I'm not a Glock fanboy, but...

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
rockbronco
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: I'm not a Glock fanboy, but...

Post by rockbronco »

TriggerFish wrote: December 29th, 2022, 9:14 am I agree 100% with the video
^This was the first new Glock I got since 1991^
Love it...
...and with a light/laser it's the bedside HDP
I dig this….I’ve been recently wanting to add a Glock to the family. Nice piece!

Dat_Ginga

Post by Dat_Ginga »

Glocks are great. They work pretty much flawlessly in my experience and the only issues I've had generally are related to ammo. I've had them jam on me a few times but if you shoot anything enough you'll experience that firearm jamming at some point. I carry a Glock 26 in the summer and a Glock 19 in the winter but will also carry a Sig 229 in the winter.

I don't think Glocks are the end all be all of firearms because there are definitely better options for certain things out there. Sure they are probably the best all around gun you can get if you're only going to get one firearm but there are better options out there in terms of accuracy, felt recoil and ergonomics. I've competed with Glock 17's and 34's for years and can hold my own around the state at the local matches. I don't think they hindered me at all besides the sights but I would change those out to a sight set I like. I now compete with a CZ Shadow 2 and although I don't think there is a measurable difference in my shooting skill between the two options, I still prefer to shoot the CZ. I actually prefer to shoot any metal frame 9mm over any polymer frame 9mm but that is another conversation in itself.

I don't think Glock's make the worst or the best carry guns. There are smaller options that carry more ammo and thinner options than the two I carry. I also had a 365 XL and currently own a 365 and never had any of the issues this gentleman is having with his 365. Those guns make a considerably better carry gun than my Glock 26 but I hide my Glock 26 just as easily. I still tend to carry my Glock 26 over the 365 as I have carried it for around 10 years now. I will choose to carry the 365 when I need something thinner and smaller to hide under tighter fitting clothes when I attend church or an event I need to wear nicer clothes.

Now if the end of the world was upon us then I'm grabbing my Glock 19 and leaving the rest of the handguns. Everybody has a Glock 9mm and most of them are probably 19's so it only makes sense. As much as I like my 229, 226, Beretta 92 and CZ Shadow 2 they just don't make sense for something like that.

Glock is the king of aftermarket support. That is one giant reason why they are so popular. You can build a Glock without using any Glock parts and locate a replacement part in just a few minutes if needed. The Sig 320 is catching up but I still think Glock will be a better option for aftermarket parts and accessories. You can also find a holster in pretty much every store in any price point.

Don't get rid of your Glock just because it seems to be a trend. Trends come and go and usually people revert back to what they know after they try something new. I've gotten rid of Glocks before only to buy a new one a little later. Keep them and use and abuse them. They won't do you wrong and you can always get something you like shooting a little more.
mock0013

Post by mock0013 »

QuietM4 wrote: December 26th, 2022, 4:28 pm G43 is sharper when it comes to recoil.
I had to replace the Recoil assembly with a Titanium rod and heavier spring and solved that snappiness. Same problem my Glock 30S in .45 had and the recoil rod/spring assembly fixed that.

I'm at that age where an RMR is would be really nice and the 8 round taran tactical extended G43 with Triijicon HD night sights needs upgrades. But a slide cut and buying a G43x lower doesn't seem worth it versus just upgrading honestly to a 48 as I prefer a longer slide to deal with recoil and can still conceal. Plus I want to add a threaded barrel.

Who, where, and how much was it to get the G43 cut for an optic and refinished like stock?
Is it worth upgrading it?

Thanks for posting as the P365 checked all the right boxes but I have big meat hooks and those sig controls wouldn't work for me.. even glocks extended controls get in my way of my grip/shooting.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

mock0013 wrote: January 19th, 2023, 10:57 pm
QuietM4 wrote: December 26th, 2022, 4:28 pm G43 is sharper when it comes to recoil.
Who, where, and how much was it to get the G43 cut for an optic and refinished like stock?
Is it worth upgrading it?
Wright Armory in Mesa did a Glock for me not too long ago, it was just over $200 for the optic cut and refinish. Looks completely factory, but without the dumb MOS plates…optic is directly mounted to the slide.
Cjhollenshead

Post by Cjhollenshead »

Suck My Glock wrote: December 26th, 2022, 1:17 pm I used to be a dyed-in-the-wool Jeff Cooper faithful acolyte who prayed at the alter of the 1911. And to this day, I still do prefer a nicely tuned and properly appointed 1911 for carry.

HOWEVER,...I dipped my toes in the river of Glock back in 1989, fully expecting to hate and detest it,...but came away saying, "OK, that ain't so horrible." At the time, I just wasn't used to the ergonomics of the Glocks. But mechanically, I had no complaints. And when you combine the economics of a Glock with the mechanical perfectness,...I soon realized that I could have everything I paid all that extra money for to get my 1911 customized, with the exception of the trigger. All that was required was for me to adapt.

Among the features that the Glock comes with that I had to pay extra for on my 1911s;...all the corners and edges are "de-horned",...the Tenifer anti-corrosion finish was as good as or better than anything Robar or Magnaport offerred,...it fed 100% of the time with ANY ammo. Those 3 things are very important, and they pushed the cost on a customized 1911 well over $1000 even in the 80s, but came standard on every Glock for only about $400.

I started out with the basic G17,...eventually got a G20, then a G19,...and before I knew it, I actually became a Glock fan, and carried a Glock more often than I did any of my 1911s.

I have personally put about 90,000 rounds through my first G20 over years of weekly matches and other blasting. In that time, I replaced 3 extractors and 2 front sights. But that's a damned impressive record. I've seen plenty of other abused Glocks that various trainers have actually TRIED to destroy by not maintaining them and just shooting the piss out of them. One trainer I used to know would load his G19 with a blank round and throw it downrange in every single class in order to demonstrate how safe it was. After a few years of that abuse, it looked like it had been left out on the highway and run over by a convoy of gravel trucks. It must have been thrown several hundred times by that point. Not only did it never fire that blank unintentionally,...the damned thing would still empty a magazine without a hiccup when intentionally fired.

So yeah,...I'm a Glock fanboy, and I don't deny it.

And now Gunsites “GGSP” …. Jeff Cooper might be rolling in his grave, maybe not