I'm not a Glock fanboy, but...

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
pneuby
ArizonaShooting.org Member

I'm not a Glock fanboy, but...

Post by pneuby »

I really dug this cat's video....

Suck My Glock

Re: I'm not a Glock fanboy, but...

Post by Suck My Glock »

I used to be a dyed-in-the-wool Jeff Cooper faithful acolyte who prayed at the alter of the 1911. And to this day, I still do prefer a nicely tuned and properly appointed 1911 for carry.

HOWEVER,...I dipped my toes in the river of Glock back in 1989, fully expecting to hate and detest it,...but came away saying, "OK, that ain't so horrible." At the time, I just wasn't used to the ergonomics of the Glocks. But mechanically, I had no complaints. And when you combine the economics of a Glock with the mechanical perfectness,...I soon realized that I could have everything I paid all that extra money for to get my 1911 customized, with the exception of the trigger. All that was required was for me to adapt.

Among the features that the Glock comes with that I had to pay extra for on my 1911s;...all the corners and edges are "de-horned",...the Tenifer anti-corrosion finish was as good as or better than anything Robar or Magnaport offerred,...it fed 100% of the time with ANY ammo. Those 3 things are very important, and they pushed the cost on a customized 1911 well over $1000 even in the 80s, but came standard on every Glock for only about $400.

I started out with the basic G17,...eventually got a G20, then a G19,...and before I knew it, I actually became a Glock fan, and carried a Glock more often than I did any of my 1911s.

I have personally put about 90,000 rounds through my first G20 over years of weekly matches and other blasting. In that time, I replaced 3 extractors and 2 front sights. But that's a damned impressive record. I've seen plenty of other abused Glocks that various trainers have actually TRIED to destroy by not maintaining them and just shooting the piss out of them. One trainer I used to know would load his G19 with a blank round and throw it downrange in every single class in order to demonstrate how safe it was. After a few years of that abuse, it looked like it had been left out on the highway and run over by a convoy of gravel trucks. It must have been thrown several hundred times by that point. Not only did it never fire that blank unintentionally,...the damned thing would still empty a magazine without a hiccup when intentionally fired.

So yeah,...I'm a Glock fanboy, and I don't deny it.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Suck My Glock wrote: December 26th, 2022, 1:17 pm I used to be a dyed-in-the-wool Jeff Cooper faithful acolyte who prayed at the alter of the 1911. And to this day, I still do prefer a nicely tuned and properly appointed 1911 for carry.

HOWEVER,...I dipped my toes in the river of Glock back in 1989, fully expecting to hate and detest it,...but came away saying, "OK, that ain't so horrible." At the time, I just wasn't used to the ergonomics of the Glocks. But mechanically, I had no complaints. And when you combine the economics of a Glock with the mechanical perfectness,...I soon realized that I could have everything I paid all that extra money for to get my 1911 customized, with the exception of the trigger. All that was required was for me to adapt.

Among the features that the Glock comes with that I had to pay extra for on my 1911s;...all the corners and edges are "de-horned",...the Tenifer anti-corrosion finish was as good as or better than anything Robar or Magnaport offerred,...it fed 100% of the time with ANY ammo. Those 3 things are very important, and they pushed the cost on a customized 1911 well over $1000 even in the 80s, but came standard on every Glock for only about $400.

I started out with the basic G17,...eventually got a G20, then a G19,...and before I knew it, I actually became a Glock fan, and carried a Glock more often than I did any of my 1911s.

I have personally put about 90,000 rounds through my first G20 over years of weekly matches and other blasting. In that time, I replaced 3 extractors and 2 front sights. But that's a damned impressive record. I've seen plenty of other abused Glocks that various trainers have actually TRIED to destroy by not maintaining them and just shooting the piss out of them. One trainer I used to know would load his G19 with a blank round and throw it downrange in every single class in order to demonstrate how safe it was. After a few years of that abuse, it looked like it had been left out on the highway and run over by a convoy of gravel trucks. It must have been thrown several hundred times by that point. Not only did it never fire that blank unintentionally,...the damned thing would still empty a magazine without a hiccup when intentionally fired.

So yeah,...I'm a Glock fanboy, and I don't deny it.
I got exposed to the Glock in '90 when a friend of mine showed me his. I'm an official Glockaholic.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

I am not a "fan" (as most of my collection is weird useless fun stuff, and the Glocks are "boring.") However I always have at least one laying around (currently a G19x cause it is the weird one of their catalog) - cause they are a great firearm. Truth be told, there aren't many firearms I would grab in an emergency over a Glock - because I know it will work (unless it has been "upgraded" by some dildo.)

I always laugh at the Glock fanboys and vehement Glock haters. Fanboyism is mental retardation, and hating a product cause it is popular or the "standard" is nearly equally as retarded. Always impresses me how much people can prove the lack of brain cells by wasting time debating a known quantity. There is a good reason why they are so popular.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

paulgt2164 wrote: December 26th, 2022, 2:18 pm I am not a "fan" (as most of my collection is weird useless fun stuff, and the Glocks are "boring.") However I always have at least one laying around (currently a G19x cause it is the weird one of their catalog) - cause they are a great firearm. Truth be told, there aren't many firearms I would grab in an emergency over a Glock - because I know it will work (unless it has been "upgraded" by some dildo.)

I always laugh at the Glock fanboys and vehement Glock haters. Fanboyism is mental retardation, and hating a product cause it is popular or the "standard" is nearly equally as retarded. Always impresses me how much people can prove the lack of brain cells by wasting time debating a known quantity. There is a good reason why they are so popular.

