Daniel Defense MK18 pistol

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
AstonMiura
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Daniel Defense MK18 pistol

Post by AstonMiura »

I was thinking about picking one of these up. All the reviews look good. The only question I have is the pro and cons with the Law Tactical folder. Is the folder reliable and worth the extra money?

QuietM4

Re: Daniel Defense MK18 pistol

Post by QuietM4 »

Save yourself about $1,000 and just build a clone. Nothing special about a DD except for their ability to convince you they are special.

As for the LAW folder, they are legit. Worth it? Not unless it needs to fit in a backpack.

AR’s are take down anyways...they have 2 takedown pins.
DRTDIVR

Post by DRTDIVR »

I can understand the post by QuietM4 but building isn't for everyone and clones from mixed parts are prone to failure.

Not much out there rivals Daniel Defense for their quality of components and build level. I've owned a lot of brands and I always lean toward my Daniel's when it's time to actually run a rifle hard(classes for example) I love my MK18.

As for a LAW tactical folder, many people will argue about how great theirs is but it doesn't belong on a work gun you plan to actually run hard.

With a little practice it takes a minimal amount of time and it isn't hard to snap 2 pins together.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

I agree that DD has a great build quality. So does Knights Armament, LMT, LWRC, H&K, etc.

I have personally witnessed during courses and training;

DD MK18 shear a bolt lug, LMT gas block come loose and rotate off the gas port, H&K lowers crack between the trigger pins, LWRC full auto guns fail in multiple ways, and a KAC trigger group hammer snap in two.

All theses failures happened around Bushmasters, DPMS, and home built AR's that cost a fraction of the price and performed flawlessly.

Here's my point; price point does not always equal quality.

By all means, treat yo' self and get a true DD MK18; they are great guns. But, building an AR isn't difficult. Or, head online and find the assembled upper that resembles the MK18, and find an assembled lower...attach the two.

I was just looking at Palmetto State Armory (usually a great place for inexpensive yet good parts), and you can build an MK18-like 10.5" pistol for less than $700.
Last edited by QuietM4 on January 9th, 2019, 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AstonMiura

Post by AstonMiura »

Thank for the information opinions. If and when I build or buy the law folder will not be part of it. Thanks again
Arplatform
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Arplatform »

I am just finishing a build with spikes lower and PSA 10.5 upper just as stated above. All in I will be under $800 including a nice holosun red dot. Trust me I would have gone DD, Noveske etc. But I just can't afford the big names. Enjoy either way you go!
i303

Post by i303 »

I've done a couple of Mk18 type builds. There is a huge difference between the cheap ones and DD. DD is over priced but the barrel and they components are top notch. And I had one cheapo build I helped with someone KB. We don't know the root cause because someone else was shooting it at the time. But yeah, that barrel was crap.