some tuning to make reliable.
Rj
Amen brother. I built my 45acp before there were factory examples in that caliber. Getting the right combination of buffer weight and spring pressure cost me a lot of ammo, but it was fun.

Now there are a lot of factory combinations out there that can be used as a basis for a build.
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

I thought about 10/40. But that means a new caliber to reload, dies, powder, trial and error. 45 I can do in my sleep and I already have a lot of 1911s

So what, I'm guessing you need more spring and heavy buffer? How much does barrel lenght effect things?
Miker12

Post by Miker12 »

The New LWRCI SMG-45 Pistol Caliber Carbine ($3K though)
Attachments
a54f6d2c70fdb3836c8cb2d02da204d8.jpg
a54f6d2c70fdb3836c8cb2d02da204d8.jpg (25.86 KiB) Viewed 9184 times
14c456725dac67c04e83b5064ac3f877.jpg
14c456725dac67c04e83b5064ac3f877.jpg (13.48 KiB) Viewed 9184 times
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

my goal is to have pistol caliber carbines, presently assembling a .45, and as the lower will accommodate the 10mm, will also do an upper for it.
lotsa options, so the experiment begins
Rj
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

Mine is a 10.5" barrel. I think RJ is building a 16" so we will see if length affects much. The biggest problem I had to overcome was feeding. Extraction and ejection always seemed to be fine, getting enough force behind the bolt to push the fat chick into the seat took some playing. With no gas to adjust it take away one tuning tool.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

knockonit

Post by knockonit »

hmm, trying to find the link to a buffer system that came with up sizing weights to figure out the need, i hate it when i hide crap from myself, once i find it will post it. friend advised me of this to figure out buffer needs for multiple units he was assembling

happy friday
Rj
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

I saw that too, just can't remember where. Came with like three or four different weights and a range of 6 to 11 ounces?
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »