Help finding gp100 crunch

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Help finding gp100 crunch

Post by Boriqua »

I somewhat recently bought a GP100 w a 6" barrel. I have had GP100 with a 3" barrel for a few years and is one of my very favorite guns. If you are a Ruger guy then you know that they come out of the factory in different states of finished.
My 6" was basically devoid of oil and the cylinder creaked like hell. I fixed that and did a light polish on the internals based on a youtube vid being careful not to touch the single action. I also installed a 10# hammer and Trigger spring.

The trigger feels very nice when pulling but if you let it out slowly it is gritty as hell. I checked and there is no such thing on my 3" but ... I only have maybe 150 rds through my 6" and probably 500 or so through the 3".

So if you have messed with your Ruger I am looking for advice. I think its one of two things ..
1. The hammer strut was a bit gnarly along the edges. It appears to be a stamped piece and the 4 corners are a fair bit rough. When I had it apart I hit it some with a buffing wheel and rouge but I think I may have to be more aggressive to take the sharp edges down. I think when the spring is decompressing slowly its catching the rough edges??

or

2. I keep reading about shims. I have the 2 Rugers I have and had one other and none had shims and all shot more than fine .. but .. could shims answer the crunch?

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

smithers599

Re: Help finding gp100 crunch

Post by smithers599 »

Pull it apart and look at the trigger return spring. Look to see if there is any grit or metal dust in the channel.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

smithers599 wrote: February 25th, 2019, 2:39 pm Pull it apart and look at the trigger return spring. Look to see if there is any grit or metal dust in the channel.
Thank you brother that was it!! The hammer spring doesnt actually decompress on the trigger release .. DOh.

I put a brass cleaning brush on a drill and ran it in the trigger spring channel and then a swab on a drill and finally cleaned the channel with solvent and a q tip and good to go.

Off in an hour to give it some love.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Took the big boy out today and that little extra smooth really was very nice. I was killing it at 26 yds!