New Colt Revolver question

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

New Colt Revolver question

Post by Boriqua »

Got my daily CDNN eflyer and they have the 3" python and 3" cobra listed. Not really interested as I am happy with my ruger but .. is there some mechanical difference between the 2. It looks like the python adds wood grips and a vented barrel and it is nearly double the price. Whew sounds like a huge price difference if it is just cosmetic . Does the python receive more hand fitting?

pneuby

Re: New Colt Revolver question

Post by pneuby »

Cobra is somewhat akin to the size of Smith's K-frames, e.g. M66
Python is larger frame and differing lockwork like an L-frame, e.g. 686.
Latter is larger, heavier, with what seems to be a better action. Plus, there's all
of the history and panache of that marque over time, blah blah blah...
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

pneuby wrote: October 23rd, 2022, 7:04 am Cobra is somewhat akin to the size of Smith's K-frames, e.g. M66
Python is larger frame and differing lockwork like an L-frame, e.g. 686.
Latter is larger, heavier, with what seems to be a better action. Plus, there's all
of the history and panache of that marque over time, blah blah blah...
Thanks for that Pneuby! Still to much damned money but at least I understand the difference now.
needsmostuff

Post by needsmostuff »

Boriqua wrote: October 21st, 2022, 7:58 am Does the python receive more hand fitting?
Hand fitting is not a goal for manufacturers, Colt included.
It is a leftover from when parts were made with big plus and minus.
Now days they can make more precisely and expect them drop in precisely.
If you watch the video of the Rugger assembly line, they stress their guns are made by machine operators, not gunsmiths.
Hand fitted also means way more headaches for someone repairing it in the future.
Python versus Cobra ?
Besides the above-mentioned size difference think range gun (adjustable sights) versus carry gun (fixed sights).
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

The new Pythons are nothing like the old hand fitted guns. There nice but not as nice as the price indicates. The average joe would think the trigger is good which it is. I think they need gunsmith help to be even close to an original python. The Cobras i know nothing about other than smaller not vent rib full underling barrel and not a python. The 3" is about a perfect length IMO. If you like colts these are cool. Its way better than a GP100 out of the box. But at 2x the cost it should be. I like GP100s but without work all Ruger revolvers have horrible triggers including the single action guns. If you dont know what a good revolver trigger feels like find out you will be amazed how good they can be.