2011s

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
G34
ArizonaShooting.org Member

2011s

Post by G34 »

Getting into the 2011s. Looking for other options besides staccato. Since it’s such an investment I know the hands on experience is limited.

Anyone have experience with the Vudoo priest, stealth arms platypus or the masterpiece arms hybrid ?
Thx

Joe_Blacke

Re: 2011s

Post by Joe_Blacke »

How about a Dan Wesson DWX?

I picked one up recently. I like it better than any other 2011 I’ve tried.
mtptwo

Post by mtptwo »

Tisas is much less expensive. Consider them entry level.
DuneShoot

Post by DuneShoot »

Tisas gets great reviews. I have their 9mm 1911 and it's excellent.
Staccato is also awesome.
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

And there is the Springfield Prodigy. I have one - and have put ~2k rounds through it and it has been great. I actually had it out today and put another few hundred through it with a friend. I paid ~1300 for a 5" model last year. Unlike many of the youtube clickbaits - I have had zero issues out of it, and the 4 20rd and 2 26rd mags I have for it.

After ~1.5k rounds I did some upgrades (EGW ignition kit, Atlas trigger / shoe / tool-less guide rod, EGW magwell) and it is pretty slick. I like it, and even after upgrades it was cheaper than quite a few 2011s.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

paulgt2164 wrote: February 20th, 2024, 3:39 pm And there is the Springfield Prodigy. I have one - and have put ~2k rounds through it and it has been great. I actually had it out today and put another few hundred through it with a friend. I paid ~1300 for a 5" model last year. Unlike many of the youtube clickbaits - I have had zero issues out of it, and the 4 20rd and 2 26rd mags I have for it.

After ~1.5k rounds I did some upgrades (EGW ignition kit, Atlas trigger / shoe / tool-less guide rod, EGW magwell) and it is pretty slick. I like it, and even after upgrades it was cheaper than quite a few 2011s.
I picked one up at the Glendale gun show last year for just $1000 and have similarly had no functional issues. My problem, however, is with Springfield Armory's customer support and the aftermarket's lack of options.

From the factory, the Prodigy comes with an RMR mounting plate cover that has just the rear sight but sits in place of the RMR, just providing a continuity of contour and shape for the slide, as well as one that allows for the mounting of the RMR. However, part of the reason I paid significantly under the going price for a Prodigy is because mine was missing the iron sight only plate and came with only the RMR already mounted. I hate RMRs because they are the work of the devil and cause more problems than they solve, so my intention was to pull that sucker off, get replacement iron sight plate from Springfield Armory and find whomever makes tritium sights to fit this model and put those on. But Springfield doesn't list the iron sight plate for sale as a spare part, and refuses to respond to my requests to sell me one. Even worse, NOBODY who manufactures tritium sights list any units designed to fit the Prodigy. I mean WTF?! Seriously?
Last edited by Suck My Glock on February 20th, 2024, 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gatsby
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Gatsby »

Stacatto XC DPO 9mm 816781017539 was about $4,500 but is an absolute masterpiece of craftsmanship. My nephew has one, but I could not bring myself to cough up that much cash.

I briefly had and sold a prodigy and was unimpressed; I had a ton of issues with it. It may be me. I'm a 1911 guy and have been my whole life (Springfield TRP with 40K+), but my son in law and son both had issues with it too.

The Tisas double stack just recently came out and I paid $799 (Tombstone), ordered a couple mags, slapped a brake and red dot on it and I absolutely love it. Only about 1K through it right now, but I've only had it a couple weeks. One thing I appreciate about it is that the rear sight is not on the plate so you can mount a dot and keep the sights, which is important to me. I'm trying - hard - to learn to use a dot but I'm painfully slow compared to irons.

https://tombstonetactical.com/product/t ... ray-2-17rd

I'm very happy with this thing but once more want to reiterate that it has an extremely low round count and short duration of ownership.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

If you don't want a Staccato (but once, cry once, and thank me later), the Prodigy is a nice mid-range option. Not too bad out of the box, but I'd recommend replacing all the MIM trigger parts with an EGW Ignition Kit. Trigger will drop to about 3.5lbs, much faster and crisper reset. An Atlas flat trigger is also very nice.

Wright Armory is doing some really sweet porting on Prodigy pistols, they just posted one on their Instagram a few days ago that looked awesome.

By the time you buy a Prodigy and drop an EGW kit into it, you will be at about $1600, if you can do the work yourself. Still less than a Staccato, but still not quite as nice.

If it's a "project" gun for you, maybe try the MAC or Tisas clones...they look nice.

But a Staccato is a just better out of the box.
G34

Post by G34 »

Maybe it’s just my luck and the group I run with. We’ve had so many issues with staccato. Mostly the optic plates coming loose. Has anyone run a Bul Armory.

A friend has a prodigy and it’s nice for the price but you can feel the lack of refinement between it and the staccato
Abbey

Post by Abbey »

I was checking out a Staccato XL and an Atlas Artemis side by side at Pistol Parlour a couple months back. The Atlas was really nice, but I don't think it is 2x nicer than the Staccato to deserve the $7500 price. I just can't spend that much money on something that isn't full auto and doesn't appreciate in value like machine guns. My thought process is that I'd only enjoy it marginally more than the XL. And if I ever want to sell it, it's really hard to find someone who will spend $7k on a used gun. So I let that one pass.

I'm still thinking about the XL. My hesitation there is that I already have a bunch of single-action range toys and there are still some 2011 quirks that I'd like to see changed in a future design. Like the fact that Staccatos are all 9mm but still use .38 Super length mags, forcing a larger than necessary grip size. Now that they have the new C out with the 9mm designed mags, I wonder if they will eventually move their whole line to the new mags to enable smaller grip sizes? An XL with 17-20rd 9mm optimized mags and no grip safety would be perfect.

Hmm... sounds like maybe I do need a DWX. Anyone know of any in stock?