Glock or XD

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Glock or XD

Post by Ranger1 »

Pros and cons Glock vs XD

GunSmoke
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Glock or XD

Post by GunSmoke »

I have both, and while there are differences such as the grip safety on the XD, don't find them vastly different. I will say, that prior to the Dual recoil spring in the Gen 4 Glocks, the XD in anything above 9 mm seem to have lower recoil, though the early XD had horrible triggers. If you are new to shooting, or CCW, the grip safety does add an extra layer of comfort ( though there are drawbacks to the grip safety as well).

All that said, I actually can't remember the last time I shot the XD. The Glock 17 and the 19, get frequent range trips, and as such are clearly my standout favorites.
lew

Post by lew »

I like 'em both and shot either one very well. Glocks have less muzzle flip, and the mags and spare parts are cheaper. I hate grip safeties, so that's not a plus for me. I've found stock Glock triggers to generally be smoother and lighter. If you're into that kind of thing, the aftermarket for Glock is an order of magnitude larger. If it weren't for the price of mags, I'd have an XD just for some variety, but a Glock 19 is what I carry everyday.
Rpowell600

Post by Rpowell600 »

Like others have said they are fairly similar. They both feel good in my hands, shoot generally flat (your own grip on the firearm is everything in this scenario). Glock aftermarket parts has more support. The sky is the limit really. I am not really a fan of XD's grip safety. It just isnt necessary in my opinion.

Being said, Glocks always have a space in my safe. A Glock 19 was my first handgun I ever purchased and shot so I have some bias. You'll be fine with whatever fits your hands the best at the gun counter.
Flash

Post by Flash »

I don't carry a 1911 due to the geometry and size of my hands and the grip safety, a combination that causes occasional Failure To Fire issues. I do carry SAO handguns, but none with a grip safety, so my vote goes to the Glock. This is a fairly common malady with even one of Jerry Miculek's nephews, the one who manages a custom gun shop on Shootout Lane has.
Intel6

Post by Intel6 »

I consider them very similar but I do not care for the grip safety of the XD so I shoot and own Glocks.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

I had a second gen Glock 22 and didn't like the feel of it at all- sold it within a month.
I have several XD's and love em all... I don't know about Glock but I like the raised loaded chamber indicator, the cocked firing pin indicator, and the grip safety adds an additional layer very much like a 1911. Also if you learn to move your thumb to the back of the slide while holstering, it takes pressure off the grip safety and you won't have a ND because something got caught in the trigger guard.
Dat_Ginga

Post by Dat_Ginga »

Both are excellent handguns and it's really whatever you prefer. When I pick up Springfield XD series gun I always think it feels better in the hands than a Glock does and, to me, feels better built. I think the grip safety is pointless but is a great feature for people new to firearms who aren't as comfortable with them or for somebody who just likes it. If the magazines weren't so expensive for an XD series gun I would probably own one. There are aftermarket magazines made for Glocks in a variety of different prices and you can build a Glock like firearm with just aftermarket parts by themselves. Both shoot as good as you can shoot. I prefer Glock because I'm invested in the platform plus I can find factory magazines for $19.99 on sale on many different websites.