S&W 642 Alternative for CCW

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Tenring
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: S&W 642 Alternative for CCW

Post by Tenring »

Shield plus with a safety. Once the firearm is in the holster the safety is turned off.

Had a P30sk DA/SA....fine firearm, wish I still had it. I tried the LEM trigger at a local shop and the trigger reset seemed very very long, not sure I would consider that. Really like to shoot one with the LEM trigger to try it., really like the P30sk, dam fine firearm.

AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by AZ_Five56 »

Tenring wrote: March 13th, 2023, 8:33 pm
Had a P30sk DA/SA....fine firearm, wish I still had it. I tried the LEM trigger at a local shop and the trigger reset seemed very very long, not sure I would consider that. Really like to shoot one with the LEM trigger to try it., really like the P30sk, dam fine firearm.
I have the Gray Guns short reset kit installed in mine, and the reset is perfect for me. Maybe we could meet up at C2 sometime if you want to try mine out.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

AZ_Five56 wrote: March 13th, 2023, 9:17 pm
I have the Gray Guns short reset kit installed in mine, and the reset is perfect for me. Maybe we could meet up at C2 sometime if you want to try mine out.
Thank you for the offer, I would really like to do that, if only I had the time.
Gray Guns short reset on the LEM .... sounds like the perfect set up, as I prefer having a consistent trigger pull.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Did you install the kit yourself? I wanted to add it to my p2000 but I can't find a really good video to explain the process and while I have fiddled with plenty handguns I'm a little nervous about breaking down the HK. Any tips you can share? I know it's off topic so pm me if you like
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

Boriqua wrote: March 14th, 2023, 11:34 am
Did you install the kit yourself? I wanted to add it to my p2000 but I can't find a really good video to explain the process and while I have fiddled with plenty handguns I'm a little nervous about breaking down the HK. Any tips you can share? I know it's off topic so pm me if you like
I didn't do it myself. It was actually done by Gray Guns as part of their "Reduced Reset Carry Perfection Package", and they also installed the flat trigger. https://grayguns.com/reduced-reset-carr ... n-package/
TriggerFish

Post by TriggerFish »

43X - very light
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Its to bad that Sig no longer makes the 239. First gun I bought when I moved out here and STUPIDLY sold it off. That might have been a nice replacement for the 642 especially since you are already familiar and comfortable with DA.

Here is a replacement possibility though and at that cost its hard to resist!
https://www.cdnnsports.com/firearms/spr ... 801hc.html
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

AZ_Five56 wrote: March 14th, 2023, 12:17 pm

I didn't do it myself. It was actually done by Gray Guns as part of their "Reduced Reset Carry Perfection Package", and they also installed the flat trigger. https://grayguns.com/reduced-reset-carr ... n-package/
I was actually thinking of sending mine to Grey guns for a little spa treatment but now that you cant ship without an FFL .. gonna have to do it myself. Hopefully it wont be like my work on Motorcycles where I always seem to have extra parts when I am done!
Mike-4

Re: SW 642 Alternative for CCW

Post by Mike-4 »

For quick trips to the store, the 642 is hard to beat. The thing about going with an auto is the added weight and bulk, not easy to throw in to your shorts pockets and head out. If you have to go with an auto, I would recommend a P365 or Glock 43X but you would then have to IWB carry. Good luck.
Abbey

Post by Abbey »

I installed a Grayguns connector in a P30. It was super easy. Like less than 5 minutes easy. There were a ton of good youtube videos of the process at the time. I think some may even be linked from GG's site.

Now the flat trigger install was another story. If you remove the trigger, do yourself a favor and make sure you have a spring tool before you start the job. That tiny trigger return spring is tough to hold in place.
MarkItZero

Post by MarkItZero »

Mike-4 wrote: March 17th, 2023, 8:28 am For quick trips to the store, the 642 is hard to beat. The thing about going with an auto is the added weight and bulk, not easy to throw in to your shorts pockets and head out. If you have to go with an auto, I would recommend a P365 or Glock 43X but you would then have to IWB carry. Good luck.

A Kahr Cm9 is honestly better for pocket carrying than any revolver. Noticeably thinner with same basic footprint.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

MarkItZero wrote: March 17th, 2023, 1:06 pm
Mike-4 wrote: March 17th, 2023, 8:28 am For quick trips to the store, the 642 is hard to beat. The thing about going with an auto is the added weight and bulk, not easy to throw in to your shorts pockets and head out. If you have to go with an auto, I would recommend a P365 or Glock 43X but you would then have to IWB carry. Good luck.

A Kahr Cm9 is honestly better for pocket carrying than any revolver. Noticeably thinner with same basic footprint.
Khar is known to have horrible triggers, wouldn't own one, shot a bunch of them. My Shield Plus has a terrific trigger, and, why I chose it over many others in that size.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
dsgrntldPW22
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by dsgrntldPW22 »

+1 on going to a range and renting a couple that interest you. I would suggest looking at the Ruger LCP Max. .380 ammo variations are effective these days. And if you are getting up in years (like me) the easier to rack slide may be beneficial.
Pima Pants

Post by Pima Pants »

tdog90yj wrote: March 8th, 2023, 6:50 am
MarkItZero wrote: March 7th, 2023, 7:56 pmKahr
“This is the way”-said in Mandalorian… I love my Glocks but when you get to single stacks you lose magazine compatibility within caliber. I went Khar before Glock made single stacks and have not looked back.
It is true you will lose some of the “Gucci” stuff like comps and RDS slides but in my mind if you are looking for that carry your G-19. Oh and the khar doesn’t have those pesky AD issues the sigs have had :shock:

I pocket-carry my Kahr PM9 and have done so for many years. The gun has never malfunctioned and is very accurate. The trigger is like a double-action revolver; stacking, then release. I bought it used from a member on the old AZShooting board.
flyinverted

Post by flyinverted »

Try the Taurus G3C. It's my EDC. The frame is very grippy. 12 rounds native, and it has striker refire, or whatever you call the feature that allows you pull the trigger again if the round doesn't go boom the first time. I like that because I use a laser round for dry fire practice and need only to pull the trigger, instead of racking the slide each time.