Sig Strikers .. Not me

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Sig Strikers .. Not me

Post by Boriqua »

Crippledtrigger wrote: October 24th, 2022, 6:23 am Time has told.

They are unsafe. They go off in holsters, in storage just sitting there as well as when dropped or impacted.

Not always or predictably but they will kil and have injured.
Remington 700 ring bells.
I had never heard of the issues with the Remington 700 so I looked it up and the first article was

https://www.wardblacklaw.com/blog/the-r ... -lawsuits/

Interesting .. learned something new

YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

I've built 4 P320s so far with combination of SIG parts and aftermarket and have another almost complete. The only problem I've run into was an aftermarket slide that had too much Cerakote in channel for the extractor pin and spring, causing failure to extract.

One issue I can see is even with the crappiest striker and trigger parts, trigger pull comes in at around 4#. That might make it easier for a UD under pressure or mishandling. One of my builds, with an Apex trigger, comes in at 3#.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Here is a somewhat long but informative video on how the striker and safety works in the 320.

It does seem to me that in order to get a really light trigger the striker is under tension once racked. There is not a whole lot to overcome to get a bang. Guys I am not a gun smith so if I am seeing it wrong I know you will chime in.

Not a glock or striker fan boy but in videos of the glock function it seems the trigger pull at least partly compresses the striker spring before letting it forward. With no pretension on the spring you could virtually throw it off a building and it cant go off. Could be the key difference. In all .. It still is a small number of reports based on the number of 320's sold but .. Think I will stick with DA/SA. Especially if I entertain pointing it at my doodle IWB
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Glocks are not, and as far as I know never have, going off in holsters just sitting there. These are.

The Glock issues were trigger discipline and getting something in the trigger guard during holstering.

We all said "ya right it just went off" and rolled our eyes but there have been several where there were witnesses of these guns just going off while holsterd. One was partially recorded and witnessed where a transit cop was sitting in a golf cart and not moving and the thing went off. Another IIRC just went off sitting in a desk drawer with no one around.

Somethings phuckey, as the guy says.

I'm not even including the obvious and repeatedly demonstrated drop safe issues which have already injured several people.
samnev

Post by samnev »

There was is video this site by Boriqua Post #1 which shows a guy holstering his 365XL where it showed his hands nowhere near the trigger and he had an AD. ruined his holster and pants narrowly missing his leg and foot. I've read many other AD with the 365. Not for me not ever.
Joe_Blacke

Post by Joe_Blacke »

The initial problem with the 320 was with mass/inertia. Because there is no trigger safety like with glock/M&p etc the gun falling and striking a surface would cause the trigger to move, which would disengage the striker safety and trip the sear. Basically the gun acted as if the trigger was pulled.

There are videos out there about the 365 which indicate a timing issue between the trigger being pulled and the striker safety being disengaged.

Personally I’m not comfortable carrying the 320 or 365. Hopefully we do see anyone having a discharge while appendix carrying while seated.
Basher

Post by Basher »

Couple day old thread, but I don’t care lol.

As noted earlier, Glocks are kind of a bastard mix of both DA and SA. The striker isn’t under full tension with the trigger fully forward, so they can’t fire as they sit and require the trigger to be pulled to fully retract and then release the firing pin (“double action”). And once released, the striker is just far enough forward of the trigger bar that it isn’t engaged (“single action”). Add in the firing pin block, and Glocks actually have an incredibly safe and reliable firing system, at least in stock form.

Many other striker fired platforms hold the striker under enough tension to fire if it is somehow prematurely released. The Sig striker guns are one example. I’d love to get a P365XL for AIWB carry, but I just don’t trust them enough to do so. I’ll AIWB a Glock or some other DA/SA gun (to include the class P-series) any day, however.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

The lawsuit:

List of incidents starts on page 15.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

OMart

Post by OMart »

Rumor has it that here in Tucson, an officer was going from his patrol car to the door at a substation while carrying a double arm full of stuff and his P320 went off in his holster. All on surveillance, hands full, no way he could have touched his weapon.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Joelafives

Post by Joelafives »

Sent mine back after the recall. Works great. Super accurate
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

While I don't consider the washington post a reliable source. It is disconcerting to see this still coming up. I put thumb safety's on all my p365s on my dads and my son's. But im getting so tainted by all this. Sig continues to sell these with no safety. The new macro xl has no model option with a safety. The grip frame is more difficult to modify to install the safety. I dont know what to think. Not hearing much about military guns having issues. But maybe they dont carry loaded as a general rule idk. Or maybe the manual safety mitigates it. I'm not even positive having the manual safety solves it. There iis no recall on any of them and no repair program even on the 365. Sooo... What is going on.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

h8pvmnt wrote: April 16th, 2023, 10:13 am While I don't consider the washington post a reliable source. It is disconcerting to see this still coming up. I put thumb safety's on all my p365s on my dads and my son's. But im getting so tainted by all this. Sig continues to sell these with no safety. The new macro xl has no model option with a safety. The grip frame is more difficult to modify to install the safety. I dont know what to think. Not hearing much about military guns having issues. But maybe they dont carry loaded as a general rule idk. Or maybe the manual safety mitigates it. I'm not even positive having the manual safety solves it. There iis no recall on any of them and no repair program even on the 365. Sooo... What is going on.
If you have to install a safety on your gun to feel "safe", you should probably buy something else. None of my carry pieces have a safety, for a damn good reason as well.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde