Guide rod Issue

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
ooda
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Guide rod Issue

Post by ooda »

I have purchased a tungsten single spring guide rod with the stock weight 17 lbs. spring for my Glock 43x. It is a bear to lock the slide back. Do I need to lock the slide back and leave it lock in several days. It is a Rival Arms brand. Put back stock rod and called it a day.

G34

Re: Guide rod Issue

Post by G34 »

Shoot it, it’ll loosen up. I throw a lil grease on all my single action springs when I get em.

Are you running a comp or why did you change the recoil assembly
ooda

Post by ooda »

G34 wrote: July 30th, 2023, 7:09 am Shoot it, it’ll loosen up. I throw a lil grease on all my single action springs when I get em.

Are you running a comp or why did you change the recoil assembly
No comp. wanted to see if there was any truth to less recoil flip with a heavier guide rod.
Kingjoey

Post by Kingjoey »

Cycling a spring will cause it to "take a set" and shorten a little to it's intended working length and relieve to it's intended working strength. Leaving a spring compressed will generally not cause any appreciable change in length as it would require compressing/stretching a spring past its elastic limit to a point of deforming. Run a few hundred rounds through the gun and the spring will be good to go for thousands more
ooda

Post by ooda »

Kingjoey wrote: July 30th, 2023, 8:44 am Cycling a spring will cause it to "take a set" and shorten a little to it's intended working length and relieve to it's intended working strength. Leaving a spring compressed will generally not cause any appreciable change in length as it would require compressing/stretching a spring past its elastic limit to a point of deforming. Run a few hundred rounds through the gun and the spring will be good to go for thousands more
Thank you and G34 for the advice to put rounds down range o break it in.