Are 1911's too antiquated these days?

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
brandyspaw
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Are 1911's too antiquated these days?

Post by brandyspaw »

(I posted most of this in another forum as a response to a young shooter's impressions of the 1911.)

Are 1911's obsolete? To me Yes and No- it just depends on your use. I'm a boomer who's been shooting 1911's for decades but they've never been my favorite. My interest in them has ebbed/flowed because of the various manufacturer's quality over the years. Back in the seventies when I first started shooting everyone bought Colts because they were the only 1911's other than some foreign stuff. While the old Colts were beautiful looking guns most all needed work to function well, all needed decent triggers and all needed better sights except for possibly for Gold Cups.

Unfortunately, it used to be difficult to find decent gunsmiths to do pistolsmithing work. The big names were backed up to like forever and others that would take on the work usually left a bit to be desired--at least in my neck of the woods. So I totally abandoned 1911's for while until Kimber came out with their CNC machined, properly featured 1911's. However, only the early guns were decent as they started doing external extractors and they revamped the guns with firing pin safeties and ruined the triggers. So I drifted away from 1911's again.

However the growth of the semi-custom 1911 lead me back to a final renewed interest in the 1911. Getting a Les Baer and then a Wilson Combat showed me how good a 1911 can be. I now have cheaper guns including a couple of Springfield Armory's, a Dan Wesson and some others. Today's 1911's have come a long way with better fit and most makers now build decent 1911's. That said, I'll still use my old SIG's and my Glocks for any possible serious defensive uses but the 1911's do make great range toys. They're enjoyable to shoot since they have unbeatably light, crisp triggers and now true reliability.

QuangTri

Re: Are 1911's too antiquated these days?

Post by QuangTri »

Not for me, I will always have a 1911. Would have more than one if the good stuff was not upwards of $1k.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

This is new. Never heard this discussion before.
:roll:
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Are they antiquated .. yes. are they obsolete or a poor choice for self defense. Absolutely not. If you can practice to the point of reliably disengaging the thumb safety, which is infinitely doable ... its as relevant as ever with a great cartridge.

Only gun I truly regret ever selling was a Stainless Springfield TRP. I dont know what I was thinking. I have posted this target before but .. before my eyesight went to crap this was 21 rounds from that gun at 7 yds. I have gotten kinda close but never have been able to replicate it.
target1crop.jpg
Having said that .. one of the first guns I bought on coming out here after my sig was a Colt commander. Luckily I bought it from davidsons and through Mont because I could never get it to run so they sent me another one and I couldnt get that one to run either .. but that TRP was a dream.

Sure its heavy but nothing feels as good in the hand or points as naturally, IMHO, as a 1911 and its as relevant a Self Defense choice today as it was 100 years ago.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

smithers599 wrote: November 18th, 2022, 2:59 pm This is new. Never heard this discussion before.
My exact thought before I read your post.

Let's argue 9mm vs 45acp...that's a debate that certainly has never been argued.
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

QuietM4 wrote: November 18th, 2022, 3:27 pm
smithers599 wrote: November 18th, 2022, 2:59 pm This is new. Never heard this discussion before.

Let's argue 9mm vs 45acp...that's a debate that certainly has never been argued.
Well, what sparked the post was simply the perspective of that young shooter from another forum who'd previously rejected the 1911. But then he had a chance to use a good one for an extended time. Now he wants to move away from the poly pistols he began with and switch to more 1911's for defense.

However, I don't like 1911's for defense but that's just because I've never felt comfortable carrying them in condition 1. I've just always felt there were better choices for defense (especially these days) than a single action pistol. But I also feel there's not a better tool for range use and they're just fun toys. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought so many of them if I didn't like them. I was just curious how many here dismiss them as dated and how many still feel they have some redeeming social quality.
So sorry this isn't a unique enough topic for some of you.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

I've never "rejected" 1911's, they're just not practical for me. From a self defense perspective, they've got too many "not go bang" issues to resolve. Now, I like them, and I'll shoot everybody else's, but I won't own again.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Ginger or Mary Ann?
That Guy

Post by That Guy »

The design isn’t antiquated. The round is.
428cj

Post by 428cj »

I will keep my 1911's in 45. Both keep on working.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

If 1911's are "antiquated", I don't ever want to hear it from anyone that owns a bolt action.

Guns are tools, at a basic level. Every tool has a best use scenario. It would be dumb to attempt to turn a Torx head screw with a Phillips head screw driver. Can it work? Of course...but it isn't the best tool for the job.

If someone made a 1911 the size of my Sig P365 that holds 12 rounds of 9mm in a gun 1" wide or less, I'd certainly consider it. But such a 1911 doesn't exist. In my opinion, the smallest Officer sized 1911 is a poor choice for a daily concealed carry pistol. Can it work? Of course...but it isn't the best tool for the job.

NOW...you need a high capacity, full size race pistol to bang steel? Staccato/STI/Atlas/2011 ALL DAY.
Last edited by QuietM4 on November 18th, 2022, 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

smithers599 wrote: November 18th, 2022, 6:55 pm

Ginger or Mary Ann?
Ford or Chevy?
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

smithers599 wrote: November 18th, 2022, 6:55 pm

Ginger or Mary Ann?
we can argue the merits of the 1911 all day but .... Mary Ann or Ginger. Not a discussion ... Mary Ann all day every day. Sheesh :mrgreen:
Joe_Blacke

Post by Joe_Blacke »

I’m a gun guy. I like guns. I love 1911s. I enjoy plastic striker fired guns.

I don’t give a crap on anyone else’s opinion. I have what I have because I enjoy them. I carry what I carry because they function and I shoot them the best.

The gun culture is a bunch of lemmings. They get all excited over instagram “influencers”, and are probably the biggest group of followers I’ve ever seen. They all follow the latest trends based on people who get paid to pump products.

Define your own criteria for what you need/want. Stop listening to others, especially if their use case isn’t like yours.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

1911 - Mary Ann - .45ACP - Chevy