Oddly enough, my carry is now a Shield Plus, and I have two 43s, many 19/23s and 17/22s, as well as a 30, 20, and 21sf. Not one 1911 in the entirety of my collection of other specimens.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
iammaxwell

Post by iammaxwell »

I'm not a fan boy. I purposefully avoided them for many years. I think mostly because of all the fanboyness. Really turned me off. I would shoot my buddies Glocks, but never saw anything special in them.
Then in my endeavor to simplify and consolidate, one day the light bulb flashed in my mind. The solution was what I had been avoiding.
I guess I would say I'm a convert. Sure "better" things are out there. Kinda like a SBC or AR15, not my 1st choice but there's a reason they're so popular - they just work. They're simplicity (i.e. "lack of special"), idiot-proof manual of arms , they're everywhere (i.e. everyone and their brother's got 1+), etc. is ultimately what made me come around to them. Plus the versatility of the mags can't be beat.
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

Lots of people bash Glock for "lack of innovation" yet fail to realize this is why they sell.

You go to a gun store - and there are literally over 40 models of Sig 320 with a bunch of marketing dildo names like "Macro" and "VTAC" and "Spectre." How is the average consumer going to decipher that? I know tons of people who wanted to buy a pistol, and after 10 minutes staring at the mess of options and models from other manufacturers - bought a Glock. Springfield Armory is/was another one where the marketing people have run amuck.

You look at the Glock section at the store - they all basically look the same, basically have the same triggers, sights, etc. All you have to do if figure out what caliber and what size you want - done. Want a holster - easy peasy as there isn't a huge variation in the firearm.

Glocks are the base model F150s and Toyota Corolla of the gun world. You know what you are buying, you don't need a PHd in the models, a Glock is a Glock - and they get the job done with minimal fuss. For many consumers - there is a ton of value in that.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

I've always been a fan of Glocks. They just work. Not the prettiest gun, not the most ergonomic gun...just a good reliable gun. I look at them like a tool, no a fashion accessory.

I recently picked up a screaming good deal on a Glock 45...it may be the best Glock I've ever owned. Perfect blend of a G19 slide with a G17 frame. Wide front slide serrations, no finger bumps on the frame, no mag removal cut out, ambi mag and slide release. Added a threaded barrel for my Rugged Obsidian, Trijicon sights, and a Olight Valkyrie Pro. Great for home defense, local matches, and concealed carry (if you really wanted to).

My daily carry gun is a Sig P365...I've had it since the week they were released. By far my favorite CCW gun I've ever owned...and I've been through a lot of them over the past 20 years. I've never experienced the issues the guy in the video talked about, and I've got over 3k rounds through my P365. Glock just doesn't make a gun that stacks up to the P365, in regards to capacity, thickness, height, felt recoil, trigger pull, etc. I've shot the P365 side by side with my buddy's G43...and the G43 is sharper when it comes to recoil.
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

I have a few 9mm Glocks but mostly because the slides are easier for my wife to operate. Most of the other popular autoloaders seem to be too difficult for her to operate/clear properly since some health issues she had. So easier slide operation is really the primary reason I have a few. The fact that the magazines are prolific (and cheap) also helps but I'm not really a fan.

For myself, I much prefer my traditional SIG DA/SA pistols for defensive purposes, However, I don't feel uncomfortable with the Glocks or other striker fired poly pistols if I have to use them. I also still love to shoot my 1911's even though they're more just range toys for me. To me they've become archaic like my other outdated guns for serious use. They're like my double action Smith and single action Ruger revolvers. Fun for range toys and I wouldn't want to be without them but not my choice these days for defensive use in today's world.
OMart

Post by OMart »

Not a fan of Glock because with a 17 I consistently hit about an inch and a half low. However, they are the Honda Civic of guns. They run well and forever, can be customized and upgraded relatively easily.
Remow2112

Post by Remow2112 »

If I had to grab 1 gun and bet my life on it. Glock 19 all day every day. I have shot or own about every striker fired gun out there. Still prefer the Glock.
TriggerFish

Post by TriggerFish »

I agree 100% with the video
^This was the first new Glock I got since 1991^
Love it...
...and with a light/laser it's the bedside HDP
TheJediknight

Post by TheJediknight »

paulgt2164 wrote: December 26th, 2022, 4:08 pm Lots of people bash Glock for "lack of innovation" yet fail to realize this is why they sell.

You go to a gun store - and there are literally over 40 models of Sig 320 with a bunch of marketing dildo names like "Macro" and "VTAC" and "Spectre." How is the average consumer going to decipher that? I know tons of people who wanted to buy a pistol, and after 10 minutes staring at the mess of options and models from other manufacturers - bought a Glock. Springfield Armory is/was another one where the marketing people have run amuck.

You look at the Glock section at the store - they all basically look the same, basically have the same triggers, sights, etc. All you have to do if figure out what caliber and what size you want - done. Want a holster - easy peasy as there isn't a huge variation in the firearm.

Glocks are the base model F150s and Toyota Corolla of the gun world. You know what you are buying, you don't need a PHd in the models, a Glock is a Glock - and they get the job done with minimal fuss. For many consumers - there is a ton of value in that.

Mercedes does the same. Hard to tell a 2022 from a 2018.
xerts1911

Post by xerts1911 »

Rock yur Glock
WhiteDragon

Post by WhiteDragon »

I carry and teach w a G47 which gets shot almost daily. Has thousandsof rounds thru it since 2020. I don't even remember the last time I cleaned it... two months ago maybe? I have many other brands and models but I trust my life to my Glocks, hands down.
Attachments
20221102_083219.jpg