Revolvers - Any wheelgun fans still out there

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
backcountry
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Revolvers - Any wheelgun fans still out there

Post by backcountry »

Can someone help me?

I just got back on here and don't see much in the way of revolvers. Lots of bottom feeders and self defense aficionados.

I'm on the quest for a United Sporting Arms Abilene, Seville, or EL Dorado. Sig Himmelman down in Tucson made them during the late 70's and early 80's.
I also enjoy any 357 Maximum (Super Mag). They will get my attention and dollars. I love handloading lots of powders with lots of different bullets.

I shoot mostly silhouette type gongs and bells out past 100 yards plus. Long barrels are my lust. At 70, my old eyes like that long sight picture. A few now carry scopes as well.

Are there any LGS/pawn shops in Phoenix that have a few revolvers?
Who comes to SAR that might have wheelguns?

Do any of you guys see yourselves as primarily revolver fans? Where are the threads on this board?

Boriqua

Re: Revolvers - Any wheelgun fans still out there

Post by Boriqua »

My babies!

The 6" is fairly new but the 3" I have had for a few years and is one of my favorite handguns EVER. Carries as easily as a glock 19 in an OWB pancake and is stone accurate and easy to shot well.

I have since taken the wood grips off of the 6" and went back to the stock hogue monogrip. I am hoping to get the hogue G10 for it but to balance out the extra weight out front I found it needed more grip than the small wood ones I had around.

I have been feeding them mostly hand rolled 38+p but I also set up some.357 with 125gn Sierra HP with 8.5gr of longshot and its a nice stout round but my favorite hand rolled .357 at the moment has to be the 158gr Sierra jhc with 7.8gr of longshot. I dont hunt so its all for paper punching.

For carry in the 3" I have been using 125 gr Rem HTP

I visited a couple of LGS before I bought the 6" but .. I wasnt finding anything that was remotely a bargain. Most places were charging new prices on used guns.
Last edited by Boriqua on November 14th, 2018, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

I am a revo kinda guy! I have been down sizing for the past decade, but, I still have four wheel guns, with no hesitation to pick up one that strikes my fancy!

In fact, for local carry, I am swapping out my daily S&W Shield45 to a Uberti 1873 45colt clone.

If you want posts, pertaining to such,... do as you just did, and start a post,.. simple as that!

:dance:
DuneShoot

Post by DuneShoot »

Within the last year or so I have been getting into revolvers.
I prefer shooting them in double action except the 460.
Most of mine have action work to make them lighter & smoother.

Would like a 4" 629 next.

This is from this morning:
DrEarlCordova

Post by DrEarlCordova »

backcountry wrote: November 14th, 2018, 8:57 am .......Are there any LGS/pawn shops in Phoenix that have a few revolvers? .....
I haven't been there in a few years, but Legendary Guns had a lot of them.
needsmostuff

Post by needsmostuff »

Never one to put the damps on another's dream but I would question making a quest of Abilene, Seville and the EL Dorados. I've had an Abilene and a couple of Sevilles (never even seen or laid hands on an El Dorado) and yes they were fine guns .You bet, they made some just for the silhouette crowd. Never very common and last made 40 years ago guns and parts are hard to come by now. Some were made in Tucson ,some in Bisbee some in Tombstone and several other places. Always on the verge of being broke it seems. Nowadays something breaks you have a big ole paperweight. I switched to Rugers and never looked back . They feel like the same gun, come in more calibers more variations and parts are common as dirt.
Sure , if I stumbled into one of the odd ones at a fair price I would consider it , but I would not waste time searching for one ,,,,when I could be shooting Rugers.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

I have to agree with the above statement.
I have some United Sporting Arms and don't even shoot them any more for that reason there.
Then again I have no problem with taking one of my Rugers out and shooting it.
samnev

Post by samnev »

I regularly shoot my S&W models 29-2, 27-2 and 19-2. :D
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

I just recently got into a Colt Clone. Did a lot of research, and agree with the opinions stated about the Abilene, Seville and the EL Dorados,... the company did real good in the beginning, then the owners split up and production/QC seemed to fall apart, imo.

I have been a Ruger guy for many decades. My first SA was a Black Hawk in 44mag. I remember casting bullets over a wood fire in the backwoods of Maine, to go hunting with.

But, I got a Uberti 1873, when I wanted a Colt Clone. I think Ruger's new Vaqueros come a lot closer to an original, than their early heavy models, but with the lack of the nice four click cocking and the added modern safety features, I had to pass on Ruger this time. I've had both, but sold off when I went modern awhile ago, and now I am reversing that direction.

If one wishes to "HUNT WITH",... RUGER is the one,... HANDS DOWN for me!!! Which is why I have a Redhawk,... but with one eye open looking for a S&W 460. 8-)

:clap: Nice 460 revo,... DoonShoot!! :clap:

The Uberti 1873, in my opinion, truly feels like a nice 1800's piece, to me. I started with their "OLD FRAME / BLACK POWDER FRAME" model and I am currently looking for another. But I will admit, I am only using it with hand loaded/cut down 444 cases / snake loads, some cast round ball vermin loads,... and some heavy, but slow, cast lead slugs, when carried in town.
Last edited by shooter444 on December 4th, 2018, 12:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
backcountry

Post by backcountry »

I have pieces to shoot. I'm just trying to assauge my lust for steel. It's the kind of thing that will be with me always.

NICE responses.

We got some photos.
We got some handload recipes.
We read about the GP100, the SP101, the Uberti 1873, what I think are S&W's, the S&W 27, 29 and 19, and Blackhawk.

No body had any good news on LGS with revolvers. Either the prices were too steep or the inventory didn't exist. I'll try Legendary Guns.

Two of you recognized United Sporting Arms. You knew the lack of replacement parts issue.
Needsmostuff knows the history of that company. I have been very lucky with my USA acquisitions and gotten some beauties (45 Colt, 357 Mag, 357 Maximum, 44 Mag). I will be broken hearted when I break one, but I love shooting them too much. I have a Silhouette model in 357 Maximum that is as nice a shooter as anything I own. I never mind it when folks don't like/purchase them. They are damn hard to find and the prices are going skyward this last year. $1800 on Gunbroker.

I have a little bit of everything in revolvers, both DA and SA. Colts, Smith & Wessons, Rugers, ...
I just picked up a Ruger Buckeye in 32-20 and a spare cylinder in 32 H&R mag from an excellent gentleman many of you know in Bullhead City, Toroflow. The 32's were mostly too weak for me. The 327 Fed Mag and the 32-20 will push 130gr out past 1400fps. Now I might be able to knock down some steel with that.

For the Ruger guys, I have a Ruger Hunter in 45Colt that is the easiest hawgleg made to scope. Accuracy is outstanding and you can shoot Tier 2 loads that sizzle.

What kind of shooting do you do with your revolvers?
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Lol .. Well I am glad you approve of the thread! :)

I have been known to make a revolver holster or 2 but unfortunately my own wheel gun is riding in a freagin Fobus. Maybe one day I can have nice leather too.

Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

and I have done some that are a little less traditional

686 holster

Model 10 pair

Sp101

I admit though .. I have a bit more fun doing the cowboy stuff.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

My, my, my,... seems like revo's aren't as much a dead issue as some may believe!!!

:whistle:
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

[quote=Boriqua post_id=12849 time=1542307807 user_id=413]
and I have done some that are a little less traditional

686 holster

Do you stuff for autos too?
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Hey Brandon
I have some sampling of the stuff I do at
www.boriqualeather.com

But I don't use machines or have people. I do everything by hand so I am little old and slow.