S&W 629-4 Trade for Glock 19x

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Wrektum
ArizonaShooting.org Member

S&W 629-4 Trade for Glock 19x

Post by Wrektum »

Hi,
I have an offer on the table to trade my S&W 629-4 for a Glock 19x.
Does this trade favor the Glock owner over me and my 629? Is it a close trade?
Keep in mind the 629 sits in the safe while I am a big Glock fan and the 19x will get carry/range time.
Both guns are in pristine condition while my S&W 629-4 is about 10 years old and his Glock 19x is around one year old.
Any thoughts on the trade?

redj

Re: S&W 629-4 Trade for Glock 19x

Post by redj »

I don't know what either one is worth , but I am sure in the future the S&W will be worth more than the Glock.
It's just a matter of what they are worth to you now.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

629s are selling for way more than Glock 19Xs.
Look at gunbroker, etc., to get comparable prices for both guns.
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

depends on the shape of the S&W.

Glock 19's are fetching $450-550 depending on shape, model, and mods
needsmostuff

Post by needsmostuff »

If it's a nice 629 it's probably worth two Glocks .
But I am a revolver guy.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

needsmostuff wrote: April 12th, 2019, 7:38 am If it's a nice 629 it's probably worth two Glocks .
But I am a revolver guy.
I would have to agree with that.
Wrektum

Post by Wrektum »

Thank you all for the advice.
The I called around and looked on gunbroker and it appears that the Glock sells (used pristine for used pristine) about $100-$150 less than the 629-4.
I don't care for the 629 and I have other revolvers (airweight and single six) so I think if I can ask for $100 in addition to the Glock for my 629 I will proceed with the deal.
How does that sound?
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Is it a 4" or 6" or? 44? Do you have the box & papers? They all add to the value. For re-sale, a 4" is usually worth more than a 6".
Glocks seem to be in high supply and prices are stable in the lower to mid-range but many Smiths are getting a premium.
I'd ask for the full $150 (or avg of gunbroker equal value) as many pristine S&W are getting closer to 800-900 than the low end.
A clean, run of the mill 29 6" by itself will get 750 without much trouble.
needsmostuff

Post by needsmostuff »

↑▲↑↑▲↑↑▲↑↑▲↑↑▲↑↑▲↑

Yeah , What Harrier said.
Every little tidbit of information affects the value of the 629 .I think the way you are shaping up the swap you are leaving money on the table.
If you are not in a rush list it for sale here ( with a good picture and include barrel length) and I believe you can do much better.
Glocks ,,,,Meh. Lots available. 629s ,,,not so much.
Take your time and do it right.
Wrektum

Post by Wrektum »

Hello again,
There are some great points here and I have been persuaded to hang on to the 629 or just sell it go and buy the Glock 19x and pocket some cash. It looks like I could pocket up to $300.
The Smith is in near perfect condition with a 4" barrel, case, keys and test shells.
I can't add pictures here I just get an "error" sign when I try.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

You may want to consider offering the Glock owner, the opportunity to add cash with his Glock. Finding trades that fit our wants can be tedious at best, sometimes.

Can't hurt to offer.

Just a thought,... it would save you the hassle of selling your S&W.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

shooter444 wrote: April 13th, 2019, 6:05 pm You may want to consider offering the Glock owner, the opportunity to add cash with his Glock. Finding trades that fit our wants can be tedious at best, sometimes.

Can't hurt to offer.

That is actually great advice. Figure your going to ask $800-1000. It may sit a good while and then you may have to drive here and there and listen to low ball offers. If your not in a rush ... cool but if all the trading partner has to do is come up with $250-300 to make the deal you could have a new toy sooner and with far less headaches.
Wrektum

Post by Wrektum »

Boriqua wrote: April 13th, 2019, 7:48 pm
shooter444 wrote: April 13th, 2019, 6:05 pm You may want to consider offering the Glock owner, the opportunity to add cash with his Glock. Finding trades that fit our wants can be tedious at best, sometimes.

Can't hurt to offer.

That is actually great advice. Figure your going to ask $800-1000. It may sit a good while and then you may have to drive here and there and listen to low ball offers. If your not in a rush ... cool but if all the trading partner has to do is come up with $250-300 to make the deal you could have a new toy sooner and with far less headaches.
Thanks for all the help. I looked and noticed I posted as a 629-4 when it is actually a 629-6 made in 2006. I don't know if the -4 vs -6 makes any difference. Am I missing something? Are the older models more favorable?
In doing my research I found a new 629 at sportsmans for $859 and used a fair amount lower.
I know it will hold its value much longer than the Glock will hold its value. And I'm also comfortable with it just sitting in my safe because after all it is a Smith and Wesson .44 magnum and as such it is really cool.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

IIRC the -4 may be the last one before the hated lock appeared (I may be thinking of the 686- no time to check that).
Many people think the presence of the lock is undesirable thus those models are slightly less value than the older ones.
Some take the lock out and put a blank hole filler in. It's been around long enough now that recent people to the gun world don't think much about it. YMMV

The -4 is said to be the most desirable version with enhancements but before the safety and cost saving changes were implemented.
Desirable Features include a Hammer Mounted Firing Pin instead of in the frame, forged hammer & trigger (and other parts- the absence of MIM). If the barrel tapers just after the cylinder its called a mountain gun and is often more desirable than the straight 'bull' barrel model because it is lighter to carry.

The main modification to look for is the larger locking lugs on the cylinder- early 44s could 'unlock' during recoil and let the cylinder rotate out of alignment- this is called the enhancement package.

People often forget the bad QC S&W had in the 80's when owned by Lear-Seagle. Previous to that Bangor-Punta owned them and quality wasn't too bad but according to many, the real fit & finish craftsmanship were in the guns prior to 68 (others will say pre-WWII).

There are many many changes that went with each -dash number of each specific model.... you need "the book" or good google-foo to figure them all out.
Wrektum

Post by Wrektum »

Harrier wrote: April 20th, 2019, 7:49 am IIRC the -4 may be the last one before the hated lock appeared (I may be thinking of the 686- no time to check that).
Many people think the presence of the lock is undesirable thus those models are slightly less value than the older ones.
Some take the lock out and put a blank hole filler in. It's been around long enough now that recent people to the gun world don't think much about it. YMMV

The -4 is said to be the most desirable version with enhancements but before the safety and cost saving changes were implemented.
Desirable Features include a Hammer Mounted Firing Pin instead of in the frame, forged hammer & trigger (and other parts- the absence of MIM). If the barrel tapers just after the cylinder its called a mountain gun and is often more desirable than the straight 'bull' barrel model because it is lighter to carry.

The main modification to look for is the larger locking lugs on the cylinder- early 44s could 'unlock' during recoil and let the cylinder rotate out of alignment- this is called the enhancement package.

People often forget the bad QC S&W had in the 80's when owned by Lear-Seagle. Previous to that Bangor-Punta owned them and quality wasn't too bad but according to many, the real fit & finish craftsmanship were in the guns prior to 68 (others will say pre-WWII).

There are many many changes that went with each -dash number of each specific model.... you need "the book" or good google-foo to figure them all out.
Hi,
The -6 has the lock. I looked on Wikipedia and it has all the dash changes.
Did that lower the resale value of my .44?
Thanks