S&W M&P's.... My Choice.

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Joe_Blacke
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: S&W M&P's.... My Choice.

Post by Joe_Blacke »

I feel there is a difference in the grip as well beyond the 1 and 2 models. I hate my 1.0 model as it doesn’t feel like I naturally get a high grip. Don’t have that problem with the 2.0. I think with the removal of the beaver tail they redesigned the tang geometry also.

Dauph

Post by Dauph »

Really want to pick up a 2.0 compact. I have the 1.0 and like it. Little bigger than the G26 but also has two more rounds. The Shield has been my primary for a while though. Great little carry gun especially this time of year.
Noshoot

Post by Noshoot »

Hansen wrote: May 24th, 2018, 4:41 pm
John Kuhns wrote: May 20th, 2018, 5:02 pm Unlike Hansen I opted to keep the safety on mine. Sure, I can remove it but am choosing not to.
Two reasons I removed the safety! #1 was during a force on force drill I actually engaged the safety on two separate occasions on the same day. While conducting live fire drills a week later, I did the same thing again.... I removed the safety that night! All my M&P's have NO safety, so I made this one emulate them too.

I have trained myself to treat my guns as they have no safety engagement on them. Since 1988 I have had no issue at all with this method and it continues on. No reason to change it up... I know of people that do leave the safeties on them and that is all well and good too.
I shoot everything with high thrumbs (especially my hand that grips) like I would a 1911. This makes it easy for me when I have switched back and forth between different platforms.
Hansen

Post by Hansen »

Noshoot wrote: May 25th, 2018, 2:53 pm
Hansen wrote: May 24th, 2018, 4:41 pm
John Kuhns wrote: May 20th, 2018, 5:02 pm Unlike Hansen I opted to keep the safety on mine. Sure, I can remove it but am choosing not to.
Two reasons I removed the safety! #1 was during a force on force drill I actually engaged the safety on two separate occasions on the same day. While conducting live fire drills a week later, I did the same thing again.... I removed the safety that night! All my M&P's have NO safety, so I made this one emulate them too.

I have trained myself to treat my guns as they have no safety engagement on them. Since 1988 I have had no issue at all with this method and it continues on. No reason to change it up... I know of people that do leave the safeties on them and that is all well and good too.
I shoot everything with high thrumbs (especially my hand that grips) like I would a 1911. This makes it easy for me when I have switched back and forth between different platforms.
I hear ya, same for me as in no safety to deal with. I couldn't get into 1911's, I tried....
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

The only M&P's i have are 9mm Shields. They have become the favorite in a carry gun around here. My wife owns a G-19 and a KAHR PM-9. She shoots the shield far better she has small hands and the glock is too big. The KAHR has far too much recoil and a terrible trigger. The ones we have are all 1.0 and have stock triggers. While i know the apex is an improvement, the triggers on the shields after shooting a bit are perfectly serviceable to us. It's not intended to be a match gun. I also prefer guns with no safety, but for my wife in her purse she prefers the safety model. Just this week i purchased a new .380 EZ shield for her to try. Didn't even get to range before found there was a consumer advisory on the new gun requiring a return to S&W, Broke rule number one never buy a new designed gun in first year or two... So we will have to wait a few weeks to try it out.
cjr

Post by cjr »

M&P is what I prefer especially pro core model. I will say the factory trigger is not my favorite. Apex is the way to go, changes to feel like a 1911.
RickOShea
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by RickOShea »

While the APEX trigger is amazing in a 2.0, I keep shooting the daylights out of mine with the stock trigger. I had the APEX in a 2.0 FDE model but chose to sell it to try another pistol. It was almost too good with the APEX.

There is something about the grip and the texture on these that makes me own one. It just works for me. I found that the Med/Large back strap is great.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

RickOShea wrote: June 2nd, 2018, 3:44 pm While the APEX trigger is amazing in a 2.0, I keep shooting the daylights out of mine with the stock trigger. I had the APEX in a 2.0 FDE model but chose to sell it to try another pistol. It was almost too good with the APEX.

There is something about the grip and the texture on these that makes me own one. It just works for me. I found that the Med/Large back strap is great.

Agreed!

From the first moment I picked up a S&W M&P Shield 2.0, it came home with me. The grip sold me with its, not too small/not too large, size. The grip allows my 45acp reloads to be a shoot all day pleasure. It has replaced all my other carry pieces.
Last edited by shooter444 on July 7th, 2018, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
thom

Post by thom »

Hansen wrote: May 20th, 2018, 3:32 pm
admin wrote: May 16th, 2018, 6:53 am I tried to like the M&P; I really tried - but I could not get past the trigger on it. Yeah, I know you can get the aftermarket ones like the aforementioned APEX, but those are not cheap and it defeats one of the main draws to the M&P: the cost.
The 1.0 are 39.99 and the 2.0 are expensive at 120.00 plus. But I bought the gun because it was better for me than the Glocks. Not due to price.
Where were you finding the price of $39.99 or the gen 1?
Thanks
Thom
Dat_Ginga

Post by Dat_Ginga »

I love the M&P pistols but always seem to sell them when i get them. I think that is due to just being so invested in Glocks between magazines and all the gear.

When I had a first gen full size I couldn’t stop shooting it. I never did put an APEX trigger in it as the trigger got better and better the more I shot the gun. My buddy just put the APEX in his new 2.0 and the trigger is awesome.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

I've been a S&W guy for many many years, at one time I had over 50 of em (mostly revolvers). So when the M&P 40 compact came out I wanted one. But I couldn't make up my mind between it and the XD 40 sub compact... so i bought them both and went to the range for 'guno a guno'
I tested 4 boxes of factory ammo that day, 155, 165 & 180 gr. (FMJ & JHP) In all cases the XD had far tighter groups and ate everything while the M&P experienced several feed jams and 5-shot groups were larger. With further 'breakin-in' the feed issues went away. Later I bought 9mm conversion barrels for both (+mags) and retested with various 9mm. Basically the same results.
I still like the M&P plus nothing can beat the feel of the M&P in the hand but my money went for more XD's
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

My Shield 45acp has NEVER failed from bullet one!

When I had a XDs 45acp, it NEVER failed as well, from bullet one!

But I just couldn't get comfortable with the XDs recoil. I'm sure this is strictly a personal judgement, as it is with every weapon I own. Case in point, GLOCKS, I could never get passed their feel from moment one, and they are probably the most popular handgun out there, for everyone else.
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

I expected the 9mm Shield to be harder to shoot because of it's size, but it shoots nice for such a small pistol.
rockbronco

Post by rockbronco »

I absolutely love my M&Ps! I already own a 45c and 9c both with apex upgrades.I have not been on the up and up lately to know they have a 2.0 version now! I may have to find another one I can not live with out! I have been eyeing a shield for a while but have not jumped on getting one yet.
johnpowers6

Post by johnpowers6 »

I have the Shield in 9... good shooter right out of the box and a comfortable carry weapon. I do wish I got the .40 but only because I have other weapons in that cal and no other 9s.