Glock Safety

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Tenring
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Glock Safety

Post by Tenring »

What company makes the safety for the Glock back plate, trying to find one for a friend. While holstering you can hold it down and not allow the gun to fire.
Thanks for any reply

Boriqua

Re: Glock Safety

Post by Boriqua »

https://langdontactical.com/glock-strik ... evice-scd/

Edited to add some videos for anyone that may not be aware of what it is

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/-BPoZQCEZmA

-------------

kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Tenring wrote: December 10th, 2022, 9:18 am What company makes the safety for the Glock back plate, trying to find one for a friend. While holstering you can hold it down and not allow the gun to fire.
Thanks for any reply
Is it possible you can teach your friend to make sure the trigger doesn't get pressed while holstering???

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

Ignore the naysayers if you want one. I have one and they work.
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

When these first came out it kind of reminded me of Colonel Cooper's old saying "an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem". He coined that to voice his disdain for the DA autoloaders since he always advocated the 1911 platform. Cooper's position was that, with proper training, a SA 1911 carried cocked and locked is as safe as any of the DA designs. The Glock is the same way.

However, looking into them I found the only negative (other than cost, of course) is the possibility of crud entering into the striker area with the device being open like that. I think if I were to carry Glock's for defense purposes (instead of my ancient SIG DA/SA autos) I'd consider them. If it gives you peace of mind when holstering, why not? After all, despite all the training, sometimes sh*t happens.

kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

brandyspaw wrote: December 10th, 2022, 11:22 am When these first came out it kind of reminded me of Colonel Cooper's old saying "an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem". He coined that to voice his disdain for the DA autoloaders since he always advocated the 1911 platform. Cooper's position was that, with proper training, a SA 1911 carried cocked and locked is as safe as any of the DA designs. The Glock is the same way.

However, looking into them I found the only negative (other than cost, of course) is the possibility of crud entering into the striker area with the device being open like that. I think if I were to carry Glock's for defense purposes (instead of my ancient SIG DA/SA autos) I'd consider them. If it gives you peace of mind when holstering, why not? After all, despite all the training, sometimes sh*t happens.

If, the only gun you ever carried was one with this device, then I might agree. Procedural memory (training) happens, and when the adrenaline is flowing, you revert to your lowest level of training. As long as you are aware this device might become an impediment to you having to make that one bang that saves your life.

There's always someone who thinks using this device will keep them safe, until it doesn't. Adding one more layer to Murphy's law.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

Yes - why not.

I always ask the experts that say, my finger is my safety ..... if they remove the safety off their AR and other firearms also because their finger is so smart. Personally, I no longer own any Glocks, there are just too many better and safer options to choose from.

and if you want to take the chance it's your choice, after all you own every bullet fired from the firearm.

Fact is everyone makes mistakes, I have seen Master Class Shooters, guys that I have shot with for 30+ years make mistakes, including myself, it happens. Anyone who says they never make a mistake and never will is lying/just not honest with themselves, so why not use every advantage you can to be safe.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Why not just carry it without one in the chamber?

This is a real question. Not trolling.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

Doc wrote: December 10th, 2022, 12:50 pm Why not just carry it without one in the chamber?

It depends on what caliber and type of lube used on the firearm.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Tenring wrote: December 10th, 2022, 12:27 pm Yes - why not.

I always ask the experts that say, my finger is my safety ..... if they remove the safety off their AR and other firearms also because their finger is so smart. Personally, I no longer own any Glocks, there are just too many better and safer options to choose from.

and if you want to take the chance it's your choice, after all you own every bullet fired from the firearm.

Fact is everyone makes mistakes, I have seen Master Class Shooters, guys that I have shot with for 30+ years make mistakes, including myself, it happens. Anyone who says they never make a mistake and never will is lying/just not honest with themselves, so why not use every advantage you can to be safe.

If your buddy gets it be sure to come back to tell us what he/you think of it.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Tenring wrote: December 10th, 2022, 1:05 pm
Doc wrote: December 10th, 2022, 12:50 pm Why not just carry it without one in the chamber?

It depends on what caliber and type of lube used on the firearm.
I don’t know what I don’t know.

How would lube or caliber negatively effect “Israeli carry” / condition 3?
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

Boriqua wrote: December 10th, 2022, 1:30 pm
Tenring wrote: December 10th, 2022, 12:27 pm Yes - why not.

If your buddy gets it be sure to come back to tell us what he/you think of it.
Sent him the link to this thread, I like the concept for sure, just like holding the hammer on a DA/SA firearm when holstering. Thanks for the info.
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

brandyspaw wrote: December 10th, 2022, 11:22 am .... the only negative .. is the possibility of crud entering into the striker area with the device being open like that.
With any regular hip/leg holster, your muzzle is pointed down, and the device remains closed under gravity. It only 'open's when the striker moves to the rear, which is when something is depressing the trigger. If that's something that doesn't belong in the trigger guard, and your thumb is on the device, you get the tactile feedback to STOP holstering!
kenpoprofessor wrote: December 10th, 2022, 12:19 pm ... this device might become an impediment to you having to make that one bang that saves your life.
I just don't see how that could happen. You're doing the same thing to fire the gun with, or without it.
Pull trigger. That's it. It only comes into play when holstering the pistol. Dirt simple in design, and operation.

No, I don't have stock in the dang things, LOL. Just thing it's a pretty neat, practical option.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Have your friend include proper holster purchase, specifically designed for the Austrian wonder pistol preferably