M&P22c?

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
GunSmoke
ArizonaShooting.org Member

M&P22c?

Post by GunSmoke »

Hey guys, anyone have any experience with the M&P 22 compact? I was considering picking one up while PSA has them on sale as an alternative to all my Ruger 22s. I'd appreciate any thoughts feedback or recommendations from those who have one of these or have shot one.

As a side note, I don't have any other M&P pistols, so there is no trainer value in this for me. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

DuneShoot

Re: M&P22c?

Post by DuneShoot »

I think mine is the full sized version but I like it. Trigger pull is long but decent.
I prefer the Ruger 22/45 Lite with a trigger kit but do enjoy the M&P.
GunSmoke

Post by GunSmoke »

I hear you on that. I have a 22/45 lite with a volquartsen trigger kit as well. Great shooter. However, I more recently picked up a Pac light upper, and now my factory Ruger Lite upper feels like an overweight Pig by comparison.

I think I'll give the M&P a try just for something different. Thanks for your feedback.
thom

Post by thom »

I have a 22c. I use it as a trainer for the 9mm shield. I like it and it's cheaper to practice with than the 9.
Super Trucker

Post by Super Trucker »

I have a M&P 22c, I use it as a critter gun.
It is easy to clean and the triggers are not horrible. Mine is connected to a sparrow most of the time, no issues with that combination as long as you keep it clean.

My biggest complaint with them is they ALL have a mag disconnect and thumb safety (damn lawyers). The mag disconnect can be removed very easily, the thumb safety leaves holes as they do not make plugs for that small gun. Other than those two things they are good little guns.

As a side note, I have let about a half dozen kids (pre teen) shoot it with zero issues.
GunSmoke

Post by GunSmoke »

Have you seen this thread: guy sells 3d printed plugs to replace the safeties.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wess ... -sale.html
GunSmoke

Post by GunSmoke »

Disregard. Looks like all of his links are dead. Bummer, because it looks like what you were looking for to remove the safety lever.
GunSmoke

Post by GunSmoke »

Here are 14 round followers for it.

https://www.taylor-tactical-supply.com/ ... pgrade.htm
Solar_Empire

Post by Solar_Empire »

I have the suppressor ready version. I planed on getting a can for it but lost interest. The thread adapter is a pain in the butt to get off and the slide can't come off the frame unless it's removed. If I had to do it again I would go with the standard one. I'm not a big 22 LR semi auto fan, I like bolt guns and revolvers for my rimfires, but I do enjoy this one. Much handier than the MK series from ruger IMO and everyone who shoots it really likes it. I second the 14 round conversion for the mags.

My uncle is a huge 22 handgun guy. He owned all the current production semi auto offerings from the big names. S&W victory, SR22, Ruger MK III and IV series, Walther, etc. He sold off the rest and bought a few more M&P22s in different frame colors. He thoroughly enjoys them which is what prompted me to pick one up. YMMV.
Super Trucker

Post by Super Trucker »

GunSmoke wrote: March 16th, 2019, 6:45 am Disregard. Looks like all of his links are dead. Bummer, because it looks like what you were looking for to remove the safety lever.
Not sure how I missed this post. Thanks for the links (even though they didn't work), hopefully somebody else will make them. I would buy a set for sure.
GunSmoke

Post by GunSmoke »

Got a chance to run about 400 suppressed rounds through my 22c on Saturday - not one failure to fire or jam. A few subsonics around the 300 mark would not cycle the slide far enough to load the next round (though they'd eject). I sprayed it with some oil and even those went back to proper function. I reran all of the thunderbolts that did not fire in the 22/45 in the 22c, all fired. Great functioning little gun.

Downsides: compared to my tuned triggers in my 22/45, the 22c is not near as good, and as a result, my aim suffered. As I got used to the trigger, aim improved, but I never got to the level of accuracy I had out of the ruger (though a lot more reliability!). Overall, this gun is a keeper.