Sig Strikers .. Not me

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Sig Strikers .. Not me

Post by Boriqua »

I have read all the horse $hit about negligence being the sole cause of Sig strikers lighting off rounds. Know all the safety rules but .. where there is smoke there is usually fire and there is just to much anecdotal evidence that they are not safe. Love my P series sig but I wouldnt touch one of their strikers. Something is up..

smithers599

Re: Sig Strikers .. Not me

Post by smithers599 »

Not me, either.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

And to think some carry them AIWB.
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

DA/SA SIG's look better and better all the time.
QuangTri

Post by QuangTri »

I ended up with a Glock 30, but did not like much of any of the striker fired offerings some years back. Still do not like the Glock trigger.

Really will be looking for a compact .45 DA/SA hammer fired pistol as an alternate.
samnev

Post by samnev »

Boriqua wrote: October 18th, 2022, 4:16 pm I have read all the horse $hit about negligence being the sole cause of Sig strikers lighting off rounds. Know all the safety rules but .. where there is smoke there is usually fire and there is just to much anecdotal evidence that they are not safe. Love my P series sig but I wouldnt touch one of their strikers. Something is up..

Same here love my P series SIG's but don't like striker pistols.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

This is an older video so likely before the "voluntary" recall but still .. pretty scary. Guy has a whole lead in so just fast forward to about 6:15.

I dont think its the lack of trigger dingus. I think it has to be the way the striker is engaged. Be that as it may ... I wouldnt carry it.
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

Is this issue the same for the m18/m17 series guns as well. I have an M17 that i traded for but have never fired. Kind of scary if this is a repeatable thing.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

h8pvmnt wrote: October 19th, 2022, 12:10 pm Is this issue the same for the m18/m17 series guns as well. I have an M17 that i traded for but have never fired. Kind of scary if this is a repeatable thing.
I had little interest in the striker Sigs so I didnt follow the Military's contract stuff very much but what seems to be the gun at issue, at least from stories I keep running into, is the 320. How close that is to the M17 I just am ignorant about.

I like sigs and have some .. but I have the classic sigs so I dont have a dog in the fight but I keep running into stories about guns going off even after the recall.

https://www.policemag.com/645746/milwau ... h-sig-p320

https://www.fox6now.com/news/why-milwau ... -going-off

This story is a little more suspect since the gun was in her purse but ... she says it was holstered .. still there is room for user error .. I guess.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/detective-sue ... d=79605906

Forgive me again for not having all the details but I read it had something to do with the way that sig pre-tensions the striker making it less safe than other strikers like say a Glock.
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

M17, military Sig 320s, have a manual-safety which I 'think' is required to be engaged via policy and training. I don't know if that would prevent the issue, or not. I don't know of a single PD issuing one with the safety option, but never say never.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

pneuby wrote: October 23rd, 2022, 6:20 am M17, military Sig 320s, have a manual-safety which I 'think' is required to be engaged via policy and training. I don't know if that would prevent the issue, or not. I don't know of a single PD issuing one with the safety option, but never say never.
I wonder what the detent on the safety is like. Is it firm and confidence inspiring?
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/202 ... 433980002/

Other issues with P320 around the country
At least 22 lawsuits have been filed against Sig Sauer since 2018 alleging the P320 fired without anyone pulling the trigger. The lawsuits originate from Missouri, Massachusetts, Kentucky, Georgia and elsewhere. Eighteen have been filed since 2020.
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

I have had a few 320 series (and still have a couple...) and while I haven't been rolling around in the dirt using it to dig holes, throwing them up against walls, and hitting them with hammers - over several thousands rounds total I haven't seen any indication nor have I had any reason to believe they were unsafe. This reminds me of the hoop-lah with Glocks.

I guess time will tell.
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Time has told.

They are unsafe. They go off in holsters, in storage just sitting there as well as when dropped or impacted.

Not always or predictably but they will kil and have injured.
Remington 700 ring bells.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

everyones mileage will differ, am extremely happy with mine, although do not carry it, they are range rats. so...........as it goes