Glock 19 Gen 2 Value Question

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
kenpoprofessor
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Glock 19 Gen 2 Value Question

Post by kenpoprofessor »

delta6 wrote: March 29th, 2023, 8:38 am
kenpoprofessor wrote: March 29th, 2023, 4:44 am
baja wrote: March 29th, 2023, 4:33 am https://www.gunbroker.com/item/970876700
If someone wants to pay me a huge amount for a Gen 2, I'll take it :mrgreen: . As I said, $300 tops, if someone believes it's worth more, then good luck selling it, and stupid for buying it at a higher price. There's a ton of Glocks out there so they're very common. If you've got a model that was only produced and sold overseas, maybe they'll fetch a premium, but run of the mill Gen 2 stuff, nope.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
A wise man once told me, “Never confuse what you paid for something with what it is actually worth.”
A wiser man told me: Things are easier to get than they are to get rid of.

delta6

Post by delta6 »

kenpoprofessor wrote: March 29th, 2023, 12:12 pm

If someone wants to pay me a huge amount for a Gen 2, I'll take it :mrgreen: . As I said, $300 tops, if someone believes it's worth more, then good luck selling it, and stupid for buying it at a higher price. There's a ton of Glocks out there so they're very common. If you've got a model that was only produced and sold overseas, maybe they'll fetch a premium, but run of the mill Gen 2 stuff, nope.

Clyde
A wise man once told me, “Never confuse what you paid for something with what it is actually worth.”
Only if your 'wiser man' was actually wiser when he bought. If he wasn't, i guess he wouldn't be 'wiser'. You can't have it both ways...just sayin :naughty:
Rock Hardson

Post by Rock Hardson »

Man, I wish I could find a Glock 19 for $300.

But alas, those deals don't exist except in the minds, and imaginations, of the smooth brains

You would be hard pressed to find one for $450, but those deals are very rare as well.
Noshoot

Post by Noshoot »

Rock Hardson wrote: March 29th, 2023, 4:15 pm Man, I wish I could find a Glock 19 for $300.

But alas, those deals don't exist except in the minds, and imaginations, of the smooth brains

You would be hard pressed to find one for $450, but those deals are very rare as well.
^^This^^
baja

Post by baja »

Fact is an item is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay at any given moment.

So what have we learned?

Some only want to pay $300 to $450 for a gen2, others seem to be willing to pay $600 to $800.

Hopefully all will find a deal at the price they're willing to pay.
MarkItZero

Post by MarkItZero »

Rock Hardson wrote: March 29th, 2023, 4:15 pm Man, I wish I could find a Glock 19 for $300.

I just got a gen 4 G17 police trade in for $300
Shootist

Post by Shootist »

Age & condition of the night sites might affect value, but there was an 11 year run for gen2 Glocks.
They aren't unique in any way.
I've seen newer generation police trade-ins in the $400 +/- range, which is about average.

Mark
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

kenpoprofessor wrote: March 29th, 2023, 12:12 pm

Clyde
The only things easier to get than get rid of are things you didn't want in the first place.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

I guess it is probably a question of how badly he needs / wants money right now. My GUESS is that the collector market for these is only going to go up from here.

For me, personally, I'm much more like Clyde - I'm a utilitarian buyer - I have no interest in collector guns - I shoot everything I own. So for me - based on my understanding that they don't have any utilitarian value beyond the current versions of the gun - the value would be "a good bit less than the cost of a Gen 5 Glock 19."

That said - not everyone sees the world through the same lens and I'm guessing that the further we get from 1988 (introduction of the gen 2s) the more a very low round count / perfect condition gen 2 would be worth. Once they stop making something, it drops in value, until it becomes rare - and then, especially if it is an iconic thing (gun, car, etc.) the lightly used / clean versions start gaining value.

If your buddy doesn't mind them sitting in the safe - he should probably put a good coat of protectant oil on the barrel, and bag it up - let it sit in the safe for 20 more years.

I about 15 years ago I bought a Yugo SKS to plink with. I think I paid $125 for it. I just walked through the "library" at Bass Pro on the west side - and there's one that looks just like mine - for $999... I almost fell over... Time does good things when more items don't enter the market...