Question for Glock owners on the trigger guard pad

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
SupportTheSecond
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Question for Glock owners on the trigger guard pad

Post by SupportTheSecond »

Being a new Glock owner both my wife and I have new Glock 30's and noticed that the front on the trigger guard looks like it's designed for a two handed hold point. I have looked at various articles on line and see many varying opinions on using it like that.

I would prefer to hear from actual owners on it vs. all the keyboard commandos there seems to be out there. I've been dry firing quite a bit haven't had a chance for range time yet but my impression so far is that if you place your left index finger on that serrated area at the front of the trigger guard it would seem to really help stabilize the weapon.

Appreciate any insight from owners of them and if you love or hate that option.

Joe_Blacke

Re: Question for Glock owners on the trigger guard pad

Post by Joe_Blacke »

Wrapping your support hand index finger around the trigger guard was a very brief fad in the 90s. Some people can shoot well in spite of it not because of it. Nobody teaches that anymore.

The most important part is get your firing hand up high on the back strap, and make sure your support palm fits firmly against the frame.

A good grip makes your sights perfect every presentation as well as controls recoil.

Jedi has really nailed the grip and teaches it well. I still am more flat to the target, even with a RDS, than him on presentation, but there is no doubt his method works.

kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

I generally use that to wrap my middle finger on when shooting, it's just comfortable for me, and, it keeps recoil to a minimum. Honestly, I don't care what anyone else thinks about it, you need to do you and find out if it works or not for you.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
Joe_Blacke

Post by Joe_Blacke »

kenpoprofessor wrote: July 15th, 2023, 2:21 pm I generally use that to wrap my middle finger on when shooting, it's just comfortable for me, and, it keeps recoil to a minimum. Honestly, I don't care what anyone else thinks about it, you need to do you and find out if it works or not for you.

Clyde
You wrap your middle finger around the front of the trigger guard? Where are your index finger and thumb? Over the top of the slide? Or are you referring to your firing hand?
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Joe_Blacke wrote: July 15th, 2023, 2:39 pm
kenpoprofessor wrote: July 15th, 2023, 2:21 pm I generally use that to wrap my middle finger on when shooting, it's just comfortable for me, and, it keeps recoil to a minimum. Honestly, I don't care what anyone else thinks about it, you need to do you and find out if it works or not for you.

Clyde
You wrap your middle finger around the front of the trigger guard? Where are your index finger and thumb? Over the top of the slide? Or are you referring to your firing hand?
You're right, I wrap my left pointing finger around the trigger guard. Don't know what I was thinking when I typed that last post. So, I grabbed a 17 and gripped it to make sure I'm an idiot :mrgreen:

Clyde
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

kenpoprofessor wrote: July 15th, 2023, 2:21 pm I generally use that to wrap my index finger on when shooting, it's just comfortable for me, and, it keeps recoil to a minimum. Honestly, I don't care what anyone else thinks about it, you need to do you and find out if it works or not for you.

Clyde
WhiteDragon

Post by WhiteDragon »

I do not recommend using it as part of your grip. It does not help stabilize anything during rapid fire commonly used in combat. In fact, the vast majority of people don't grip the gun properly. This isn't so important during slow fire, but once you introduce rapid, accurate fire, they lose control.
G34

Post by G34 »

Grip is the most misunderstood fundamental. Many grip a pistol like they would hold a hammer instead of inline pressure at certain placement.

There’s no reason to adopt a new grip unless the pistol is too small for your hands that’d you impede its function.

I have to G48 and 43x that I have to utilize a modified grip on due to my hands being to wide. BUT I train with those a lot to get proficient with them.

On mid size or full frame I use a grip like Rick crawley and rob Vogel
SupportTheSecond

Thank you for all the replies. I figured after 60 plus years of shooting I would stick with my old habits in regard to grip.
SupportTheSecond

Amazing accuracy for these. Both the wife and I ran them for a good amount of time at a local indoor range that we really liked. The picture of her is after shooting my Son's Desert Eagle 50 AE. I let you guess the word she said by her expression. It was a fun day.

coltnut

Post by coltnut »

Do what works for you.Try different holds if current one doesnt feel right.I shoot at times with two fingers from support hand in front of trigger guard.Attached is a video link of Lena Miculek shooting some slow drills,look at her hands on gun.( Pro Shooter with a Master and legend shooter for a Dad !)