Do you / would you consider CCW a Revolver?

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Do you / would you consider CCW a Revolver?

Post by Boriqua »

I know the downsides, They are lumpy, They dont take debris well so any of those torture tests where they are encrusted with mud usually makes them fail. There is round capacity but its importance could be debated.

Of all the guns I have owned and currently own .. I shoot revolver the best. I have done things with my gutter sight GP100 people say I shouldn't be able to do. It is by far the gun I shoot best. I shoot semi auto's I would venture to say better than many but I can pick what nostril to hit with my GP. Love that gun and its my walking the desert gun. Now in all honesty .. I have owned it for years but I have another revolver I shoot ALMOST as well and its a newer addition. I learned to shoot with one.

Yea it has down sides but .. well does anyone carry a revolver as their daily walk about gun? Would you?

Ballistic Therapy

Re: Do you / would you consider CCW a Revolver?

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

You say you shoot it better than any other gun , so why not carry it ?
I have and know quite a few people that carry revolvers.
I don't see any downfall in it.
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

I have a S&W 360J in 38+p that is in the carry rotation.
Light, compact and fits the hand well.

She's a snappy little git.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

792mauser wrote: October 17th, 2022, 4:22 pm I have a S&W 360J in 38+p that is in the carry rotation.
Light, compact and fits the hand well.

She's a snappy little git.
Yes, these are even lighter than a G43. If it prints reliably at expected combat distance, by all means, carry what you can hit with.

As a BUG, a little J-frame like that makes excellent sense if you think it might ever need to be handed to a companion to protect you both or if you are incapacitated. Hopefully your companion is also a shooter, but even the uneducated generally understand how to make a revolver go bang.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

when i wore long pants (another life) i had a small .38 in an angle holster, lol, i was in autoz one one day and the first ankle holster i bought was a cheap, and it slid down and i drop kicked it on the way into the store, got the strangest look from a few, picked it up and said loudly'' hell there you are, been looking for you all day''
happy monday
rj
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

I've been carrying J frame S&W revolvers off and on for many years. They were always the aluminum frame models (either the M642 or M442) in 38 Special. I was always going back to revolvers because the little sub-compact 9mm autos I kept buying and trying just never seemed to be fully 100% reliable.

So I'd always fall back into carrying my old reliable J frame revolvers. I finally found a small 9mm that seems to be running at 100% but I still occasionally carry one of the J frame Smiths.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

A J-frame revolver is a great backup piece. A properly tuned J-frame is awesome...
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Yesterday, I went to Costco, and just on a whim, strapped on a Model 629 loaded with Federal .44 Specials, with 6 more in a Speed Strip. DeSantis OWB holster, covered by Hawaiian-type shirt. I didn't feel unarmed!

Today, though, I came to my senses, and carried a full-size 1911, IWB.

BTW, I went shopping for eggs. No eggs at Costco! So I went to Safeway, and eggs are now $4.50/dozen. Welcome to Bernie Sanders' America. More and more like Cuba every day.
Kingjoey

Post by Kingjoey »

I have two first-gen stainless Bulldogs in 44 Special and a S&W 437 Airweight that get CCed for a BUG. They all fit the same holster fortunately
Kingjoey

Post by Kingjoey »

smithers599 wrote: October 18th, 2022, 6:03 pm BTW, I went shopping for eggs. No eggs at Costco! So I went to Safeway, and eggs are now $4.50/dozen. Welcome to Bernie Sanders' America. More and more like Cuba every day.
Yup, I'm making $120k this year and it's not going as far as $90k did two years ago. Biden and the rest of the crooks need tarred and feathered
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

over 6 bucks at safeway up north
billdeserthills
Banned
Banned

Post by billdeserthills »

smithers599 wrote: October 18th, 2022, 6:03 pm Yesterday, I went to Costco, and just on a whim, strapped on a Model 629 loaded with Federal .44 Specials, with 6 more in a Speed Strip. DeSantis OWB holster, covered by Hawaiian-type shirt. I didn't feel unarmed!

BTW, I went shopping for eggs. No eggs at Costco! So I went to Safeway, and eggs are now $4.50/dozen. Welcome to Bernie Sanders' America. More and more like Cuba every day.

Not against blaming demidiots but it looks to be a bird flu

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-nea ... 10-18-2022
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

billdeserthills wrote: October 18th, 2022, 8:27 pm
smithers599 wrote: October 18th, 2022, 6:03 pm Yesterday, I went to Costco, and just on a whim, strapped on a Model 629 loaded with Federal .44 Specials, with 6 more in a Speed Strip. DeSantis OWB holster, covered by Hawaiian-type shirt. I didn't feel unarmed!

Not against blaming demidiots but it looks to be a bird flu

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-nea ... 10-18-2022
On a different forum I also frequent, they have a prepper section with an ongoing thread entitled "The latest in shortages", which has been going on since late 2020. People from all over the country report in what is short in their area and what they are paying. The whole thread is a slow-rolling live-action horror show.
Solar_Empire

Post by Solar_Empire »

Full size? I don't see a point. I shoot my k/l frames about the same as I do any semi so I always would default to more capacity given size similarities. But if you enjoy it, can handle carrying it and are proficient then why not? I'm sure you know what they say about others opinions. As for my concealed carry...

31 y.o. I alternate between a 351pd with federal hp mags (they don't expand but they shoot and extract excellent) and a 360pd with Speer GD short barrel 357 loads. I tried a walther pps m2 years ago and had constant failure to go into battery, sent it back for fixing, walther seemed to take care of the problem but lost confidence and traded it away. I'm currently testing out a sig 365 and while it is pretty small, the more time goes on the more it feels like a brick. It shoots fine but the jury is still out. I have a S&W 40 shield I adore but it's a hair too tall to effectively pocket carry and draw even with the flush mag in with the clothing I wear. Tried a LCR once and wasn't impressed and sold it pretty quick.

I'm a pocket carry guy. I've tried for years to carry on the waist but dealing with two nieces, 3 kids from my best buddy, the glorious AZ heat I was born and raised in, and just general life it's so easy to throw a j-frame with a speed strip in my pocket. I can bend over, run, walk for miles, jump, roll around and in my pocket it stays with no thoughts about printing or anything jabbing me in the love handles or belly...I did what anyone who carries daily should do and practiced and perfected my draw. I'm sure I'll take some flak because pocket carry has been a no-no for the ultra tactical crowd but I don't care. My 2 revolvers fit my lifestyle and that's all that matters.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

My 642 is my exercise carry gun loaded with

https://underwoodammo.com/38-special-p- ... gas-check/

OK/Good with it to about 9 yds

But my 3" Gp100 is and has been magic in my hand. So much so that I am considering making an IWB for it