RMR on Glock 34

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
338lapua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

RMR on Glock 34

Post by 338lapua »

Thought I would cheap out and go Vortex but after killing a Venom in 8 trips to the range and less than 2,000 rounds I bought a RMR. Really starting to like this optic. Already at 6 rage trips with it and over 3K rounds so it has already outlived my Venom. Next month I will put one on my M&P CORE. Starting to increase shooting speed. Shot at 10 yards. One group was slow fire and one was mag dumps.
Attachments
_32942775_631158903889749_6506411390813601792_n.jpg
__34768988_2270300663197349_4648699891965493248_n_002.jpg

mike400

Re: RMR on Glock 34

Post by mike400 »

I have a venom on my G34, hope it doesn't get destroyed. About 800 rounds and still working great. I have an RMR as well, but I like the clearer glass and bigger window on the Venom. I have to admit though the RMR seems a more durable optic.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

I liked the Venom over the rmr as I pick up the dot faster but I cant deal with how short of a time I get out of one. Maybe somedau they can get them as reliable as a RMR with a little more cost than they are now and I will buy again. My Venom was on a M&P which has a shorter slide so maybe that has something to do with it.
cjr

Post by cjr »

Had a Venom that didn't last 20 rds. Sent it back. They sent back a new one. I then sold it without even trying it. Went with RMR and also Burris fast fire 3. Not one single problem with either one.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

cjr wrote: June 16th, 2018, 6:51 pm Had a Venom that didn't last 20 rds. Sent it back. They sent back a new one. I then sold it without even trying it. Went with RMR and also Burris fast fire 3. Not one single problem with either one.
I sold my replacement in a sealed box too when I got it. I may buy another one when I convert all my suppressed 22 pistols to a dot soon, I think they can handle that application.
Razai

Post by Razai »

I actively search for threads like these and I appreciate your thoughts. I have decades of handgun shooting under my belt with just about everything out there. I actually enjoy playing "beta tester," as I enjoy new toys. I love the theory behind RDS-equipped handguns, especially carry guns, but I got a rude awakening about a year back at Avery. Went to the Outdoor Expo and shot a SIG P320 with their sight. My five round mag didn't touch the steel, and I doubt the plate was more than 7 yards away. The lady saw my shocked expression (I am not Leatham, but I can shoot the friggin' snot out of a SIG), and gave me a second mag. I took my time with that one, and still only pinged the steel once. I don't think it was the sight. I heard others doing just fine. My muscle memory is so set that it had to be something I was doing. Just haven't the slightest idea what it could have been. Did you guys find that there was a learning curve with your guns? I am fast on target with irons, and pretty fast with dots on rifles, so I figured I'd be better able to adjust with dotted handguns.
I welcome your thoughts. (I don't mean to hijack the thread. I honestly felt this was an appropriate detour. If not, I'll move this to a new thread.)
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

If you really want information on dots on pistols go here. Aaron Cowan is the best one out there evaluating, torture testing and training people how to use them. I am going through every red dot video again as I pick something new up every time I watch them. His torture testing is brutal using the optic to rack the slide against multiple objects as well as multiple shoulder height drops. So far the RMR is the only one to make it past 10K rounds for him. He Killed a Sig Romeo this week before mid morning past. Figure he will kill Vortex in minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SageDynamics

About ten years ago my pistol skills went went down hill, my eyes are just not picking up most iron sights anymore, everything is sharp in my vision where I used to be able to blur the sights or the target at will. Think the problem is I am focusing on two points at one time which isn't working. This was only on paper but on steel I was still very accurate I could just focus on the steel and bring the sights into my focus and hit it every time, even t box shots. I could still hit well at 10-15 yards on paper and do mag dumps but I also hit every organ in the body as well. I wanted my accuracy back again so this is how I am getting it. When I took out my old unlimited competition pistols and especially my old Para P-16 with optic I tore it up but a full size 1911 with a big honking optic on it is hard to conceal. Then I see all these reflex sights. So me being the cheap ass I am ended up with a Vortex as I own several of their Razor high end scopes and they are fantastic.

Funny thing is I am still accurate with open sights on rifles and sub guns. It is only on short sight radius pistols that I was getting bad at. AR15 at 500 yards open sights no problem. MP-5 on steel at 200 yards no problem. Paper at 10 yards and beyond I still hit but I was all over the place.

I started moving to the reflex sight in November of last year killing my Vortex in 8 sessions, actually it was damaged at 4 sessions and 1,000 rounds but I put up with it. By the time I hit 2,500 rounds or so it shut off on almost every shot, But I was very accurate with it. I sent it in and got a new one and sold it. I thought about trying it again but said screw it and sold it on the old site.

There were a few guys we found bad mouthing RMR's but it was mostly positive. I started deep research on reflex sights even involving some of my security guys at my company who I shoot with every week. They arranged a couple guys to come to us at a private range they used to serve with who were using RMR's in real life and we all took the classes. It was one of the best shooting classes I ever took. That day in April I ordered the first one. Both guys who were teaching us came with a case and between 6-12 pistols each with RMR's on them. I chatted during a break with one and said if they are so good why a case full of them. They explained they may break some day and to have a pre sighted in replacement for it ready to go for every sidearm you carry with a reflex sight. He said they have both had failures in operations with them but they were high round count. We were told once they hit 10K rounds retire it to a practice pistol and carry a lower round count optic. One of the pistols we shot in the class was a Glock19 with a RMR that had endured over 30K rounds, I feel optimistic about my decision today to order 10 RMO6 3.5 and a few new guns to put them on. My confidence is coming back to where if I was ever in a bad situation involving others being harmed that I could take the shot and not miss.

Got more classes after summer scheduled. Dot torture will be one, call the shot will be another to build more accuracy. We are also doing force on force classes with live fire using Simunitions. Should be a fun fall and winter. We have several companies coming in to work with us.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

I will also add there is a learning curve to the reflex sight. Don't think a box of 100 will get you there especially if you go with a smaller dot as it moves more in the window.
Razai

Post by Razai »

Thanks, 338. I have been wanting to go this route for a while but that experience at the Expo killed my self-esteem!
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Still hammering away with the Glock 34 and now I have a RMR on my M&P. Got the backup guns pretty well sighted in and starting to get up to speed on the M&P with the RMR. Glock 34 90 to the head and M&P 90 to the chest. Over 6,000 rounds on the Glock 34 and RMR and not so much as one issue with it. Picking up speed again. I used to shoot with my right arm locked out straight but now have both arms more relaxed and bent and it makes a bid difference keeping the dot in my vision. Also lessens recoil.

43399454392_c763eccad2_k.jpg
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Until posts on this site, I never heard of RMR, I guess I should get out more often. :geek:

Being a 45 guy, and being that S&W doesn't produce a MP45 with the slide cut for a red dot, I went with what I read was most reliable at that moment, Burris Fastfire III with a rear sight replacement mount/adapter. I have had it/shot it for years, but not at the volume, in posts above. No failures of any kind. It now sits in my BO system, because it's little brother (Shield45) is concealable. It has only come out, once a month, for the past couple years, to confirm sight/zero and battery life, so far, so good.

I don't know what a RMR sells for, but, you may want to campare it to a Burris Fastfire III.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

well i bought a canick tpsfx9, and just put a burris fast fire on it, and as of yet have not shot it, but its on my list to do very soon, also picked up a venom to perhaps put on another pistol

only issue i see with my tpfx9 is to have it co witness with front site, so i'm now off to find a taller site for the shooter to see if it assists me in hiting the broad side of the barn, perhaps i would benefit from some fast draw instintive shooting, just saying,
Rj
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Knockonit, just my opinion, but, setting up for co-witnessing with the front sight, kind'a defeats the whole purpose of a red dot sight on a pistol. I have always believed that the evolution to red dot sights was to shorten the time needed to get on target, compared with lining up two sights to get on target. Higher/suppressor sights would be an unnecessary expense, imo.

I have elevated/co-witnessed a front and rear sight so they could be seen through a red dot, but only as backup for a red dot failure.
superdrag67

Post by superdrag67 »

338lapua wrote: June 26th, 2018, 11:56 pm
cjr wrote: June 16th, 2018, 6:51 pm Had a Venom that didn't last 20 rds. Sent it back. They sent back a new one. I then sold it without even trying it. Went with RMR and also Burris fast fire 3. Not one single problem with either one.
I sold my replacement in a sealed box too when I got it. I may buy another one when I convert all my suppressed 22 pistols to a dot soon, I think they can handle that application.
I bought this Venom. It's on my 22/45 Lite and it's been great but of course I wouldn't expect there to be any issues.

The Romeo1 has pretty good reviews so I want to check that out eventually. The shield RMS seems interesting too since you can co-witness with OEM sights but I'm not sure it's all that rugged when compared with the others if you're hard on things.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

and if the red dot goes south, or dead, whats next, throw it at the target, just saying
maybe mabye not
Rj