What's wrong with grip safeties ?

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
geezer
New to ArizonaShooting.org

What's wrong with grip safeties ?

Post by geezer »

Had em on Springfield XD's, 1911's, with no downsides that I could determine, so why aren't they more common ?

kenpoprofessor
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: What's wrong with grip safeties ?

Post by kenpoprofessor »

For me, I'm a CQC guy, and it's an impediment to bang. If you're in any sort of struggle in close quarters, and have a hard time drawing your weapon, or retaining it, that grip safety may be the cause of your death. I disabled the grip safety on my XD, with a friggin' dremel, love the gun now. Glock produced a handgun that is satisfactory for CQC, even if you don't have full retention or grip, it'll still get at least one bang. Same thing for the Shield Plus I normally carry. Otherwise, there's nothing whatsoever wrong with them, in fact, the XDs are excellent for teaching new shooters to properly grip the weapon. If you're just target shooting or need to use it at more than a couple of yards, you're also fine, but, that may not be the situation.

I have the same disdain for external safeties and magazine disconnects for similar reasons. Mind you, I carry a blade on the other side of my appendix carry, I can draw with either hand. My pistol may not be the most effective weapon in that range because I can't determine exactly where the barrel is pointed, but I know where blade is. That being said, I own guns with those attributes, and I've disabled the mag disconnects on most of them. They will never be carried by me.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
Last edited by kenpoprofessor on April 12th, 2024, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteDragon

Post by WhiteDragon »

What Clyde and I'll add that my grip is so high on the tang that I tend to push the beaver tail safeties upwards and sometimes the safety. I rarely carry 1911 (in 9mm) for that reason. Love the platform, they're elegant weapons and great for teaching basics, but not for my carry.
Attachments
20231228_133749.jpg
blasternaz

Post by blasternaz »

Old Browning1903/10's used to come with a pin to deactivate the grip safety. wish I could find one for mine. Silly bugger needs a lower grip then I've spent over 60 years developing....
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Couple months ago, we had a stage that required transfer to weak hand. Guy with XD did not get a solid grip on the transfer and was unable to fire his pistol.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

smithers599 wrote: April 12th, 2024, 7:14 pm Couple months ago, we had a stage that required transfer to weak hand. Guy with XD did not get a solid grip on the transfer and was unable to fire his pistol.

And proves exactly what I was writing about. Thank you.

Clyde
Noshoot

Post by Noshoot »

WhiteDragon wrote: April 12th, 2024, 6:08 pm What Clyde and I'll add that my grip is so high on the tang that I tend to push the beaver tail safeties upwards and sometimes the safety. I rarely carry 1911 (in 9mm) for that reason. Love the platform, they're elegant weapons and great for teaching basics, but not for my carry.
Looks exactly like my grip, and I have the same issues.
I only use 1911’s for shooting comp now, and do the shock buffer pinning trick to keep my GS depressed.

For carry it’s a BHP, M&P, Shield, or Glock.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Noshoot wrote: April 12th, 2024, 8:26 pm

Looks exactly like my grip, and I have the same issues.
I only use 1911’s for shooting comp now, and do the shock buffer pinning trick to keep my GS depressed.

For carry it’s a BHP, M&P, Shield, or Glock.
I tell folks, especially 1911 FUDDs, if a grip safety makes you feel safe, it's because you're an idiot taking chances with your life, kinda like carrying without a round in the tube.

Clyde
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

WhiteDragon wrote: April 12th, 2024, 6:08 pm What Clyde and I'll add that my grip is so high on the tang that I tend to push the beaver tail safeties upwards and sometimes the safety. I rarely carry 1911 (in 9mm) for that reason. Love the platform, they're elegant weapons and great for teaching basics, but not for my carry.
Yep, we've had this conversation a few times. :mrgreen:

Clyde
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

I don't think there is anything wrong with them if it's used for plinking etc. For self defense however, what's wrong is there is one more thing that could go wrong.

I personally don't like handguns with a safety if it is for self defense. The only handgun I have with a safety is a .22 and for those that can only handle or afford a .22 they make some without a safety these days.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

campinginaz wrote: April 13th, 2024, 7:41 am I don't think there is anything wrong with them if it's used for plinking etc. For self defense however, what's wrong is there is one more thing that could go wrong.

I personally don't like handguns with a safety if it is for self defense. The only handgun I have with a safety is a .22 and for those that can only handle or afford a .22 they make some without a safety these days.
As I have explained earlier, an impediment to bang. They're great for target shooting or even teaching new folks, but for SD, I nope out unless I'm in a situation where I don't have a choice.

Clyde
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

all you pudd wanking fools whine about a grip safety, if you'd not waste yer grip on the wrong tool, yad get it right
glad to explain issue, Rj
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

knockonit wrote: April 13th, 2024, 11:02 am all you pudd wanking fools whine about a grip safety, if you'd not waste yer grip on the wrong tool, yad get it right
glad to explain issue, Rj
It's the reason I have such a good grip on my pistol, lots of practice :mrgreen:

Clyde
geezer

Post by geezer »

These kinds of logical explanations are appreciated; I especially can relate to the concept of a student using a grip-safety to test grip technique.
Even after 82 yrs , there's always more to learn
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

geezer wrote: April 14th, 2024, 1:16 pm These kinds of logical explanations are appreciated; I especially can relate to the concept of a student using a grip-safety to test grip technique.
Even after 82 yrs , there's always more to learn
My first introduction of owning a gun with a grip safety was an XD SC40 I bought from a former member on the other board about 16 years ago. I'd heard all the stories, and my world collapsed when i found out what the grip safety "allows" you to do, and not do. For instance, just cycling the gun as I normally did, I found the grip safety had to be fully engaged to do so. Well, that put me right off. My grandfather was a WW2 vet and had his trusty Colt when I was a kid, so, I thought that'd be cool to have a new gun like his. I shot it a few times and put it away for many years. Then one day a few months back, I decided I really liked that gun over the same sized frame Glock had, 26/27, so, I researched how that grip safety worked on Youtube. 10 minutes later I had it apart, dremeled, and put back together without that annoying thing. It's now in a possible carry rotation now that I've got a proper holster for it.

Clyde