Magazines

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Magazines

Post by Ranger1 »

How many magazines are to many?
So you have a gun or guns. How many magazines would you have for each one?

Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Magazines

Post by Suck My Glock »

No such thing.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

The one I have the least for is an LCP, at 1. However, I have 3 of the pistol. So, is that 2 backup mags? :lol:
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

XJThrottle wrote: February 28th, 2019, 8:25 am The one I have the least for is an LCP, at 1. However, I have 3 of the pistol. So, is that 2 backup mags? :lol:
I like the way you think! and you are all set up for the famous NY reload.

To answer the OP .. I only have handguns and I usually feel more than fine with 3 mags per.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

I have 60 Pmags. I've used the same 5 Pmags for years...never touched the other ones.
5 mags for my G34. 4 are regularly used in competition, one for backup in case one fails.
4 mags for Ruger 22/45 Mk4. That's just how many the soft gun case will hold.

It depends on the gun, too. I wouldn't be happy with just one mag for any gun.
AZ Husker

Post by AZ Husker »

I keep three tested and well maintained top quality mags for each of my carry guns. These go with me daily. Then I have boxes of others for range use and fun time. I also keep a large stash of new but loaded mags for my AR handy, call it prepared or paranoid, I don't care.
62Grains

Post by 62Grains »

Depends on the guns really. I have a few hundred loaded AR Pmags and some drums and those surefire mags, probably 40 or 50 for the Glock 9mms, 10 or so for my MPX and my FNX45, 7 or so for my HK94, and probably half a dozen or so for each of my other firearms. I only have one for my Tikka though. A lot has to do with the price and availability of the mags. I kind of keep an eye out for used mags and try to scoop them up when they are a good price. Usually from someone that sold a gun and didnt include their extra mags in the deal. I would probably be happy with 10 mags on the other guns I have.
Dat_Ginga

Post by Dat_Ginga »

I have too many AR mags to count but when you can pick up magpul mags and Surefeed or Okay Industries mags for cheap here and there they start to add up. I only use a few of them but I buy some every once in awhile. I have around 30 or so 17 round Glock magazines because they just add up over time too. I use between 4 and 6 at the local matches every week/weekend and the rest are either in a magazine bin or loaded in the car, backpack or wherever else. I have about half as many 15 rounders for the Glock 19 and they all serve the same purpose and only a few Glock 26 magazines.

When ordering items online I like to add on what I call a "magazine tax" meaning if I haven't hit the minimum purchase amount for free shipping or whatever deal they are offering I will add a magazine or two on the order and eventually magazines just start adding up. I also like to have at least one replacement magazine in my range bag per magazine I use at matches. At any given time I have anywhere between 8-12 magazines both on my person or in the range bag during a match. I can loan them out or use a different one if a magazine is giving me troubles.

I like to think that you can never have too many magazines. In reality I know that I won't use that many magazines for any real emergency but over time when springs and magazines just begin to wear out it's nice to have some on hand and ready to be used without having to go search for them. It's also nice to have more in case you loan some to friends during matches or just out on a day shooting. Also the firearms I use don't require expensive magazines. I can buy AR mags from $10-15 on average and Glock magazines on sale for around $20 up to about $30 and even cheaper magazines from Magpul and ETS. I can buy my magazines for my CZ Shadow 2 for around $25-30 so in reality just buying a magazine here and there or adding one onto an order they eventually just add up.
RJS

Post by RJS »

10 mags for each gun is a good starting point.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

Ranger1 wrote: February 27th, 2019, 8:01 pm How many magazines are to many?
So you have a gun or guns. How many magazines would you have for each one?
If you have 2 or 3 different weapons that take the same mag that's good. That's a lot of the same magazines not a lot of different magazines. Like a AR 9 with glock lower, g17 and a g17. They can run the same magazines. Ar15 in 556 and 300 blk.out take the same. For the glock mag I would try to have 50 to 80. For the AR between 100 and 250. AR10 in m1a mag or the magpul mag around 40. FNFAL inch or metric 40. I guess when it comes down to it, it will be what ever you feel comfortable with.
Super Trucker

Post by Super Trucker »

A good starting point is 12.
You have 3 that are only used for carry, 5 used for classes, and 4 for range use. Add more as needed.

I can't tell you how many classes I have been to where mags are dropped into the mud, snow, sand etc then the person uses those mags to load carry ammo into for the ride home, same thing for range use. They get dirty and the hell beat out of them, why use them for carry, I'll never understand.