Glock vs The World

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
mike400
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Glock vs The World

Post by mike400 »

I am a Glock guy all the way but I do like to try other stuff. VP9, FN, CZ, but I always come back to Glock!!

GringoLoco

Post by GringoLoco »

I used to hate Glocks! It drove me nuts when people that didn’t know anything about guns called every gun a Glock. I associated Glocks with west coast rap and wanted nothing to do with them! That was until a friend needed some cash and sold me his Glock 19 Gen2. At the time, I had a SIG P228, an HK USP Compact, and a few Makarovs. The day I took them all to the range and compared them side by side was the day I realized what all the fuss was about. Soon after that I only owned one handgun and that was the G19. Like a fool, I sold it and upgraded to a Gen3. I like the Gen3 but there’s something about the Gen2. Ironically, I recently sold the Gen3 and bought a 92FS. Grew up watching John McClane merc out fools left and right with one, they are just plain sexy, and man do they feel good in your hand! So, in closing, I love the Glock 19 but I love the 92FS a little more. Why not own both you may ask? Cause I want to be proficient with one and I can only shoot one at a time.
DHG388
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by DHG388 »

I would bet my life on a Glock but with that being said, I am not a fan.
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

I also went to 9mm Glocks a few years ago but I also use some older German SIG's for serious uses.

However, I couldn't bring myself to part with other calibers like my 45's. In particular, I really enjoy my 1911's but those kind of guns are relegated to just being range toys like my revolvers these days.
schiffer99

Post by schiffer99 »

I fought it for a long time... probably because I did not care for a glock 22 with a 9lb trigger when I was in the police academy (nasty recoil)... but now I am all 9mm glocks. Tried 1911's, sigs, H&K (may have stuck with a 9mm p2000 LEM, but screw H&K mag prices). After all that finally came around and decided to stop being a contrarion. 9mm glocks just work. With a 3/32 punch and a youtube account you are your own armorer. Plentiful cheap parts, mags and accessories. I even recently got a sight pusher... which by the way going to a u-notch rear sight and high viz front entirely changes the shootability of glocks for the better.

Also somehow just ended up all gen 5`s: G34, G19, G19x, G43. All now with Ameriglo sights. Probably pickup a G26 at some point.
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

schiffer99 wrote: May 20th, 2018, 8:42 pm I fought it for a long time... probably because I did not care for a glock 22 with a 9lb trigger when I was in the police academy (nasty recoil)... but now I am all 9mm glocks. Tried 1911's, sigs, H&K (may have stuck with a 9mm p2000 LEM, but screw H&K mag prices). After all that finally came around and decided to stop being a contrarion. 9mm glocks just work. With a 3/32 punch and a youtube account you are your own armorer. Plentiful cheap parts, mags and accessories. I even recently got a sight pusher... which by the way going to a u-notch rear sight and high viz front entirely changes the shootability of glocks for the better.

Also somehow just ended up all gen 5`s: G34, G19, G19x, G43. All now with Ameriglo sights. Probably pickup a G26 at some point.
I hear that about the 40 cal Glocks.
The first Glock I ever had was in 40 cal. I hated it's hand slap recoil and issues with the chamber. I sold it and swore off Glocks. 7 or 8 years later Hobbs let me shoot one of his Glocks he had modified in 9mm and I was hooked. It was a soft shooter like shooting 38 spl loads in a bull barrel 357. If I never had shot that gun I would still have 1911s and S&W autos. Now its all Glock 9mm all the time except the shield I mentioned earlier.

They just work.
coltnut

Post by coltnut »

In the 9mm world ive gone in circles right back to the G17 & G19,currently Gen 5.
I like the Gen 5 better than my Gen 4,fits my hands better.Smoother trigger,shorter reset.
Kids really liked the Gen5 also better.
Manitu

Post by Manitu »

First gun was g26 years passed as did g19 gills, no gills, grip reductions, trigger gizmos and lots of spare parts stashed away great gun. M&P with the Apex kit is the one I shoot most comfortably and most.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Reading all the posts above, I have to wonder how many Glock guys have actually shot a H&K, S&W, FN,or Steyr, for an educated comparison before choosing. Granted, I couldn't get past just holding a Glock, but, at least I held one before deciding.
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

shooter444 wrote: May 23rd, 2018, 10:03 am Reading all the posts above, I have to wonder how many Glock guys have actually shot a H&K, S&W, FN,or Steyr, for an educated comparison before choosing.
Reading the posts above, nearly all them.
lew

Post by lew »

I carry a G19, my wife a G26, and my brother a G29. I have my eye on a G20 or G40. :D

I've shot SIGs (226, 229, 226 Legion), HK USPs and a VP9, CZs, XDs, and a bunch of 1911s. Glocks fit me well and they always work. I do carry my Hi Power on occasion, though.
azdover

Post by azdover »

I have a couple of other semi autos - 1911s, Sig P226, and CZ75s. Most are 9MM. But I almost always seem to grab my Gen 3 G19 for EDC. An added bonus is mag compatibility with my 9MM pistol caliber carbines.

Tried a couple of aftermarket triggers and minus connectors, and although they made the trigger pull a little lighter and reset shorter, they also made it feel mushy. Went back to the stock trigger and connector. I did make a few mods to the frame for comfort. I rounded the trigger guard, undercut the trigger guard to get rid of the dreaded Glock knuckle, removed the finger grooves from the front of the grip, and added the Grip Force small beaver tail to stop the slide bite. Since I'm probably one white cane and a seeing eye dog away from being legally blind, I also added a set of Truglo TFO sights which really helped.

In the last 10 years and I don't know how many thousands of rounds, the only problems I've had with it is an occasional last round failure to lock back or a case in the face. But that was only with cheap gun show reloads which I have since quit using. As long as I run factory ammo, even Winchester white box, the gun runs like a champ.

Pete
cjr

Post by cjr »

To me holding a Glock and a 2x4 feel the same. M&P or CZ are my go to 9mm.
musicman10_1

Post by musicman10_1 »

Simply put, I'm a Glock guy. I enjoy other pistols and am attracted to 1911s but I shoot my Glocks the most and I shoot them better than my others too.
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

I forgot to mention that I'd ignored Glocks at first and I should have stated the reason in my first post. When azdover posted his pic it reminded me of the reason I finally got into Glocks about a decade or so ago. I had never liked the Glock's grip angle so I never used Glocks all that much until someone introduced me to the Grip Force Adapters for Glocks.

When I tried a G19 with one it filled the void in the grip helping the gun feel more like the 1911's I've used for so long. They're not as comfortable as a lot of guns but with the Grip Force they at least make the gun usable for me. Coupled with their reliability, cheap mags and huge parts accessibility it makes them worthwhile.