Do you / would you consider CCW a Revolver?

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Noshoot
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Do you / would you consider CCW a Revolver?

Post by Noshoot »

My cargo shorts and a t-shirt/polo carry is a 642 loaded with 125 +P’s in my pocket.
I don’t feel unprepared in the least bit.
Sometimes I’ll carry an extra speed strip loaded up with the same round in a cargo pocket.

BigNate

Post by BigNate »

It's all about how you prioritize stuff and weight those priorities - and we all do that differently...

I see the following as areas for consideration:
1) How well do you shoot the gun - how fast and accurate are you with it?
2) What is the capacity of the gun?
3) How easy is it to reload?
4) How effective is the cartridge?
5) How easy is it to conceal?
6) How comfortable is it when concealed / how much does it weigh / how does it feel when you've been carrying it all day?
7) What threat are you preparing for?

At the end of the day - if you can't shoot it, won't carry it because it makes you miserable, it can't be concealed, it's in an ineffective cartridge (an old friend used to carry a .22 short pocket pistol that I'm guessing wouldn't make it through my fat - not to mention my jacket) - then it does not do you much good.

I've never EDC'd a revolver - but there have been times when the GP100 with hot .357mag rounds in it was the best tool that I had available to me (taking a walk in bear country - that had enough up and down in it that I really didn't want to carry the lever gun) - so it got carried.

My wife's carry gun is an SP-101. She does not carry daily and does not shoot as much as I'd like her to - but she's practiced with it and competent to use it if necessary. I can't say the same for her with a semi-auto pistol. Would she, in a crisis, have the muscle memory to clear any one of the various malfunctions that can occur when cycling a semi-auto pistol? I don't know. However, I know that outside of some really, really, unlikely scenarios - when she pulls the trigger in the SP-101 - it will go bang - and if it doesn't, her protocol to "clear the malfunction" is to pull the trigger again. For her - this simplicity really pushes this up the list and makes it the right choice. For me - not so much. I practice a lot more - because I like it, and because I want to be good with the tool that I carry. I want more capacity (19+1 > 5), a flatter gun that can be comfortably carried IWB with minimal printing, something that fits my larger hand better than the small handle on her SP-101, something faster to reload, etc. So I make a different choice. What is best for her and what is best for me are two totally different things - so we make a different choice.

If you love your revolver, shoot it well, and can comfortably carry / conceal it - and when you compare it to other options your skill level / comfort level with the gun outweighs the lack of capacity and bulkiness - then go for it. My GUESS is that if I were trying to EDC conceal a GP100 it would not take long for me to come to the determination that it was not the best tool - not because of accuracy, or the cartridge, or reliability - but because having that big, odd-shaped, hunk of steel pressed into my side all day would probably drive me nuts. Carrying a small, light, revolver on my ankle might be a different story. YMMV.

Just my 2 cents.
Mike-4

Post by Mike-4 »

When I'm out and about, I usually carry my P365, at home I often carry a S&W 638 with .38 plus P. My first CCW was a S&W Model 60 back in 1985, still have it.
SupportTheSecond

Post by SupportTheSecond »

Another advantage for the ladies is that firing from an enclosure like a purse is preferred to others since it won't get hung up on something. There is actually a lady shooting instructor on YouTube that demonstrates the technique.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

SupportTheSecond wrote: November 13th, 2022, 1:33 pm Another advantage for the ladies is that firing from an enclosure like a purse is preferred to others since it won't get hung up on something. There is actually a lady shooting instructor on YouTube that demonstrates the technique.
Purse carry should never be recommended, ever. If a thief is after the purse, it's easy enough to cut the strap/s and yank it off, and now they have the gun in the purse. If they're going to carry in a purse, they need to hold it like they're holding onto life itself, because it might mean they are if the thief gets it.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

Pocket revolver is a favorite bug. Old Model 12 is a sometime main. I have no concerns with it.
OMart

Post by OMart »

Carried a Taurus 605 for many years as my conceal piece. Carry whatever makes you comfortable.
Lucafu1

Post by Lucafu1 »

I pocket carry a LCR 9mm every single day.
AZ Pete
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by AZ Pete »

sure, a Model 38.
MTURBO

Post by MTURBO »

Yes.
smb

Post by smb »

I've been appendix carrying an LCR for about a year. Very easy to conceal with any outfit and also doesn't feel like I'm weighed down. I also have a few compacts I carry, but the LCR is the smallest and least printing. I have larger hands and have no problem with draw or handling. I can shoot well enough with it to get to whatever I need to if I need more power. I do plan on a 365XL in the near future but I'm waiting to see if any other double stack small 9s get announced at SHOT this year.
Firewhenready7

Post by Firewhenready7 »

Not much can go wrong with a revolver. Semi's give you more rounds but it fails, then all those rounds don't matter.
blasternaz

Post by blasternaz »

Pocket dump, Feb 23
Pocket dump 2 23.jpg
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

blasternaz wrote: February 4th, 2023, 4:39 pm Pocket dump, Feb 23

Pocket dump 2 23.jpg
Where's the gun what goes with the magazine and the holster?
blasternaz

Post by blasternaz »

On the head board. Sig 365 9mm.