S&W 642 Alternative for CCW

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Name_Restricted
New to ArizonaShooting.org

S&W 642 Alternative for CCW

Post by Name_Restricted »

I've been carrying a S&W 642 for years. Mainly just for quick errands like checking the mail or running to the store. I normally carry a Glock 19 if I need something with more capacity.

Lately 5 shots + a 5 shot speed strip feels light even for quick errands. Any opinions on an auto with more capacity to replace my 642?

Thanks.

blasternaz
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: S&W 642 Alternative for CCW

Post by blasternaz »

Sig 365 or 365XL, depending on your size and grip strength.
MarkItZero

Post by MarkItZero »

Kahr
baja

Post by baja »

Something lighter, slimmer than G19 but more capacity than 642.
Since you already carry a Glock I'm thinking a G48 at 10 rounds would be perfect.
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

IF you want it to be in the pocket, a G42 in .380 is one of my faves. A G43 is 6+1, or 9+1 with Shield mags
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

Depending on what calibers you like and if it's pocket carry or not. Here are some thoughts. I've shot all of these except the Ruger LCP Max. I like them all and the Ruger LCP 2 has a much better trigger than the original LCP.

.380 Auto
Ruger LCP 2 - 7 round magazines
Ruger LCP Max - 10-12 round magazines
Glock 42 - 6 round or +1/+2 round extensions

9mm
Glock 43 - 6 round magazines or 9 rounds with the Shield Arms magazine
Glock 43X - 10 rounds or 15 with Shield Arms magazines.
tdog90yj

Post by tdog90yj »

MarkItZero wrote: March 7th, 2023, 7:56 pmKahr
“This is the way”-said in Mandalorian… I love my Glocks but when you get to single stacks you lose magazine compatibility within caliber. I went Khar before Glock made single stacks and have not looked back.
It is true you will lose some of the “Gucci” stuff like comps and RDS slides but in my mind if you are looking for that carry your G-19. Oh and the khar doesn’t have those pesky AD issues the sigs have had :shock:
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by AZ_Five56 »

I recently switched over to an HK P30SK. It's very slightly larger than a Glock 43 and the standard magazine carries 10 rounds. You can get extended magazines that carry more and give your pinky something to hold on to if you prefer, and I like that flexibility.

The only way to go with a P30SK is with the LEM trigger rather than the DA/SA configuration. I feel like the LEM trigger gives you the best of both worlds between DA/SA and striker fired, although the P30 is hammer fired. Technically, it's a double action only, but it doesn't have a hard trigger pull every time like most DAO. It has a lighter pull, but the first shot will have a longer trigger pull with the following shots having a very short trigger reset. I think it's magical. Just try one out at the range and see what you think.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

I replaced my 642 (well, actually 342) with a Ruger LC9. DA-only, revolver-like, not striker-fired. I don't want a safety-less pistol with a short trigger pull in my pocket. Too much risk of pressing the trigger while I am trying to get the gun out of my pocket in a hurry. (DeSantis Nemesis holster.)

Kahr is similar -- long trigger pull.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

The H&K P30Sk is on sale at CDNN. Have to call in for pricing but free shipping and no tax collection. A solid choice if you are looking for something smallish with a bit more round capacity.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/firearms.htm ... R+%26+KOCH

Having said that .. a Glock 19 is a very good choice and you already have one.
Abbey

Post by Abbey »

The P365 has been my daily since it came out and it completely replaced my 642. Pretty sure the 642 hasn't left the safe in over 4 years. I've tried multiple variants but the original is still my favorite. I usually run the 12-rd mag but sometimes swap in the 10 for pocket carry depending on the pocket.

I prefer hammers to strikers so I also have a Sig P224 in the rotation. But it is noticeably fatter (too bulky for many pockets and sometimes requires a looser shirt & back the belt out a notch) and has the same capacity as the P365 so I always come back to the P365 as the best compromise tool for the job. The P224 does take larger mag reloads but I generally carry the 12-rd in the gun.

I've been tempted to try the P30SK LEM but it's pretty similar to the P224 so I've resisted trying one so far.
Name_Restricted

Post by Name_Restricted »

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Think I can rule out the G48 for my purposes. There isn't enough of a size/weight difference from my G19 to make it worth while for me.

I like the idea of the Sig P365 or Kahr CW9. Not sure if I want to get into .380 since I don't have any ammo.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

I would advise you head to your local indoor shooting range and rent a P365. Of all the EDC carry guns I've owned over the years, including a S&W 442 (the black version of your 642), I can confidently say the P365 is my favorite. Half the size of a Glock 19 without sacrificing too many rounds in the magazine. You can even carry the new P365 Macro magazine as a back up, if you wish...I do at times, and it holds an additional 17 rounds. I've seen too many Kahr firearms with reliability issues to ever trust my life to one. My P365 has been flawless since day 1...literally...I bought one the first day they hit gun shops. Yes, there are singleton reports of P365's having issues, but any mass produced machine is going to have a few bad ones in the mix.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Name_Restricted wrote: March 7th, 2023, 7:13 pm I've been carrying a S&W 642 for years. Mainly just for quick errands like checking the mail or running to the store. I normally carry a Glock 19 if I need something with more capacity.

Lately 5 shots + a 5 shot speed strip feels light even for quick errands. Any opinions on an auto with more capacity to replace my 642?

Thanks.
Shield Plus, no safety. It replaced the Glock 43s I normally carried. I also carry a Ruger LC9s pro for something even just a bit thinner (single stack).

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
MarkItZero

Post by MarkItZero »

Name_Restricted wrote: March 9th, 2023, 4:24 pm Thanks for all the suggestions.

Think I can rule out the G48 for my purposes. There isn't enough of a size/weight difference from my G19 to make it worth while for me.

I like the idea of the Sig P365 or Kahr CW9. Not sure if I want to get into .380 since I don't have any ammo.
If size is the biggest issue, the Kahr CM9 is a tiny bit smaller than the CW9.