The new FN 509 Tactical

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Firewhenready7
ArizonaShooting.org Member

The new FN 509 Tactical

Post by Firewhenready7 »

Been reading on the new FN 509 Tactical. Has anyone out the shot one or know someone who has?
Just wondered if they were all that and a cookie. How about the trigger? Same old factory junk you have to replace or is it good out of the box?

Thanks

338lapua

Re: The new FN 509 Tactical

Post by 338lapua »

Shot one about a month ago, tool instructor at a class had one. He was a real FN fanboy to say the least, had to make sure everyone shot it. He didn't like my it's just like any other hammer made by any other hammer company, they all pound nails comment. Shot similar to what my M&P with a RMR shoots, all rounds right where the dot was. Nice shooter but I would want a Apex trigger in it set at 3 pounds or less if I bought one. It hurts my hands shooting it just like all the other polymer guns do but a little more due to the texture on the grip. I did shoot a magazine on another one with iron sights and it shoots accuracy wise like all the rest, not really going to do much more than any other pistol. The extended 24 round mag adds a little extra weight until you empty it down to 17 and helped with recoil just a little.

It is a nice pistol but the trigger is too heavy and long for my tastes as my carry guns are all under 3 pounds. The price on it though I think is a little high for what it is. Replaceable rails, seriously who the hell has ever ran a polymer pistol so much they wore the rails out, usually the frame will crack before the rails wear out, nice that you can order replacements but I'm sure they added a few bucks for that. Nice soft case with it but that will fall apart just the the case Sig puts out. I did like it over the SIg offering that they got the military to accept.

Overall nice pistol, I will add one to the collection and put a after market trigger/RMR on it. I felt no urgent need to replace my M&P or my Glocks as my carry gun because it was so far superior, it is just their offering in a polymer framed pistol. It comes down to personal taste really and what do you like. They all pound nails, just pick your version of the hammer.