44 Magnums

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Nev
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Re: 44 Magnums

Post by Nev »

Grew up in AZ, gone 20 yrs, finally moved back in March. Was in Anchorage for two years before getting back. Did a lot of research on Alaska outdoor/hunting forums for what to carry for our outdoor adventures when I was up there. Ended up with the beefier frame Redhawk 5044 with the 4.2" barrel. It's a beast. Love it. Likely overkill here in the deserts where most my time is spent, have other carry options. But for now I'm keeping it.

shooter444
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by shooter444 »

I don't believe in the concept of "over kill". I have been a 44mag guy for more decades than I wish to admit. :D

The only thing I have come to realized, about 44's,... is that my taste for makes, models and specs have changed,... that's all!

Welcome back to Az,... enjoy!
Last edited by shooter444 on December 19th, 2019, 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

I've been selling off some of my 44's and keeping my 357's mainly because of the recoil and I also had guns I never shot... but I'm keeping the S&W 629 4" Mountain Gun, the 6" 629 Classic with reddot and the Marlin 1895 lever...
Now I'm debating over selling the 629 6" and a 29 8 3/8"... I rationalize that the Classic has a red dot so i need the regular 629 for its open sights and the 8" would be good for silhouette shooting (if I ever do that).... if someone comes along and waves cash under my nose i may succumb to the temptation... oh what to do...
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

My first Handgun i bought in 1985 was a Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk 44 Mag with a 10" Barrel. I don't know why i went with the 10" barrel. I guess as a youngster i must have thought bigger is better. I carried that giant revolver on multiple deer hunts and javelina hunts. It was with me anytime i was out in the woods. I still own the revolver today. Don't shoot it much but still cherish it. Then i got to shoot a 4" S&W model 29 and my mindset changed. Today i own more revolvers than one man needs. I prefer the single actions still to this day. But i tend to only use and carry those with barrels in the 4-6" range. I have 2 original Colt type Single Action Army revolvers and i find them very pleasing to own and shoot. My favorites are the Ruger Vaquero, Montado, Birdshead single actions in .45 colt. While i still own and shoot 44 i have come to appreciate the 45 colt. In a lever gun i prefer the 45-70 for hunting. I have never shot the 444 marlin but i think it is a great cartridge.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Ditto, on 45 Colt caliber! A step up, because of bullet selection, over 44mag,... imo. And with all the latest calibers coming out, ie, 460, 480, 500 etc,... the 44mag seems to be left behind, to be appreciated by those who feel it is quite powerful enough, and, by those getting a little flinchy with the bigger bores! :D

As a reloader, the bigger bores, with their massively larger bullets, that can be loaded DOWN,... has been on my horizon for awhile now.

But, there will always be a spot for a 44mag in my safe.
Pale Rider

Post by Pale Rider »

The older I get the more I've gone to 44 special loads for the 629. Easier on my nerves and I'm just more accurate. Still load magnums for the lever gun though.
storage_man

Post by storage_man »

Harrier wrote: December 19th, 2019, 6:00 am I've been selling off some of my 44's and keeping my 357's mainly because of the recoil and I also had guns I never shot... but I'm keeping the S&W 629 4" Mountain Gun, the 6" 629 Classic with reddot and the Marlin 1895 lever...
Now I'm debating over selling the 629 6" and a 29 8 3/8"... I rationalize that the Classic has a red dot so i need the regular 629 for its open sights and the 8" would be good for silhouette shooting (if I ever do that).... if someone comes along and waves cash under my nose i may succumb to the temptation... oh what to do...
I have the same problem with recoil, and that is why I kept the Desert Eagle. Its more controllable than the .38 special S&W I have. Some body has a .44 mag Smith up for sale with a 4.2" barrel, but I keep telling my self "Don't do it". All it going to do is hurt you.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

That's the nice thing about reloading,... you can custom load for recoil by weapon weight, and, or, barrel length. I never had to down load much for Ruger's with 7.5 barrels, or longer. Even with 310grn full house Hammer Head commercial loads! I just got tired of carrying long barreled revo's in the mountains! As I stated above,... 44's are great,...when I adjust the make and model to my ever evolving taste. I like 5" at the longest, and, 3 " as the shortest, for my back country revo's.
lostdog99

Post by lostdog99 »

I have had the Ruger Super Blackhawk 7.5 inch, S&W 629 (around 7.5 inch also), currently have a Ruger Super Redhawk 7.5 inch.
Zero problems with any of them. Sticking with the Sup. Red . . .I like the double action for potential self defense, it takes heavy mag loads all day long (I occasionally need to let it cool off . . .but that is me). I like that it shares trigger components with the GP-100 family and trigger kits work well and are easy to find.
P.S - I love the porting from Mag-Na-Port. I highly recommend it if your 44 is going to be a heavy use piece.

I am with you Flash. I miss the days when people didn't buy guns for cool, or macho, factor. They knew their firearm and how to manage it. I have had some walk into the shop, hold up a gun, and say "I need ammo for this". They had no idea of the make or caliber of their firearm. . . .
Any gun CAN be safe if you are.
Bullzaye

Post by Bullzaye »

I love my Smith's, my Rugers...*and* my Dan Wesson's. I'd hate to have to pick just one to keep.

My Ruger is a 5.5" Redhawk. Shoots like a dream. Love the bbl. length too...I think more manufacturers should make 5" bbls. I do have a 5" M.29, but I haven't had the chance to shoot it too much yet. I love the interchangeable bbls. on the Dan Wesson's, with the 4" Full Underlug and the 8" FU being my faves.

Guess I'm not much help! :confusion-shrug: