Calling all 1911 owner's

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Gatsby
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Re: Calling all 1911 owner's

Post by Gatsby »

Pima Pants wrote: March 27th, 2020, 10:59 pm I have owned, sold, traded approximately 60 different handguns in my 65 years on this earth and I bought a Colt Defender (second one I have owned) several months ago. I took it to the indoor range here in Prescott to function fire it. The feeling of that wonderful 1911 trigger immediately came back to me and I had a great time with the gun. No misfires or malfunctions whatsoever. I'm carrying it daily IWB with no issues. When I took it apart and cleaned it, I fortunately remembered to avoid the "idiot scratch" when re- inserting the slide stop lever!
I'm glad you're happy with it! I switched back to carrying my full size (TRP) and just not caring if I print.

knockonit
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by knockonit »

one of the finest platforms ever concieved. I grew up shooting my gramps from after ww1, still have it, rattles like a rattle snake on the prowl, but still somehow hits point of aim, not overly accurate but it will do what it needs inside the "range" and since i've owned and do own probably more than most have ever seen in one place. All makers, and to some i'm an odd ball, never been a lover of the "great ones'' which ever you call (meaning the maker of said unit), first thing the old guy taught me was to learn to shoot it and shoot it well, and i have. they all shoot, and in my amazement if i did my part well, you know the rest.
in recent years i've leaned over to 9mm, as i have found a few units that meet my fancy, but can say an outting to the lead ranch, always includes a .45 1911 style unit just cause, can't help me self.
and as time went by do have a couple favorites, and have to say the dan wesson line is it. damm can they shoot. but i always, have a old a1 norinco with in range at home and on road.

buy more, as one cannot quell the need to own, shoot and enjoy
Rj
Pima Pants
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by Pima Pants »

Gatsby wrote: March 28th, 2020, 4:37 am
Pima Pants wrote: March 27th, 2020, 10:59 pm I have owned, sold, traded approximately 60 different handguns in my 65 years on this earth and I bought a Colt Defender (the second one I have owned) several months ago. I took it to the indoor range here in Prescott to function fire it. The feeling of that wonderful 1911 trigger immediately came back to me and I had a great time with the gun. No misfires or malfunctions whatsoever. I'm carrying it daily IWB with no issues. When I took it apart and cleaned it, I, fortunately, remembered to avoid the "idiot scratch" when reinserting the slide stop lever!
I'm glad you're happy with it! I switched back to carrying my full size (TRP) and just not caring if I print.
Thanks again Gatsby for the excellent deal! It is a great little gun that conceals well. I'm glad you are carrying your TRP and I know the full size works best for you. Take care in these unusual times.
outdoorplay

Post by outdoorplay »

For me it has to be a 1911 and it has to be 45acp
I had a kimber custom shop 1911 in 9mm I got in trade. I loved how it shot, but the reduced recoil threw me off and I had to let it go. Anyone have a similar experience?
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

I like shooting my RIA 38super.

My favourites are my 2 Norinco 45s.

Then there's the distant 3rd my colt lightweight officer also in 45
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

norinco fan myself, have a couple that just keep on going, partial time carry is a para slim hawg, in .45, fun gun, i shoot it well, big fav is a dan wesson point man, and the usual fan fare of the platform, i grew up shooting a .45, but have lately gravitated to shooting and reloading a gaggle of 9mm, and do carry a shield at times. well a lot actually,
really doens't matter a whole lot what i carry as long as i'm confident in my shooting skil with it.
best of luck
Rj
kptaylor

Post by kptaylor »

The SA trigger has ruined many of the modern guns for me. Trying to adjust to a DAO heavier pull trigger always throws me for a loop. I can almost always shoot the 1911 much more accurately than any of the other guns in the safe.
Tech0552

Post by Tech0552 »

I’m not a huge fan of the 1911’s, but if I had to pick one(I’ve shot a bunch of them) I would have to pick the Kimber 1911, worst one on the list for me is the Taurus 1911. Personally, I would rather have my Springfield XDM over a 1911 but that’s just me.
AZdad2-3
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by AZdad2-3 »

