1st failure with my favorite semi auto

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

1st failure with my favorite semi auto

Post by Boriqua »

Was at the range today and brought my favorite semi auto. My sig 229. I have run all sorts of drills with this gun over the course of a year with a board member and the gun has never failed. NEVER! It has a few thousand rounds through it and always goes bang. Its accurate and it fits my hand well. Its what I mostly carry.

Today at the range I had a strange incident. Was busy shooting along but on one shot I brought it to the reset and while I heard and felt it click it didnt feel like it had completely reset. It felt like I may have short stroked it.

Trigger locked to the back and no amount of pulling it sent the hammer down. I dropped the mag and racked the slide and it was back in operation and I fired another 20 rounds without a problem. Has me a bit nervous now as I do carry it and it has ALWAYS just worked.

Can a short stroke lead to a locked trigger?

brandyspaw

Re: 1st failure with my favorite semi auto

Post by brandyspaw »

I've had several P229's (I still own two of them) and I've been shooting them since 1994. I continue to use them as my primary sidearm because I prefer the grip on the P229's and my P228 due to their ergonomics. I prefer them more than any other handguns including other SIG's like my P226's and my P220.

Having said all that, however, with so many years of shooting SIG P series guns, I've never had an incident like that. I guess if someone manipulated the trigger quickly but didn't move off the trigger fast enough it might get the trigger to stay back but I still wouldn't think it would lock up. So I don't know unless its the trigger bar spring getting weak. Or maybe just a fluke?
zonie77

Post by zonie77 »

I worked on mechanical things for many years and rarely had something happen that made me say "I could not adjust it to do that!" Might be a fluke.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Firearms are machines. Machines require maintenance. Sometimes machines break. Expecting a machine to never break is unreasonable. There are people that specialize is fixing machines. In the gun world, they are called gunsmiths.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Your SIG is broken and cannot be repaired. You can never trust it again.
Because I like you, I will give you $100 for it, and take it off your hands.
You're welcome.
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

It sounds like a pretty reliable weapon, any semi auto can jam, could have been how you were holding it, pulling the trigger, the ammo etc. If it starts happening on a regular basis you might have a spring or something starting to wear out. I personally wouldn't worry about it too much.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

It will drop the hammer double action but it wont drop the hammer in Single action anymore. I found that if I remove the grip, pull the trigger all the way to the frame and then give an extra little forward pressure to the safety lever the hammer drops.

I dont think its the trigger bar spring but just in case I took a brand new trigger bar spring from my backup parts kit and installed it. Still no good.

Seems to be something up with the safety lever and the sear. I ordered an SRT kit which I have been meaning to install anyway and it comes with a new sear, safety lever and sear spring. I am hoping that solves the problem.

If that doesnt do it I am at a loss. I do have a brand new trigger bar but I dont see that being the problem.

Its not like I cant juist load up my holster with my HKP2000 but .. that Sig and me have bonded.
Noshoot

Post by Noshoot »

Armorer's section over on SigForum-

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/150601935

Join the forum and see what they have to say.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Noshoot wrote: March 24th, 2023, 2:51 pm Armorer's section over on SigForum-

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/150601935

Join the forum and see what they have to say.
Thanks for the suggestion Noshoot! I have been a member over there a while and already posted. So far I have been able to eliminate some possible causes but still cant drop the hammer from single action. I figure that the hammer not dropping has to mean the sear or the safety lever are worn or chipped at the engagement point. If its not that I am lost. Hope the SRT kit which includes a new sear will solve it. If not I will be left chasing a gremlin. :cry:

Next week I will be changing the sear, sear spring and safety lever. Wish me luck!
omegaman

Post by omegaman »

Well hope that fixes it. I'm amazed it is the first failure you've had. If you shoot a lot every gun will fail sooner or later.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

smithers599 wrote: March 24th, 2023, 6:31 am Your SIG is broken and cannot be repaired. You can never trust it again.
Because I like you, I will give you $100 for it, and take it off your hands.
You're welcome.
You are so incredibly generous! I was only going to ask $50