9X25 Dillon

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
BigNate
ArizonaShooting.org Member

9X25 Dillon

Post by BigNate »

Has anyone here built / owned / reloaded for the 9X25 Dillon?

I just saw one in another gun forum - and my "more is better" brain tells me that I need to build a pistol - and a PCC - in that caliber... :twisted:

Other than it being a wildcat... what is the downside? No - I won't be adapting a Glock 29sf... It would be something in a full frame size - and likely compensated.

Suck My Glock

Re: 9X25 Dillon

Post by Suck My Glock »

I always wanted to too, but never pulled the trigger.

I imagine there ought to be some folks over on the Brian Enos forum who would have the answers. Rob Leatham was sponsored by Dillon back when the cartridge was devised and he was the first to use it in competition. It might have been secret squirrel information at that time (over 30 years ago) but I'm sure there are no mysteries now.

As I recall, he was originally pushing a little lightweight 88grn. Remington .380 JHP at nearly 2200fps!!!! Der loudenboomer krackenflasher!!!! Holy fireballs, Batman!!
Intel6

Post by Intel6 »

I have a 9x25 barrel for my long slide G20. Fun to shoot, get some nice velocities, I mainly shoot 115 gr bullets. Dies are made by Dillon and are carbide and expensive for dies. Brass is easy to form from 10 mm and bullet choice can be limited due to seating length needed and the short neck. I have considered getting a barrel chambered in it fitted to one of my STI .40 limited guns.

This was made specifically for competition in USPSA and there were STI race guns built in the caliber. Then most found it didn't give much more than shooting regular .38 Super and you got more rounds in the mag with super so they moved on.

Only way I would shoot this in a PCC would be in a locking bolt gas gun. If you pushed this in a regular blowback PCC you would not get much performance from it before you had premature bolt opening problems.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Suck My Glock wrote: March 26th, 2024, 12:44 pm As I recall, he was originally pushing a little lightweight 88grn. Remington .380 JHP at nearly 2200fps!!!! Der loudenboomer krackenflasher!!!! Holy fireballs, Batman!!
The one that got my attention was some data showing a 147gr bullet at about 1500fps... :-)

Intel6 wrote: March 27th, 2024, 8:05 am I have a 9x25 barrel for my long slide G20. Fun to shoot, get some nice velocities, I mainly shoot 115 gr bullets. Dies are made by Dillon and are carbide and expensive for dies. Brass is easy to form from 10 mm and bullet choice can be limited due to seating length needed and the short neck. I have considered getting a barrel chambered in it fitted to one of my STI .40 limited guns.

This was made specifically for competition in USPSA and there were STI race guns built in the caliber. Then most found it didn't give much more than shooting regular .38 Super and you got more rounds in the mag with super so they moved on.

Only way I would shoot this in a PCC would be in a locking bolt gas gun. If you pushed this in a regular blowback PCC you would not get much performance from it before you had premature bolt opening problems.
I was reading up on the competition use and heard that the death of the cartridge in that space, came with the reduction in the floor for Major Power factor to something more achievable with .38 Super.

As to the PCC - I guess that is part of what I was thinking... Being able to load for PCC using slower powders capable of driving a gas system and being able to push heavy .356 bullets at carbine velocities.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

BigNate wrote: March 27th, 2024, 10:27 am
Suck My Glock wrote: March 26th, 2024, 12:44 pm As I recall, he was originally pushing a little lightweight 88grn. Remington .380 JHP at nearly 2200fps!!!! Der loudenboomer krackenflasher!!!! Holy fireballs, Batman!!
The one that got my attention was some data showing a 147gr bullet at about 1500fps... :-)

I also recall that the whole point of the cartridge was to push as little mass as fast as possible and with as much exhausting gas as possible. The idea was that with enough venting gas, the more effective the compensator can perform its function. And of course, low mas projectiles produce less recoil. I recall reading that Rob Leatham had to completely re-learn his recoil management when shooting this cartridge because the muzzle would actually climb DOWN rather than up.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Suck My Glock wrote: March 27th, 2024, 12:25 pm
BigNate wrote: March 27th, 2024, 10:27 am

I also recall that the whole point of the cartridge was to push as little mass as fast as possible and with as much exhausting gas as possible. The idea was that with enough venting gas, the more effective the compensator can perform its function. And of course, low mas projectiles produce less recoil. I recall reading that Rob Leatham had to completely re-learn his recoil management when shooting this cartridge because the muzzle would actually climb DOWN rather than up.
The one that I saw when I was clued into this cartridge had a massive compensator on it - figured they might get some real push from it...