Just bought my first 1911.
Springfield ultra compact.
Amazingly accurate and feels great.
I couldn’t make my mind up on it or a CZ 75 sp01 tactical so I bought them both. Sadly wifey immediately put me in spending restrictions 😂.
Funny thing she loves them both and wants to carry the 1911 as her own.
I see many years of shooting this fine piece of forged metal with great enthusiasm.
Tech0552

Post by Tech0552 »

AZdad2-3 wrote: April 15th, 2020, 1:53 pm Just bought my first 1911.
Springfield ultra compact.
Amazingly accurate and feels great.
I couldn’t make my mind up on it or a CZ 75 sp01 tactical so I bought them both. Sadly wifey immediately put me in spending restrictions 😂.
Funny thing she loves them both and wants to carry the 1911 as her own.
I see many years of shooting this fine piece of forged metal with great enthusiasm.
I am a Springfield guy, and it’s probably the only 1911 I haven’t had the chance to shoot. Nice purchase! I hope I get a chance to shoot one soon enough
Joelgas1

Post by Joelgas1 »

Is anyone a fan of the Para Ordinance 45 double stacks? Ive owned a couple Springfield 1911’s but the skinny grips just don’t suit my large hands. As soon as I shot my first P13 I fell in love and own all the Para models now
cjr

Post by cjr »

A couple of Springfield 45 and 9mm. Two 1911a1 WW2.
jlfornoff

Post by jlfornoff »

my obsession with 1911's started with a Llama clone! I loved that POS! I found out the hard way that it was a clone and that real 1911 parts didn't fit... so that's where my gunsmithing obsession started! I had to modify everything that I bought for it, the dovetail safety didn't fit so I had to use jewelers files to file it down to fit correctly. then I bought some Hogue grips... they didn't fit so I took my original grips and modified them to fit so I could use the finger groves. my next big project is to build a 1911 from scratch! I'm going to go with an ECD compact 45. i will make a post of my build to show the progress.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

AZ1182 wrote: April 22nd, 2020, 12:35 pm Is it sacrilege to want a 1911 in 9x19? If it is, I want to be THAT guy then, because I most certainly want one, just haven't seen a need to start saving when I have other things taking priorities. Maybe I should though...as a birthday gift to myself or from the wife.

I'm thinking Springfield Armory with a light rail.

SACRILEGE? HELL NO! :D Well, not in my opinion. I thought about a 1911 / 9mm for years, a long time ago!

But, as with most things in life, I do have a few caveats attached. :D I think any of the calibers available in a 1911 format is a personal choice, so, there is no right or wrong,... unless one is a staunch purest, which I am not.

My caveats are, I prefer the original GI spec frames, no double stacks (unless the caliber is small enough to fit in the original GI frame), no rails, no forward serrations, no sights that don't fit the basic originals (today's three dot / etc. don't bother me,... in fact I like mine),... I have considered some caliber change kits for my Springfield GI model, but, after some research realized I can make the 45acp / 45 +P / 45 Super, do just about anything I want, to do!

Get what you like guy,... you only have to satisfy yourself!!!
Pscipio03

Post by Pscipio03 »

AZ1182 wrote: April 22nd, 2020, 12:35 pm Is it sacrilege to want a 1911 in 9x19? If it is, I want to be THAT guy then, because I most certainly want one, just haven't seen a need to start saving when I have other things taking priorities. Maybe I should though...as a birthday gift to myself or from the wife.

I'm thinking Springfield Armory with a light rail.
Nope, but personally I prefer a doublestack 1911 if I'm going 9mm.
Have a number of them and single stacks in 45.
I had a SACS Pro in 9mm, but sold it after one range trip. When I put it up against my railed SACS Pro in 45, I just knew I would never shoot it enough to validate keeping it. However, if you're getting up there in age or have an injury to your wrist/hand, and the 45 recoil is difficult to manage, the 9mm in 1911 is a good substitution.
Going forward, if I get anything in 1911 aside from 45, the only other caliber I'll look at is the 38 Super. 9mm on steroids and just a laser to shoot.