Are high revolver prices really due to demographics?

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
brandyspaw
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Are high revolver prices really due to demographics?

Post by brandyspaw »

That recent Python thread went sideways but it did get me thinking on how depressing current revolver prices are these days. I realize that revolvers cost more to manufacture and they don't sell the volume of a maker's typical poly pistol so less economies of scale.

Also, to many, the best revolvers from S&W and Colt are the older ones that really bring brain dead money these days. But even current production stuff is pretty high. For example, the newly introduced S&W M350 X frame is over $1500 and the new gen Python is also at $1500. Even a new Ruger Redhawk retails at $1379. With poly pistols the retail is meaningless and street price is considerably lower. But it seems revolvers tend to stay priced closer to their retail.

So my question is, will changing demographics really drop the prices as boomers age and reduce demand? Or are there enough younger shooters getting into revolvers to keep them popular? I would have thought between the higher ammo costs of magnum revolvers and the aging population we'd see a drop off now.

QuietM4

Re: Are high revolver prices really due to demographics?

Post by QuietM4 »

The gun market thrives and relies on people with small brains and large wallets.

I can also point you towards dozens of revolvers that are nowhere near the $1k price mark. Premium finishes and low production numbers equals higher prices, period. Gun mfg's wouldn't make them if they didnt sell...that isn't going to change any time soon, regardless of the age demographics of firearm consumers.

There will always be an useful idiot who is more than happy and willing to pay over $1500 for a shinny revolver "cause it got a pony on it!"
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

QuietM4 wrote: February 1st, 2023, 12:43 pm

I can also point you towards dozens of revolvers that are nowhere near the $1k price mark.
Point away. I dont need another but I recently received my CDNN eflyer and even the Gp100 is pressing on a thousand bucks and the price of the SP101 is some 2-$300 over what I paid for the wifes just a few years ago.. My 3" GP is probably my favorite handgun.

I did try the Rock island but .. It was no where near ready to be a functional firearm out of the box.

So not trying to be a wisenhiemer but if you know some hidden gems out there let me know

https://www.cdnnsports.com/firearms/han ... ammer.html

https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/ruger-gp1 ... -monogrip/
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Taurus, Rossi, Charter Arms, most Rugers, most S&W.

Firearms that some people deem to be "collectible" or "rare" are always going to be priced accordingly, and someone will always be dumb enough to buy one...thus perpetuating the market.

For a real world useable revovler, you can spend well under $1k. A S&W 686 can be had for around $700. A blued GP100 is around the same price point. Taurus and Rossi are less than $500.

There seems to be a lot of people on this forum who want a Ferarri, but are then surprised/shocked/upset to find that they are expensive.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

QuietM4 wrote: February 1st, 2023, 1:22 pm Taurus, Rossi, Charter Arms, most Rugers, most S&W.

Firearms that some people deem to be "collectible" or "rare" are always going to be priced accordingly, and someone will always be dumb enough to buy one...thus perpetuating the market.

For a real world useable revovler, you can spend well under $1k. A S&W 686 can be had for around $700. A blued GP100 is around the same price point. Taurus and Rossi are less than $500.

There seems to be a lot of people on this forum who want a Ferarri, but are then surprised/shocked/upset to find that they are expensive.
I have always been put off of Taurus by the internet chatter that the QC is spotty but I do know someone that has had a Tracker for ages and shoots it often. Are the Charter Arms any good?
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Charter Arms is the Hi Point of the revolver world. Not the prettiest, not the best finish quality, but they do work.

Taurus has VASTLY improved over the past 5 years. The Internet has a bad habit of only showcasing the negative aspects of everything. Will you end up using the Lifetime Warranty? 50/50...but at least it will be free.
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

QuietM4 wrote: February 1st, 2023, 1:22 pm For a real world useable revovler, you can spend well under $1k. A S&W 686 can be had for around $700. A blued GP100 is around the same price point. Taurus and Rossi are less than $500.
Well, I'm not finding cheap revolvers unless your talking junk like Taurus, Rossi, Charter Arms, etc. Good quality revolvers are very expensive these days and it seems the biggest price bumps have been in just the last few years. In pre-covid days, there were a lot of nice revolvers in the price ranges you're talking. Recent years, not so much.
OMart

Post by OMart »

Boriqua wrote: February 1st, 2023, 1:34 pm I have always been put off of Taurus by the internet chatter that the QC is spotty but I do know someone that has had a Tracker for ages and shoots it often. Are the Charter Arms any good?
I think one of the biggest issues regarding Taurus of the past was turn around time for any kind of warranty work. Rumor was at least 6 months, has to go back to Brazil from Taurus in Miami. They also would not sell replacement parts to American gunsmiths. My understanding now is that warranty work is now done in Bainbridge, Georgia and turn around is about 2 weeks. I sell a decent amount of their revolvers and no one has ever had an issue. Personally, I have a older Taurus 66, purchased about 20 years ago used. I have no idea how old it actually is. No issues what so ever but I don't shoot a ton of .357 out of it. For many years it was my EDC.

