North American Arms 22s.

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
weenis
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: North American Arms 22s.

Post by weenis »

thom wrote: October 27th, 2019, 11:01 pm Just asking to see if there are that many owned here? I agree they are a novelty, but the do fire 22 magnums.

Thom
The .22 magnum NAA mini's fire .22 magnum.

I prefer the .22lr NAA's, since even with .22lr, the recoil combined with lack of grip still has some muzzle flip. The gun is fun as all get out though. Great belly gun, dog walking gun, or for dispatching critters.

The guns are typically well made, and hold their value. There are some variants that are pretty cool, like a top break action, or swing out cylinder. The pug is cool, I haven't shot one. I would imagine the extra weight out front would mitigate some of the muzzle flip.

As to the guy in this thread that dropped his, and it fired, I don't know what on earth he was doing, but there's a notch in the cylinder that the hammer drops into that secures the hammer in place. The only way I can thing it went off is if SOMEHOW he dropped it in such a way that one of the other rounds on the sides of the cylinder was struck by a sharp object. But even that would be hard to believe.

They did have different generations of design, the very early NAA Mini revolvers don't have the safety notch, all the other ones do.

1bardan+

Post by 1bardan+ »

Solar_Empire wrote: March 1st, 2020, 9:14 pm
1bardan+ wrote: March 1st, 2020, 8:46 pm Carried a pocket clip .22lr NAA for years, about 5 years ago got home from work emptied my pockets and belt on my patio bar, grabbed a brew and started to watch the world series, went to grab my brew for a swig and knocked the mini off the bar hit the concrete and BLAM the f*** went through my calf and up into a bar sign behind me

I keep a blank under the hammer on mine because it looks like an injury waiting to happen
Why not just put the hammer in the safety notch? Also, that story is exactly like the other one listed above. Same guy? :think:
Yes it's the other guys experience that I didn't do the quote correctly.
Yes I put the hammer on the safety notch, but it looks wimpy and a good strike to the hammer would hit that .22 rim. Mine is at least 30 years old. I hope they redesigned the hammer situation on subsequent North Amer Freedom guns. Mine is a .22lr so it's real small, about the size of a roll of nickels and real hard to shoot. Accuracy beyond 10 feet is nonexistent and the cylinder pin sometimes pops out a little. If you really needed this for defense, after you hear the bang, run for your life. He's real mad and all you have is a 50 foot lead.
Solar_Empire

Post by Solar_Empire »

1bardan+ wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 11:51 am
1bardan+ wrote: March 1st, 2020, 8:46 pm Carried a pocket clip .22lr NAA for years, about 5 years ago got home from work emptied my pockets and belt on my patio bar, grabbed a brew and started to watch the world series, went to grab my brew for a swig and knocked the mini off the bar hit the concrete and BLAM the f*** went through my calf and up into a bar sign behind me

I keep a blank under the hammer on mine because it looks like an injury waiting to happen
Why not just put the hammer in the safety notch? Also, that story is exactly like the other one listed above. Same guy? :think:
Yes I put the hammer on the safety notch, but it looks wimpy and a good strike to the hammer would hit that .22 rim. Mine is at least 30 years old. I hope they redesigned the hammer situation on subsequent North Amer Freedom guns. Mine is a .22lr so it's real small, about the size of a roll of nickels and real hard to shoot. Accuracy beyond 10 feet is nonexistent and the cylinder pin sometimes pops out a little. If you really needed this for defense, after you hear the bang, run for your life. He's real mad and all you have is a 50 foot lead.
How would a hammer strike cause the round to go off? It sits between the rounds...unless the older ones don't have it I guess, or maybe you are talking about half cock?
weenis

Post by weenis »

1bardan+ wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 11:51 am

Yes I put the hammer on the safety notch, but it looks wimpy and a good strike to the hammer would hit that .22 rim. Mine is at least 30 years old. I hope they redesigned the hammer situation on subsequent North Amer Freedom guns.
That's not how this works.

You could smack the hammer with a sledge hammer, and you'll hit nothing but cylinder with no AD.
1bardan+

Post by 1bardan+ »

Mine doesn't have that mid-round notch on the cylinder. It's only a partial cock with the hammer right over a round.
Yours must be far newer than mine. That looks way safer.
weenis

Post by weenis »

Partial cock hammer and safety notch are very different.

You have a very early gen.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Your early gen should be carried ' early single action army ' safe style,... hammer over an empty cylinder.
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

They're fun to shoot. And damned loud.
Traded mine for a Norinco 45 years ago.
Damnnit now I want another one.
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

I picked up a Ranger II .22/.22mag its a cool little trinket, but has its quirky issues. The cylinder release is right in front of the hammer and can be inadvertently actuated when cocking hammer if great care is not exercised. Not ideal in a stress situation. The Process for lowering the hammer into a safety notch takes some practice with an empty cylinder. The instructions for this procedure are not that clear in the manual. As a guy that buys guns just for fun its great, as a serious tool its probably not at the top of my list. The quality and fit are really nice. The company is great. I liked the older ranger 1 better. I need to look for one.
thom

Post by thom »

h8pvmnt wrote: March 27th, 2020, 7:50 am I picked up a Ranger II .22/.22mag its a cool little trinket, but has its quirky issues. The cylinder release is right in front of the hammer and can be inadvertently actuated when cocking hammer if great care is not exercised. Not ideal in a stress situation. The Process for lowering the hammer into a safety notch takes some practice with an empty cylinder. The instructions for this procedure are not that clear in the manual. As a guy that buys guns just for fun its great, as a serious tool its probably not at the top of my list. The quality and fit are really nice. The company is great. I liked the older ranger 1 better. I need to look for one.
If you cock it with your left thumb does it hit the cylinder release?
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

Not sure; that is a valid point! I will give it a try and report back. Thanks.
Dangerruss

Post by Dangerruss »

I have one. .22mag. very well made and carries well. shot loads are very effective on snakes.
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

Cocking the ranger with the left thumb has the potential to also actuate the release but using care and practice can mitigate it. Still like the gun. Just an unintended variable.
Bullzaye

Post by Bullzaye »

cool arrow wrote: October 29th, 2019, 9:19 pm I keep mine loaded with snake shot.

I figure if someone can take 5 rounds of snake shot in the face, I deserve whatever comes next.
Just a little food for thought...plenty of people have done various tests over the years on handgun shotshells, for defensive purposes. They've all concluded that they are entirely inadequate to the task. Again...I'm just putting this out there as something to think about.
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

maybe, maybe not, but my use of the NAA and snake shot would be up close and personal, and to buy me time to get to something bigger...