Going into debt to buy ammo :) Time to reload.

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
SupportTheSecond
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Going into debt to buy ammo :) Time to reload.

Post by SupportTheSecond »

Always wanted one, a want not a need. Ordered some regular ammo for it. Not bad at 2.00 a round and splurged on some specialty ammo. The Underwood 700 grain rounds just because. I put my recently purchased S&W Model 69 by it for comparison. When I picked it up from my home based FFL when he handed me the case he said "This thing is a beast!" I agreed.

Bill Poole

Re: Going into debt to buy ammo :) Time to reload.

Post by Bill Poole »

OP's next post will be: "going into debt to buy primers"
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

That is why I load for my 44 magnum, 460 magnum, 45-70, 7.5x55 swiss.

While reloading for common calibers is a wash on money saved these days with prices - at least there are still savings to be have for the less common calibers.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Basic financial planning: avoid debt.
The only exception is ammo. For ammo, going into debt is OK.
Azgunlover69

Post by Azgunlover69 »

The roi on ammo can be HUGE
tabascoman79

Post by tabascoman79 »

Don’t get shocked buying components. You get a lot of rounds per pound. And the 100 bucks for 1000 primers lasts a long time. I use quarterly bonuses and buy my stuff. You’ll start saving money when you don’t have to buy brass. Granted. Bullets are pricey, but hard cast lead is a good bit cheaper. You don’t need top tier equipment to load quality ammo. eBay is your friend for does and even scales and presses. Join MeWe if you’re not already. Lots of brass there for good prices. Next you’ll be getting into casting and really see where reloading pays off. I load for all my guns. My 458 socom and 300 win mag alone pay for it. I’ve been loading since 2007. I use 2 single stage rcbs presses. One in the shop to size and prime and one in the gun room to seat and crimp stuff. It’s great hobby. And it doesn’t take a ton of space with the right set up.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Buy more ammo
thom

Post by thom »

Doc wrote: November 23rd, 2023, 8:23 pmBuy more ammo
The government gives their ammo supply to Ukraine and Israel.
The government needs to replenish. They buy all the local ammo.
Makers of live rounds suck up all the available components to build more ammo.
We are left out.
Buy ammo and components before you can't again.
Tacticalplinker

Post by Tacticalplinker »

Around 10 years ago I got into reloading for a brief amount of time. Not sure how much I spent, but it had to be north of $1k. It saved me nothing and I paid more for my reloads than buying factory ammo.

I think the trick is volume. I didn't shoot enough or reload enough to recoupe my investment before I said "f*** this" and sold everything off... That or slowly recoupe the investment over time, and/or reloading harder to find calibers.

I don't know if supply or prices have changed. I distinctly remember enduring a primer shortage back then too, 2012 maybe. I think there was an ammo shortage in general, especially .22LR, around the same time.
blasternaz

Post by blasternaz »

I've been reloading for over 50 years. Started small, acquired more as time went on, got into casting wayy back when. Have what I need to last me for the rest of my life and my kids life, if I could get them interested and they lived near me. That said, I'm currently shooting mostly factory 9mm. Bought a fair amount when it was 0.18/round delivered. Don't shoot like I used to, but try to keep my hand in. It's a great hobby and if the gummint keeps infringing on our anonymity, it may be necessary. 'Course, I'm on so many "lists" it's pathetic, but why feed the bears?
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

If all you shoot is the common calibers like 9mm and 5.56,...yes, reloading doesn't make much sense, especially if you are only looking to shoot FMJ stuff for competition or training.

However, try pricing factory ammo for for the surplus calibers of just a couple decades ago that were dirt cheap then,...like 8mm Mauser and .303 British or even 7.62x25Tok. 8mm and .303 are well over $1.25 per round these days and 7.62Tokarev is at least $.50 cents each. But I can load 8mm and .303 for just $1 if I use new components, and even cheaper if I scrounge up some used brass. That makes a huge difference if you happen to own a Bren or an FN49 or Hakim, or God forbid, a belt-fed! And with 7.62Tok I can make them for $.37 cents with new brass, and cheaper if used. That's a minimum 25% discount from factory.

Then of course there is the fact you can custom craft ammo for your specific needs. Like cranking out super mild powder-puff loads for .38spl for the kids and ladies. Likewise, making barely legal power level ammo for cowboy action shooting.

In my case, I happen to enjoy some of the older "junk" guns you come across at gun shows, many of which are still shootable if you can find the ammo. I acquired an old Iver Johnson .32 S&W Target Model from 1907. Try to find current factory loaded .32S&W anywhere, I dare you. If you do, it is ridiculously priced. But loading it, after coming up with the almost equally hard to find brass, is far, far cheaper. It also happens to be a good lady's and kids gun too. And those are always good to have around.

Even the modern 10mm can be problematic to find in sufficient quantities whenever you desire. Or .30 carbine for that matter.

But for me, as I think I have described on here several times in the past, the value is more than the pennies saved. Reloading is transcendental and my source of meditation and calming. Because one can make a KABOOM mistake in they do not pay attention, you HAVE to shut out all other things from your mind when you are at the loading bench. No matter how schitty your day or the fight you had with you wife,...you MUST push all that out of your mind as you focus on the task at hand. And in so doing, as you spend hours cranking away making ammo, I find myself having achieved both a level of calm and sense of accomplishment, and thus have a spring in my step when I am done. I go to sleep happy and content.