Now, Charter Arms is a whole other thing. I have returned so many to the distributor. One had a cylinder that you had to force hard to open, another the cylinder release jammed, another the cylinder release fell off. Some S&W revolvers can be had under $600 like the 442, 642 and Bodyguard. Another that I have had good luck with is the EAA Windicator, but I have read some things too. I also own 2 Rock Island .38's and have never had an issue either. The snub nose seems to get better the more I use it and I had some serious apprehensions when purchasing as I didn't like the lock up and it would fail to completely cycle when rapid firing when new. That issue seems to have fixed itself.

I have to say even at $1475, I sell every 4" barreled Colt Python I can get my hands on and have a waiting list for the 6". Lately, I have had some very nice S&W 686's (4" Pro Series and PC) come in, usually $1,000 and up. The Kimber revolvers are nice but definitely overpriced like the rest of their products. Ruger, well, getting in our first SP101 in forever, so have to see what is the price. I really like the LCRX but the price gap between it and the LCR is off putting. We occasionally get the Chiappa Rhino and it sells well but expensive and kind of not my thing.

There might be a very valid point between the price and demographic. I have a regular who buys 2 of everything, and some of the money he drops on revolvers seems a bit crazy.
samnev

Post by samnev »

Wow, I wonder what my pristine in the box S&W pristine 4" 19-2 Model 19 and 4"' 29-2 would be worth?
needsmostuff

Post by needsmostuff »

Kind of funny how some will call a revolver lover dumb for dropping $1500 on a top level piece. While at the same time sinking $3000. in an AR when other ARs can be had for less than $500.
Is there a difference between top and bottom ? YUP!
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

Yeah, someone can buy what they want and shouldn't be labeled "dumb" just because they step up to buy something quality regardless of what it is. Plus, the post was not to debate what's quality in the way of revolvers anyway.

The original question was--are the high revolver prices from boomers still spending or are younger shooters getting into them? For years now, I've been told that prices on revolvers, lever guns, etc are going to get cheap when the boomers retire, downsize or die off. I'm just not seeing that.
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

Younger shooters are getting into them for a variety of reasons :

They either ignored them for a long time, bought semi-autos, then tried a wheelgun and loved it,
They were influenced by social media personalities like Kentucky Ballistics who has tons of content with large caliber revolvers,
Or they buy one that they seen/used in a video game or a movie (this has attributed to tons of new firearms enthusiasts.)

It is amazing how many "new" shooters / owners I encounter who got into the lifestyle due to video games or social media, which is a good thing as in my experience it also is followed by re-examining or revitalizing their support of the 2A.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

paulgt2164 wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 10:15 am Younger shooters are getting into them for a variety of reasons :

They either ignored them for a long time, bought semi-autos, then tried a wheelgun and loved it,
They were influenced by social media personalities like Kentucky Ballistics who has tons of content with large caliber revolvers,
Or they buy one that they seen/used in a video game or a movie (this has attributed to tons of new firearms enthusiasts.)

It is amazing how many "new" shooters / owners I encounter who got into the lifestyle due to video games or social media, which is a good thing as in my experience it also is followed by re-examining or revitalizing their support of the 2A.
Now I dont have a huge sample pool to work from but the 4 young cats I handed a revolver to looked at me like I was still wearing a loin cloth and had fallen out of a time warp.

Now .. I will say that once they got past the initial "what the fuk is this" thing .. they did grin like the cheshire cat playing with it, that is until I said .. alright now shoot it in double action! :mrgreen:
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

paulgt2164 wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 10:15 am Younger shooters are getting into them for a variety of reasons :

Thanks for those observations as that explains some of the demand. I rarely get to gun shops/gun ranges these days. I tend to just use my local FFL guy and I usually shoot in the desert. As a result, I don't have enough interaction with younger shooters to observe any trends.
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

Boriqua wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 12:16 pm

Now I dont have a huge sample pool to work from but the 4 young cats I handed a revolver to looked at me like I was still wearing a loin cloth and had fallen out of a time warp.

Now .. I will say that once they got past the initial "what the fuk is this" thing .. they did grin like the cheshire cat playing with it, that is until I said .. alright now shoot it in double action! :mrgreen:
It is like .22lrs and Black Powder. The youth ignore them, till they are in their little grubby hands - then they all want them. Lol. It is a good thing, lol.