OK,... I feel an itch coming on

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
shooter444
ArizonaShooting.org Member

OK,... I feel an itch coming on

Post by shooter444 »

I have playing around with some light reloaded 45 super in my MP45, and I am starting to lean towards going a little further with a revolver.

So,... does anyone own, or have experience with the Ruger 25acp/45 colt Redhawk, or, the 45acp/45colt Blackhawk, revolvers? The newer models that use Ruger moon clips, instead of a second cylinder.

I would really like some first hand experience feed back before I do something about scratching the itch, I have coming on! 8-)

TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Re: OK,... I feel an itch coming on

Post by TheAccountant »

Both models are good for "Ruger only" loads in 45 Colt, so a 45 super isn't going to hurt it. With that being said, there's no reason not to shoot a hot 45 Colt in one of those revolvers. If you're dead set on 45 Super, get yourself a HK USP 45.

Just FYI - the new model Vaqueros are not built as stout as the old model and should be shot with cowboy loads of 45 Colt or standard 45ACP only.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Thanks Accountant.

I am not all that interested in consistently shooting hot 45 colt ammo anymore,... at least not hot enough to hurt a single action, even a new model vaquero.

Not interested in any HK tac,... as I posted, I am more than happy with 45 super in my S&W MP45.

I was posting in hope of getting some first hand opinions by owners, current and past. The release of these combo specific 45acp/45colt Ruger revolvers, seemed to have been surrounded by functional failures,... and I was hoping to find out if things have changed for the better.

EDIT,... this may be a good time to add the S&W 625 in 45acp and the Ruger GP100 in 45acp, to my info request! Anyone have one they can comment on?
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

You know, everytime I'd gotten a Ruger combo caliber revolver in the past its always been fine for me. However, a coulpe of years ago, I bought a new Ruger Redhawk chambered for both 45 ACP and 45 Colt. I'd been all excited about these Redhawks ever since they first came out. So much so that I bought one new (its rare for me to buy new guns anymore) but sometimes you have to go new on recent models.

Anyway, it didn't work out so well as I always had some misfires when shooting 45 ACP regardless of the ammo used. I think it was something with the headspacing and the moon clips for 45 ACP that you have to use because in their single action revolvers with 2 calibers they use dual cylinders. With the double action Redhawk they use the same cylinder to shoot both the rimmed 45 Long Colt and the rimless 45 ACP.

After my disappointment and let down I sold off my Redhawk and moved on. I never tried sending it back to Ruger to see if it could be rectified. Now maybe the new ones are better---I don't know as I haven't been following the issue. However, I still think if you want to shoot 2 calibers in a revolver its best to have a separate cylinder like with the Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt fitted with an extra 45 ACP cylinder.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

brandyspaw ,... thanks for confirming the majority of my research.

I read that the part of the frame, where the hammer strikes, is rather roughly milled on some pieces, causing the light strikes as you mentioned and that a little honing solved the prob for some guys.

I am NOT really interested in a duel caliber revo,... I am only wanting one that I can shoot the 45 Super hand loads I am developing for my MP45. I am thinking I could load up to max with a revo, rather than the middle of the road loads I am currently developing.

I really wish I could find a Ruger GP100 in 45acp,... but, if wishes were cows, we all would be in deep s***!
Last edited by shooter444 on March 11th, 2019, 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

Well, since you're not really looking for a dual caliber revolver you'd just need something that's heavy enough to handle your 45 Super loads. While I still have a few Ruger single action Blackhawks I'm actually much more a S&W revolver fan where double action revolvers are concerned.

I'm into the older Smiths but if you don't mind the internal lock, then one of the newer Model 625's in 45 ACP, would handle those 45 Supers loads quite nicely and would have a better action than the Ruger DA revolvers. A Model 625 in a 3", 4" or even a 5" barrel would be a handy little tool to have
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Agreed,... A S&W 625 3 or 4 inch 625PC would be a wish come true!!!

I have a Smith & Wesson 325PD, but I fear the frame may not withstand too much battering, even at medium level 45Super loads. But, it sure is a nice carry piece!!!